Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 AM
Large Rat

Question Class selection advice, please (for the indecisive min-maxer)

Thanks for reading. This thread is one part "What does the server need more of?" and one part "Which classes were totally overpowered in Velious content?"

I like pulling and tanking so I gravitate toward SKs for the whole FD thing. But I wonder if War and Pal are just better tank classes.

Despite that, I'll probably end up healing -- and that means cleric. How is sham, though? (Anybody want to suggest druid? Ha..)

And then there's DPS. This is just: what's OP, what's not. Nec? Rogue? Ranger?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:59 AM
Planar Protector

The server doesn't necessarily "need" more of anything in the sense that there's no glaring weakness in the general population. It's an old game; by and large the community knows what's needed. That being said, I don't think I've ever seen a guild say it had too many Clerics so that's a fairly safe bet if you like the job it does and want to be in demand.

None of the tank classes in this game are ideal for all purposes. Warriors are THE go-to tank type for higher-end raiding because of their defensive discipline. However, their initial ("snap") hate generation is low, causing them to have some trouble in ordinary groups. Paladins and Shadow Knights are the opposite: Very good in ordinary groups, okay for lower-end raids, but they run out of steam as tanks after that and are not used for higher-end raid tanking.

Most of the community regards Paladins and Shadow Knights as almost equivalent for the tank job. I regard the Paladin as slightly better, because of having a more comprehensive tanking toolset, but the difference is not large. Either will tank any content the other can. The Shadow Knight does indeed double as a competent puller so if you want a plate-type tank class that tanks well for group content through lower-end raids and doubles as a puller, the Shadow Knight will give good service.

If you want to be a main healer, you want to be a Cleric. It's the only serious main-healer class, and the only priest type who can revive dead players. During the leveling phase, Shamans and Druids can often fill in for a Cleric when the latter isn't available, but both give up a lot of healing power relative to the Cleric. At level 60 a Shaman can heal any ordinary group content using Torpor but most melee types dislike that spell (it's a heal-over-time that slows its recipient), it still can't revive players who die, and can't keep up with main-healing raids.

At level 60, Enchanters are severely overpowered on Project 1999, followed closely by Shamans. Bards can level faster than any other character. Monks are usually regarded as overall the strongest melee type, particularly for the minority of players who obtain the highest-end equipment.

Danth
Old 04-20-2019, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Pulling and tanking?

That's monk.

Healing? Cleric or shaman are more powerful in some circumstances, but a Druid can heal and fund your monk by whoring out its ports.

Monks are just broken in Velious; their constraints in unexpanded was weak itemisation, a deliberate design decision.

By the end of velious they can cap their worn AC (which coupled with their defence skills lets them avoid and mitigate hits better than a warrior), they have excellent ratio weapons, which capitalises on their improved damage tables (in unexpanded they were intended to use their fists or crappy ratio blunt weapons). They have incredible white damage aggro, but can also drop aggro at a whim. They can also self heal without mana which works around the thing that tends to make soloing difficult. Oh and they can self haste effectively, letting them operate at close to max dps unsupported.

Absolutely a min maxers class.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Large Rat

Thanks a lot for the advice. More than anything, it's just confirmed to focus on the cleric but the rest of the tips and suggestions are really appreciated.

I also poked around and found some other threads about class balance and need, so those were helpful. What's wrong with WIZ in the current balance, btw? Not enough DPS, too likely to pull aggro I take it?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Planar Protector

Most high end group have an enchanter, or some kind of CC, so spending the time to FD single pull is a waste of time in the most instances. I also almost never see paladins or shadowknights actually pulling.

So if you want to be a tanky puller, monk is definitely your choice. Jimjam is spot on, defensively monks are OP in this era. There is a reason monks are so popular.

If you want to be a pure dps, go rogue. They are welcome in basically every group ever, even if there is already rogues in the group. Mages are also great for this role.

If you want to be a healer, be a cleric. There really isn't another choice. Shamans a support role most of the time. Yes they can heal, but most groups want a shaman for slows and buffs, and a cleric to heal.

Regarding wizards, their sustained dps is terrible. Nobody will ever want to group with you above 50 unless they just feel bad for you. On the plus side they can solo to 60 pretty easily.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also poked around and found some other threads about class balance and need, so those were helpful. What's wrong with WIZ in the current balance, btw? Not enough DPS, too likely to pull aggro I take it?
Bad sustained dps. They can burn hard but they are ham-strung otherwise for any routine content.

Compared to another caster dps (mages in particular) wizards just can’t keep up. Mages nuke almost efficiently with spells that hit plenty hard but have a pet that, by itself, can consistently sustain a dps level 300-400% or what a wizard can sustain over time without mind buffs. Toss mage DS and mage nukes into the equation ...

It’s not the wizard’s fault it’s just poor class design. Later expansions balanced wizards nicely and they became a very viable dps powerhouse in more or less all scenarios.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 04-23-2019, 03:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's wrong with WIZ in the current balance, btw? Not enough DPS, too likely to pull aggro I take it?
They're good situational dps, but low dps versus..

- Rogues
- Rangers
- Monks
- Mages
- Enchanters (with charmed pet)
- Necros (if/when they can charm a pet)

...which doesn't give them a lot of hope. What's sadly worse is they're very prone to burn mana, overnuke things and then justify themselves a 5 minute afk where they're just absent from the group's dps at all.

The occasions I've had wizards in groups in CoM/KC/etc this seems to be the case, like that's a feature of the class.

I had a wizard on live during Kunark and loved it, but on P99 they're just not as sought after ^^
Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 AM
Planar Protector

Basically things were around even in vanilla. Along came Kunark and melees replaced their 6/24 weapons with things like 9/18 jade maces. Wizards basically didn't get a real upgrade to their nukes and were stuck in vanilla mode dps through Kunark and Velious.

This classic problem is exacerbated on this server where 7 years of Kunark means melees are probably using 1:2 ratio weapons from selling a couple of centi belts at level 10.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They're good situational dps, but low dps versus..

- Rogues
- Rangers
- Monks
- Mages
- Enchanters (with charmed pet)
- Necros (if/when they can charm a pet)
Add to that list:

-necros using summon pet
-enchanters with summon animation (must take a hit to have them engage)
-warriors
-shadowknights
-paladins
-bards (using dots)
-druids evocation spec (hugely efficient DS buff + nukes that aren’t that bad)
-shamans with it without pet

Basically wizards can sustain dps above clerics and that’s about it.

The most efficient single target wizard nukes factoring in evocation spec and excluding the very restrictive bane nukes clock in at 4.5 dmg per mana. From there it’s just math.

No mind buffs at all: 21 mana per tick = 94.5 = 15.75 dps
With c2 = 148.5 = 24.75dps
Add bard = 202.5 = 33.75dps
Add potg = 229.5 = 38.25dps
Can scale up a bit more for any FT or epic click that has some regen.

This makes the assumption that you hit every single meditate tick which is unreasonable but keeps the math clean. It also assumes you are already level 60 with the most efficient spells and also assumes you never get a partial or full resist.

My 60 paladin (a class known for generally poor dps) hovers in the 55-60 dps range on average for standard group mobs; 45-55 for high end groups. My 59 mage pet will bounce around in 70-80 dps range and has a 3.4 nuke efficiency with conjuration nukes. Mage DS if the recipient gets hit only 10x per minute over the 7 minute duration clocks in at 15.4 damage per mana doing 2310 damage. A wizard without mind buffs would have to meditate 2 and a half minutes just to nuke enough to keep up with the damage from that one spell. If the tank is being hit 20x a minute on average ... double that number. Druids? The good ones are alteration spec but even then the evocation nuke (not their specialty) for 3.25 dmg per mana and have a DS they can contribute which will do which is also around 15.4 dmg per mana (slightly cheaper cast and 1 less dmg per hit) rivaling mage. If hit on average just 10x per minute (a low estimate for routine hunting) a 60 wiz with only meditate has to spend 2.4 minutes just to make up the 2,240 damage difference.

Druid no buffs just wildfire nuking and refreshing DS (tank hit 10x a minute) medding over 7 mins can put out a dmg potential of 6530 dmg. If tank is getting hit more than 10x a minute in average the potential goes up. Wizard? 6615. Almost dead even. If the fights last long enough for Druid to use the much more efficient 1 minute magic dots - check another box for the Druid.

Wizards burn hard. The above only factors in sustained (0 down time) potential. For burns they do very well. With a 3k mana pool that translates to 13500 dmg before you fall back on sustained only.

In defense of wizards:
-Realistic groups do not have 100% up time. Med happens which allows for some upward adjustment. This means that when the group is not actively fighting (monks/rogues now doing 0 dps) wizards and other casters are still building that dmg potential between fights)
-mind buffs of one type or another are common. Having all is uncommon.
-mana free clicky nukes exist, which help.
-lures though less efficient keep wiz nuke dmg relevant on resistant targets
-bane nukes on velious raid targets

But for a group situation over where dps throughput is limited to the rate of mana regeneration they fall behind unfortunately. Druids would fare much worse were it not for DS (frequently overlooked). Mages stay highly competitive even when Oom thanks to a powerful pet.

Anyways that’s the full breakdown on why wizards often have a hard time finding xp groups. If you’re looking strictly for dps they’re unfortunately just not competitive over time.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 04-23-2019 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Banned

Stick to warrior, rogue, monk, enchanter, cleric, and shaman if you don't want to feel inferior to other classes.

The others can shine in certain situations, but the ones I listed shine in every scenario.
Closed Thread