Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-01-2018, 04:30 PM
Sarnak

Default "Make EQ Look Significantly Better Graphically" or "EQClassicHD - better elf pixels!"

Hello everyone,

I noticed two threads in this section:

Make EQ Look Significantly Better Graphically,
and
EQClassicHD - better elf pixels!

I'd like to try out a graphics upgrade and so I was wondering if these are compatible with one another, or if I should just use one of them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Pretty sure the first one is old and the second one is new. I also think they enhance graphics in different ways (I believe "better elf pixels" offers higher resolution textures specifically), and can be used together.

But I'll wait for Paul G. and not say anything further for risk of putting my foot in my mouth.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Kobold

It's been a long time since I've modified the client, but from what I just read on the EQClassicHD thread, it contains upgraded character textures w/file conversion, armor enhancements and particle/transparency/animation fix(s).

You'll most likely want *at least* the enhanced zone textures that SoE included with the EQ Trilogy client as well, which are contained on a site within the 'Make EQ Look Significantly Better Graphically' link. (I highly recommend at least this update unless you really want the nostalgia and blurred out/unreadable signs.)

Psycher also did his own character texture updates which just appear to be an update of the actual textures, and not enhanced/altered touch-ups that EQClassicHD has. (Apparently he also applied these changes to armor, as his screenshots show this.)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make EQ Look Significantly Better Graphically,
and
EQClassicHD - better elf pixels!

I'd like to try out a graphics upgrade and so I was wondering if these are compatible with one another, or if I should just use one of them.
Use one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryhole [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Psycher also did his own character texture updates which just appear to be an update of the actual textures, and not enhanced/altered touch-ups that EQClassicHD has. (Apparently he also applied these changes to armor, as his screenshots show this.)
His package does include some completely redone textures done by Apog/Nysus & Joyelle: all robes (sans SMR), human male monk, cloth, chain, leather, & plate, dark elf male cloth & plate, wood elf male leather, & chain-wearing froglok. These were all included in EQClassicHD, and some of them had missing components which can make the set look awkward or incomplete but were redone for EQClassicHD - wood elf male leather arm and human male hand textures, for example. There was also a redone SMR texture that was either abandoned or just forgotten about which I managed to exhume from the bowels of the internet and sufficiently retouch for EQClassicHD.

The redone character/armor textures unique to EQClassHD are as follows: Sorn retouched all character faces and barbarian male chest, Cucumbers redid all shields (with a couple exceptions that couldn't be improved), retouched wood elf male chain, human female plate, human male/female plate helm, barbarian male/female cloth, leather, chain, & plate, iksar male/female plate (color correction), wood elf female plate helmet, gnome male chain helm (uses wood elf female plate helm), & high elf male/female plate, and also fixed the classic male human monk pants to be classic whereas the classic male human monk pants in Chebby/Psycher's package look the same as the Velious pants. EQClassicHD includes various classic and Velious helmet visor corrections: female troll custom Velious helm, female erudite custom Velious helm, male gnome classic chain helm, male barbarian classic leather helm, female wood elf classic plate & custom Velious helm. EQClassicHD also includes a ton of completely redone weapon & held item textures which are mostly true to classic aesthetics.

EQClassicHD textures were upscaled using a superior denoise algorithm and converted to DDS for memory conservation so you'll crash less often, whereas Chebby/Psycher's texture package from 2013 will cause your client to crash more often. EQClassicHD includes all transparency patcher fixes preapplied, as well as all of Zaela's fixes (wolf run speed & iksar combat animations, and necro, bard, druid, & cleric epic weapon particles - these were previously radiating around the weapon in a circle, fixed to radiate in a sphere). Epic weapon particle textures were also upscaled to a higher resolution. See our Wiki page for more info: https://wiki.project1999.com/EQClassicHD
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 12-02-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Sarnak

I appreciate all these helpful responses, I think I know what I'll do now.

Paul G, thanks for that very informative answer, and for your work on EQClassicHD!
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Kobold

Yea, thanks for clarifying. I had to end my post abruptly earlier and forgot to mention that I'm personally running a combination of the trilogy updated textures along with EQClassicHD. The game occasionally crashes when I log out, but I don't believe that has anything to do with these files, and it's incredibly rare.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

Yep, it's highly recommended you use the updated Trilogy zone textures with either of these packages, otherwise there will be a noticeable contrast between the low-resolution zone textures and the new modified textures. Install the Trilogy zone textures first, then install whichever texture mod you want to use.

Hi-resolution Trilogy zone textures:
http://p99.yourfirefly.com/downloads/highres_s3d.zip

EQClassicHD:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...nFPLXhBb2ZiY0k

Realistic but better clarity (old texture mod, will cause crashing):
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B23oc...xport=download

HQx3 Cartoon / cell shaded look (old texture mod, will cause crashing):

Upgraded ultra hi-res West Freeport zone textures (these are safe, will not cause crashing):

Upgraded ultra hi-res Ak`Anon zone textures (these might cause crashing but only after zoning in or out of Ak`Anon):

Better classic elementals (higher resolution Luclinesque textures on classic elemental models, see this thread for screenshots & install instructions - these are safe and will not cause crashing):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ovcyqckns...altextures.zip

Better classic blades (redone classic blades, see this post for screenshots & install instructions - these are safe and will not cause crashing):
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=10
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 12-04-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Sarnak

Wow, thanks again Paul G, very helpful.

Last night I installed EQClassicHD.

Reckon I can just run the uninstall, install the Hi-resolution Trilogy zone textures (and perhaps the better classic blades and elementals), and then re-install EQClassicHD?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, thanks again Paul G, very helpful.

Last night I installed EQClassicHD.

Reckon I can just run the uninstall, install the Hi-resolution Trilogy zone textures (and perhaps the better classic blades and elementals), and then re-install EQClassicHD?
Don't need to run the uninstall (can if you want, but doesn't matter), but yeah you'll want to reinstall EQClassicHD and then install any other ancillary stuff last. E.g. if you install better blades & elementals first and then install EQClassicHD, the default EQClassicHD stuff will overwrite better blades & elementals.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 12-04-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
completely redone textures done by Apog/Nysus & Joyelle
Oh and Xevin. Legend has it there is a set of redone human female textures done by Xevin that has been lost to the void.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 12-04-2018 at 11:13 PM..