Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Developer

Default Regarding major changes

I wanted to address something from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy
I'm still playing and enjoying it. But I'd have to say if I do quit it'll be because of sweeping mechanics changes that don't appear to be tested at all before being patched in and then left broken for weeks at a time.

Tuning things to make them like classic, implementing mechanics that should have been there, those are fine. But it doesn't seem like even the slightest bit of testing is being performed to ensure that these changes are behaving the way they're expected to.
I, of course, would agree completely that more testing is better. And I do apologize for those unintended nerfs that people have had to endure.

Regardless, if you have weathered the storm of the last few patches, then it's relatively smooth sailing from here on out. These were the last major negative changes on my list. So hopefully we can work together on ironing out any remaining issues. I think you'll find a much more classic feel when all is said and done.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Developer

Just to give you an idea of how my time spent is allocated on this project, this is my best guess:

Research: 70%
Testing: 25%
Implementing: 5%

But there's really only so much I can catch when testing, and that's usually limited to what changes were intended. I always try to correct the unintended consequences as quickly as possible, as I hope you folks have realized by now.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Fire Giant

Thank you for this post. I would just like to say,there is a small batch of people willing to test new changes before they go live. Sure there wernt that many for kunark beta,but there are people willing to do the dirty work on a test server for simulated patches to make sure the patch is doing what is intended.

The biggest issues people have with patches,isn't the nerfs. It's the bugs that happen when coding is changed and things are jacked up for 2 weeks or longer. It stuff that effectively changes a class's ability and we have to work through making bug posts and hope for a response or a shrug of the shoulders assuming we are wrong in what we see. Many things aren't even replied on in the bug section on issues.

You have been doing updates on things you work on,and thats wonderful. But there is other stuff that players have no idea if the list of things being worked on needs more info,or just put on the back burner. So we don't know as the player base what we can do to help you guys. You have an army of EQ nerds willing to help make it easier for you!

In short

Bring up the test server again,have people test what you are fixing or changing,and have the test server stimulate the patch. Use the people who want to help and make it easier over all for the devs. It's a ton of stuff to do with just a few devs. So I'm sure you're putting in tons of time. Just make use of the people wanting to help.
Last edited by Rais; 06-13-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rais [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The biggest issues people have with patches,isn't the nerfs. It's the bugs that happen when coding is changed and things are jacked up for 2 weeks or longer.
Yes, it does suck. But I would hope that when unintended things get jacked up and make things harder between one patch and the next (when it gets fixed), you could take into consideration that in most cases it was jacked up in your favor for the last 20 months.

Quote:
Bring up the test server again,have people test what you are fixing or changing,and have the test server stimulate the patch. Use the people who want to help and make it easier over all for the devs. It's a ton of stuff to do with just a few devs. So I'm sure you're putting in tons of time. Just make use of the people wanting to help.
Other than testing of content, I would make the case that the test server didn't accomplish much. But again, there's nothing else on the horizon of this magnitude.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you Kanras. Despite the negativity in my comment I feel that you're doing a great job towards achieving the servers goal. I also appreciate how open you are about the changes, you reasons behind them, and what you expect the changes to do.

That last part helps the most, you clarifying what you expect the changes to do cause then it allows us to point out when it's behaving differently.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

Maybe can haz bonus exp weekend? :P It's pretty painful playing a mage at the moment.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe can haz bonus exp weekend? :P It's pretty painful playing a mage at the moment.
What it takes you 25 minutes per yellow instead of 15?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also realize that we can only test so much.. most coding changes are tested by the coder implementing the change on local test servers with only himself to load up clients with, and theres simply so many possible ways mechanics can do things that were unintentional or unforeseeable when you factor in hundreds of players doing hundreds of things at once.

We don't have a test server, and even in the times we did, nobody tests on it.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

PS! Kanras told me to tell you all if you are angry about his changes to please PM him hatemail. he doesn't feel hated enough [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanras [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, it does suck. But I would hope that when unintended things get jacked up and make things harder between one patch and the next (when it gets fixed), you could take into consideration that in most cases it was jacked up in your favor for the last 20 months.
Geez, where was I for this? Oh yeah, playing... you guys seem to always fall on the side of nerfing our butts when there's even a slight choice. It's just a perception that the population has and has been there for the entire time I've played. I love your posts in this thread though, and everyone is human we know and we don't assign MUCH blame.

What I don't understand is, why not just patch in everything that happened up till Velious, right away? We KNOW what the patch history is, we know what they wanted to do with Classic. Just put it all in at once!! (except nerfed items ofc, leave them in with the proper timeline.) And all will be gumdrops and roses.

First they nerfed the druids, and I didn't speak out because I was not a druid.
Then they nerfed the mages, and I didn't speak out because I was not a mage.
Then they nerfed the monks, and I didn't speak out because I was not a monk.
Then they nerfed me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Closed Thread