Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default "Competition", "Skill", Cognitive Dissonance, and You.

Never played on P99, but I do occasionally lurk the forums as I find RnF very entertaining. I just wanted to address a few things that I've noticed over the years and hopefully get some introspection going in the twisted maze that is the hardcore raider of the Velious expansion in 2018.

I see the words competition and skill thrown out a lot around these forums, especially when it comes to from what I understand to be the two top raid guilds, Aftermath and Awakened. I am here to make the argument that neither guilds, or anyone who raids in EverQuest for that matter is particularly skilled at all.

However before I do that, I'd like to first touch on the "competition" of the raid scene here. My understanding is that the first person on the aggro list of a raid mob triggers a zonewide "FTE" message. Obviously none of the content on this server is instanced. That, combined with these FTE messages leads me to believe that the competition most of you guys are talking about is who can login to a parked character and claim a raid mob first. When I was a teenager I enjoyed cockblocking other guilds and feeling good about myself knowing that they would never be as "good" as I was. But then I realized, if each party doesn't have equal opportunity to engage in the content, is there really any competition?

With that out of the way I'd like to get down to the meat of this argument and that would be the skill part. I think this really boils down to two things. How well you can play your character, and how well you can traverse each raid encounter and the specific mechanics of each boss. Playing your character in classic EQ basically boils down to pressing a couple buttons here and there. Do you press your backstab button as a rogue with such passion that it makes you better than someone else? Boss mechanics in EQ means running a ranger into a DT mob and having 10 or so clerics press one button every so often.

While all of you like to talk about how carebear WoW is, and I tend to agree that most things in the game are compared to classic EQ, the raiding scene in that game is definitely not. A fight like 100+ man AoW, vs a fight like Heroic 25m Lich King really outlines these differences. The Lich King, and pretty much any Mythic encounter of recent expansions, had/have multiple abilities that gave one person the ability to wipe your raid instantly. I cant think of anything like that in EQ short of somebody training something into the raid. Now I know that the average RnF'er on this forums has the attention span of a goldfish so I'm going to ask a few questions directed towards the members of these two guilds specifically and anyone else who is in the cutting edge competitive hardcore super serious raid scene that is Velious in 2018.
  1. Do you, in good conscience, feel like you are skilled when you are killing ~20 year old raid mobs with an insane amount of players?
  2. Do you feel like there is real competition on P99?
  3. Given that WoW is generally considered easier than Classic EQ, do you think that AM/AW could compete in a raid scene that everybody has an equal shot, and statistics on individual performance can be looked up for literally anything?

It has taken me about 7 years to ask these hard hitting questions so I expect some Shakespeare quality answers. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Never played here, but you've been lurking forums since 2011?

Thoughts and prayers.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never played here, but you've been lurking forums since 2011?

Thoughts and prayers.
Yup I've been around the EQEmu community since before this project was released. I have ran a few servers in the past and have helped others with their projects as well. Not a fan of classic EQ for a few of the reasons I outlined above and more.

I still appreciate your thoughts and prayers though.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Sarnak

I wish I could down vote your posts because they're bad and you should feel bad.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to the upper echelons of the forums
Old 05-13-2018, 12:38 PM
Fire Giant

Could someone read that for me, thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could someone read that for me, thanks.
This dude has almost every class to max level on a 20 year old emulated elfsim but is trying to say reading my thread isn't worth his time. You read it and you're not fooling anyone my man.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by splose [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never played on P99, but I do occasionally lurk the forums as I find RnF very entertaining.
Got this far and stopped reading. If I went on a my little pony website and said "I've never played with a my little pony in my life, but you're all wrong with your theories about why certain ponies have dessert-related names, allow me to share the correct theory with you ..."

... well, I'd kill myself in shame. But if I (as a white person) went to a Black Lives Matter meeting and started telling everyone there "you don't understand racism, so allow me to explain it to you ..."

... well, I might actually get killed by an angry mob.

I guess my point is, if I acted like you and somehow didn't wind up dead, I'd still be incredibly embarrassed to be lecturing a community of people that I'm not a part of about something I have no experience with.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

thank you weird lurker dude
Old 05-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got this far and stopped reading. If I went on a my little pony website and said "I've never played with a my little pony in my life, but you're all wrong with your theories about why certain ponies have dessert-related names, allow me to share the correct theory with you ..."

... well, I'd kill myself in shame. But if I (as a white person) went to a Black Lives Matter meeting and started telling everyone there "you don't understand racism, so allow me to explain it to you ..."

... well, I might actually get killed by an angry mob.

I guess my point is, if I acted like you and somehow didn't wind up dead, I'd still be incredibly embarrassed to be lecturing a community of people that I'm not a part of about something I have no experience with.
Terrible comparisons. Just because I don't play on this specific box doesn't mean I've never played classic through velious before.

Still awaiting answers for my questions.. overall unimpressed with the replies so far. If you guys are gonna attempt to derail and/or be condescending I think you guys can do better.
Closed Thread