Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

stick to lurking, pal

you were better at it

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:15 AM
Sarnak

People don't play primarily for the skill or challenge involved. Maybe those that don't get social interaction like OP. Most people play to have fun with their friends and have a sense of progression. Nothing more really.

Re: WOW vs EQ, WOW was the better game in terms of mechanics and depth. But at the same time, WOW stripped out too much of the aspects that led to social interaction, leaving it about as fun as EQ overall. I've raided both about equally over the years.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stick to lurking, pal

you were better at it
Ever take your own advice? lol
Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ever take your own advice? lol
I've conquered you pal, and it's satisfying

put in any petitions lately? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

I'll take that as a no then, try practicing what you preach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Project 1999ing, unlike you (apparently)
Definitely the best post in this thread so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. No
2. Yes and no

Yes, when it comes to who can log on the required number of toons the fastest and work together to kill X target the quickest.

No, when it comes to true difficulty. The game has been out so long and all encounters have been done many times before by many different people.

3. Some players in both guilds you mentioned could make the adjustment, and some couldn’t.

WoW is considered easier than EQ for one the ease of leveling to max level and also because of its marketing, some call it pay to win. But I would be willing to bet most guilds on p99 could kill most raid targets, what makes raiding on p99 different is because the amount of time a guild has to invest to get a shot a target.

With that said I understand where you’re coming from. Heroic encounters (now mythic I think?) on WoW is much tougher than classic EQ. What makes classic EQ stand out (and IMO better) is real players in a true simulated world vs instanced content where you can just restart the instance and keep going again and again till you win.

Keep in mind this is coming from a former WoW raider/PvPer (during WotLK expansion as well) and former p99 raider.
I suppose I can concede to the bolded point. I just feel it is a bit watered down competition compared to a game where everybody has a fair shot, and it doesn't come down to who can batphone their people the most efficiently.

I also agree with you that you do get a much different feeling out of a true simulated world vs resetting an instance. For what it's worth I want to make it clear that I only used WoW as an example because that's what I have experience with raiding at the top tier past EverQuest. I'm sure my argument is applicable to most modernized MMOs vs EQ. I am sure that some players could make the switch but I doubt the majority could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OP claims he doesn't play here and that this server requires no skill while spamming f5 and replying to any post in record times.

Seek help.
Is that him? The gatekeeper of antique pixels himself?

Anyone in this thread can say what they want, but the mental illness I've been trying to learn more about has manifested as a person and posted in my thread.

Definitely satisfied now.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 AM
Fire Giant

Everyone has a mental illness except me
Old 05-14-2018, 03:53 AM
Banned

Thought I'd seen everything this 28-y.o. elf sim has to offer but then wham - this comes along. Estimated page number where OP claims he was trolling all along: 14
Old 05-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Planar Protector

I played Classic EQ from day 1 release and then on and off until partway through Planes of Power. I also played WoW from Burning Crusade to Lich King (almost to cataclysm).

So at first, WoW was like the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Easy quests that give great exp, ability for any class to solo to max level by repeating these quests, no exp loss from death, lucrative tradeskills, skill trees to diversify your class, awesome raid encounters that force you to pay attention to succeed, etc etc etc.

However, what ultimately drew me away from WoW was the systematic watering down of content.
-Oh you needed a reagent to use this cooldown ability? Patch that out, need to make things easier.
-Oh, you don't want to grind heroics for epic gear? Let's just create a mini-instance in Lich King that gives like 9 epics out in a 5min instance that is basically tank and spank.
-Shaman magma totem drawing too much agro? Hmm... lets make it zero agro, stupid mobs taking 10k damage from the thing and they don't think to hit it anymore.
-People don't want to progress up and run to Ogrimmar anymore cause it takes too long? Let's add a blimp path.
-Mages frustrated that their mez (sheep) are getting broke by players not paying attention? Remove the 1 damage break mez restriction

It would just keep getting easier, and easier, and easier... It became apparent that they were catering to the 13 year old demographic who couldn't bare to be inconvenienced by the slightest else risk cancelling their subscription.

That is what drew me back to EQ and finding P99. Not any skill or competition, just a more punishing MMORPG world where there are consequences. Delayed gratification is what keeps a lot of people playing IMO
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Sarnak

The problem with eq is you only need like 1 skilled player to carry 30. So if you zerg something with 100... at best you need 4 people who don't suck. The rest need only press their one or 2 buttons.

"if the rules are all you use to determine what you should or shouldn't do, you're probably an a-hole" -soup

Hooden • Xegony enchanter '00 - '02 • <Aeternus> from SoD '06 - '07
Closed Thread