Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
swish gearing up for another autistic meltown / 15th ban
Actually you're the one that's rustled here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You and Papa real close eh? Cute <3
Old 05-14-2018, 09:01 PM
Large Bat

holy shit mass triggering lmao
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Classic EQ from day 1 release and then on and off until partway through Planes of Power. I also played WoW from Burning Crusade to Lich King (almost to cataclysm).

So at first, WoW was like the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Easy quests that give great exp, ability for any class to solo to max level by repeating these quests, no exp loss from death, lucrative tradeskills, skill trees to diversify your class, awesome raid encounters that force you to pay attention to succeed, etc etc etc.

However, what ultimately drew me away from WoW was the systematic watering down of content.
-Oh you needed a reagent to use this cooldown ability? Patch that out, need to make things easier.
-Oh, you don't want to grind heroics for epic gear? Let's just create a mini-instance in Lich King that gives like 9 epics out in a 5min instance that is basically tank and spank.
-Shaman magma totem drawing too much agro? Hmm... lets make it zero agro, stupid mobs taking 10k damage from the thing and they don't think to hit it anymore.
-People don't want to progress up and run to Ogrimmar anymore cause it takes too long? Let's add a blimp path.
-Mages frustrated that their mez (sheep) are getting broke by players not paying attention? Remove the 1 damage break mez restriction

It would just keep getting easier, and easier, and easier... It became apparent that they were catering to the 13 year old demographic who couldn't bare to be inconvenienced by the slightest else risk cancelling their subscription.

That is what drew me back to EQ and finding P99. Not any skill or competition, just a more punishing MMORPG world where there are consequences. Delayed gratification is what keeps a lot of people playing IMO
This.

Also why I lost interest in live EQ when they put in PoK/The Bazaar.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:12 AM
Decaying Skeleton

If I knew the replies were gonna get so much tastier I wouldn't have said I was leaving! So let's get back into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So dodging flames and lich kings defile or mobs grabbing you and pulling you off the ledge if they come near you is somehow...hard?

Oh, lets not forget that there is a mod that tells you when all these things are going to happen. In wow you literally just need to be able to read and memorize encounters. Sounds tough.

Mythics are the same thing except the mobs have more hp. Sounds real tough.

Know what classic eq has that wow never had? Dynamic. There is simply no dynamic to any fight. Every fight in classic eq anything can happen on any fight and at any given time. Also, running thru 25 man LFRs without a single word being spoken to by anyone sounds like a real blast.
First, the mechanics you outlined for the LK encounter shows that if you've ever done it you've only done it on normal mode. I am talking about Heroic (which is now equivalent to Mythic mode).

Second, yes the addon you're referring to bigwigs/DBM does exist. You are wrong about Mythic and old school Heroic just being scaled up higher in terms of HP. This tier adds in new boss mechanics in 99% of encounters. I feel it necessary to also note that most zones in that game have maybe 10 encounters on average. With the first couple being easier and ramping up as you progress further. You are also being a bit disingenuous about the HP upgrade as well seeing as it is tuned in such a way that all of your DPS need to be executing their rotations near perfectly to beat the DPS check of these fights. Your healers need to be on point. Tanks need to be using their active mitigation, etc.

Is raiding these modernized MMOs rocket science? Absolutely not, but compared to pressing your 1 or 2 buttons on EQ it is. I also feel it necessary to note that WoTLK is 10 years old by now. The average difficulty of raids has gone up with time. As far as your LFR comment nobody is talking about LFR. I have only ever talked about the highest tier which would be Heroic back in the day and now Mythic.

Here is my proposition for you. Bring 20 of your best members over to WoW for the new expansion releasing in August. Since your top RMT crew just got BTFO I'm sure you will need a new source of income. IF you and your best 20 can achieve top 100 US on over 75% of the encounters in the first raid zone for the new expac I will paypal you $100 for each encounter that is in the top 100.

The chances of you doing this are obviously zero because like I've tried to stress from the first post in this thread. You and your guild and others like you don't want competition. I think there is a much needed detox from Velious in your guild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzDeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not that I don't agree that EQ is pretty trivial but, I have to point out the obvious that OP is NOT someone who just lurks.

He was obviously slighted out of pixels for a long time and is very upset about it. Funny someone who lurks cares to follow that many rules, knows who is the GL of what and what guild does what.

If you were "helping" with projects, which might I ask and can anyone confirm that story of yours?

If you care that much about a server you don't play, and don't really understand the frame of mind or ruleset people who are playing are in, and your sole grip is to come here and push that WoW is more of an opportunity than any a game you don't play than you are worse off than most here.
I'm not sure what rules you're talking about but I can assure you I have never played P99. Reading RNF for 5 mins you will be able to tell who the top guilds are and I've read all the reetox threads. Quality shit.

As for your bolded question sure I'll bite. I have gone by the name Kenej/Splose over the years. The projects I have been the owner/operator of are as following:

EQDestiny (My entry into EQEmu development I took over this server after the owner didn't want to do it anymore)
Erollisi Marr
Kenej's Custom Progression
EQTownship

I have helped out Scars of Amerous and briefly was in the process of revamping Akka's Funhouse but that was pretty much called off after Hunter passed away and Akka went to go run the EZ server. I have only ever really been interested in custom content.

A few quick searches of the EQEmu forums can confirm this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallzDeep [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also I'd say majority of players here have also played WoW at some period of time and majority of them were raiding. Most people come back here because of many factors. Some people enjoy corpse runs, no maps, and a hard level grind. The only good thing about WoW Classic since we are referencing a classic game here, is PVP and AQ.
One important distinction is that I am not saying that simply playing P99 is an illness. Far from it. The points I've made and people I'm talking about have been very clear. The "hardcore" super skilled competition seekers of the Velious expansion in 2018.

Also, I don't think comparing WoW classic is fair either because classic's raids were pretty much the same as EQ. Barely any mechanics and mostly tank and spank with maybe 1 or 2 jobs. Scaled to 40 mans. When you have that many numbers the difficulty automatically goes down, which is why Heroic 10man raiding was the hardest in the game for the longest time. However the majority of serious guilds were raiding 25m so they decided to cut 10m and scale 25 back to 20.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
skill
skil/
noun
noun: skill

the ability to do something well; expertise.

ex·per·tise
ˌekspərˈtēz,ˌekspərˈtēs/
noun
noun: expertise

expert skill or knowledge in a particular field.

knowl·edge
ˈnäləj/
noun
noun: knowledge; plural noun: knowledges

facts, information, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject.

If you don't understand why your argument fails by reading a few simple definitions of common words, then you're one of those people I know better than to argue with on the internet.
I forgot to quote this in my post above, but it's probably best since you literally have made no argument. You just want to play semantics.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:55 AM
Fire Giant

OP is obese.

Fat.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:56 AM
Fire Giant

Swish, where did your account go that had 20k posts?
Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 AM
Planar Protector

In fairness in EQ you just need to be able to read the word 'assist' (easy mode) or the cheal chain broadcast preceding yours (hard mode) and then press the appropriate button.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:58 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Classic EQ from day 1 release and then on and off until partway through Planes of Power. I also played WoW from Burning Crusade to Lich King (almost to cataclysm).

So at first, WoW was like the most amazing thing since sliced bread. Easy quests that give great exp, ability for any class to solo to max level by repeating these quests, no exp loss from death, lucrative tradeskills, skill trees to diversify your class, awesome raid encounters that force you to pay attention to succeed, etc etc etc.

However, what ultimately drew me away from WoW was the systematic watering down of content.
-Oh you needed a reagent to use this cooldown ability? Patch that out, need to make things easier.
-Oh, you don't want to grind heroics for epic gear? Let's just create a mini-instance in Lich King that gives like 9 epics out in a 5min instance that is basically tank and spank.
-Shaman magma totem drawing too much agro? Hmm... lets make it zero agro, stupid mobs taking 10k damage from the thing and they don't think to hit it anymore.
-People don't want to progress up and run to Ogrimmar anymore cause it takes too long? Let's add a blimp path.
-Mages frustrated that their mez (sheep) are getting broke by players not paying attention? Remove the 1 damage break mez restriction

It would just keep getting easier, and easier, and easier... It became apparent that they were catering to the 13 year old demographic who couldn't bare to be inconvenienced by the slightest else risk cancelling their subscription.

That is what drew me back to EQ and finding P99. Not any skill or competition, just a more punishing MMORPG world where there are consequences. Delayed gratification is what keeps a lot of people playing IMO
Nailed it
Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Banned

Previous WoW world first racer here.

Does anyone actually think EQ is harder than WoW from a mechanics standpoint? No. Not even close. I would say P99 raiding is far more about preparation, game / zone knowledge, and truly dedicated (to the point of mental illness) leadership.

Its just a different flavor. I had never played EQ before I started P99 a bit over three years ago. I had been done with WoW for a while, had my "successes" in the high end raid scene, and found the community and experiences here to be refreshing. It reminded me of my old Asheron's Call days where you actually had to form relationships with people on the server instead of just entering a queue and not having to communicate with anyone.

WoW has become a homogenized abomination that caters to the snowflake generation. Sure, the upper echelon / bleeding edge mythic raiding is challenging...but the rest of the game is severely watered down nonsense. It has zero appeal to me as an older gamer.

I don't necessarily get off on my games being uber hard anymore. We're not 17 years old with amazing reflexes and nearly unlimited hours to practice / perfect our skills. I've boiled myself down to ARAMs (LoL) and casual P99 these days. I quite enjoy that in my limited time I have in front of the computer.

We're all shitters for playing video games in the first place.
Closed Thread