Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want a texture update to the character models?
Yes. It looks better with some SoV texture elements. 409 64.31%
Yes, but it has to be 100% classic! No SoV textures. 84 13.21%
Maybe. 54 8.49%
No. Classic is better. 89 13.99%
Voters: 636. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been following this a lot lately. Made a few stabs at it myself, although less than impressed with my results so far.

I used Adobe's Batch function to read in the entire global_chr.s3d, resize it up 400%, and save. Another batch would do Gaussian Blur 1.2 & Diffuse on them all to bring down the pixelation. But, from that point I haven't gotten a lot farther. Many of of the textures need some extra love, as I imagine you figured out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But you mentioned your workflow and I thought saying this might save you some time if you could resize them all and just get down to the business [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You probably already know this but Robe textures are also in the same file, and are shared between all usable races (Unsure on Iksars, though)...Incase you want to take a stab at those someday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Code:
global_chr.s3d

clk40X.bmp
to
clk100X.bmp
But besides that, great work so far! And I love that you started on humans first =)

Actually, I'm working on the robes right now. Then human female, then I make my first release.

Thanks for that bit of information. I might do that for a starting point. The way that I'm doing the texture now I have all the different armor pieces in the same PSD file and then a bottom skin layer. That way the skin doesn't change when you change armor (if its visible). Only thing that bugs me now is how it dyes the skin to change the armor color. There's nothing I can do about that I suppose...

Scram Jet Air "Because only poor people take the boat."
My Projects: UI, Sound, Music, Character Textures, Trailer
Old 05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Please do wood elves next good sir! I'm happy to test anything you may need testing.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Aviak

The next race from me after Humans will be Barbarians, then Dark Elves, Gnomes, Wood Elves. This order is based on perceived difficulty as well as popularity. Not including Iksars for a little while, but they would be the most difficult I believe.

Also another guy (Nysus) is working on Halfings right now (and doing an outstanding job of it I might add). I'd say he's even more skilled then me from what I saw. First release may wait till he gets them done too.

One thing that has been at the back of my mind is if I should do the faces of the models. The first and only one I did (the metrosexual-pirate-monk) took FOREVER to get it only decent and, in my opinion, not ready for release. It still has about 2 hours more work I think and thats just one of NINE human male faces! At nearly 3 hours per face that makes the faces a LOT harder to do then the armor, so I was going to leave them off until the armor was done, and then revisit them later. Nysus (the guy doing the Halfings) showed me one of the faces he was working on and it looked AMAZING and it wasn't even done yet. It got me thinking about doing the faces also. I wonder what you guys think about that... Faces with the armor, as they get done, or after release?

Scram Jet Air "Because only poor people take the boat."
My Projects: UI, Sound, Music, Character Textures, Trailer
Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 AM
Aviak

I am so stoked about this, words cannot describe.

great success in studies
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 AM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As Xevin mentioned I have been working on one of the halfling faces. Why halfling? Because this is the race/face I'm currently using.

What I've done is completely rebuilt the face from scratch while sticking to the original as closely as possible. Some features I've kept (crazy non round pupils) and some I've taken a bit more liberty with (hair) but I've tried to keep the personality of the face intact.

Turned out really good I think - I'm happy with it, but what do you guys think?

This one took probably around 10 hours but a lot of that was finding ways and good brushes to use to recreate the texture.

I may play with it a little bit more but since it's mapping perfectly I'll probably move on to a new one.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell whats the most popular faces or is that a client setting? I would like to hit the ones that are most used to maximize the benefit.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 AM
Fire Giant

Amazing job man i cant wait to see more!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

k, from what i understand you just resize it right and load the texture to the char?

good job so far bud!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 AM
Planar Protector

over all, we do want this server to stay classic, but i figure why not with the better sized textures, hell i use to bigger better ones for the dungeons ect-for the old world, why not, one thing it will be liked better by some others who never played, and once they play they will find that they love this server!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 AM
Aviak

Nysus, very nice job. Thanks for sharing your progress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Old 05-31-2011, 10:56 PM
Kobold

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Had some time today so I knocked out another face. My plan now is to work on humans since Xevin has already done a lot of work on their armor.

Next up, Mustache Man.