Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Banned

Veeshan definitely broke 2k a few times, and Povar (where I played) came damn close. Those were both open at launch. But I agree player knowledge is the main factor. The gulf between the hardcore and casuals was way broader back then. Some people raced to 50 in three months, some people straggled along on a single character for *years* before hitting 50.

On p99, some people race to 50 in 3 *weeks*, and some people "straggle along" and hit fifty in a few months. The casuals of p99 can't help but be close to as good as the hardcore players were in classic, which really changes the way content is divided and consumed among the population.

But GOD I miss CT pickup groups, I remember there being two full groups in each *corner* of the courtyard, pulling lizards and gorillas out of the temple. Or throwing a group together and navigating the maze and breaking into the pyramid. That just simply never happens anymore.
Last edited by douglas1999; 04-10-2020 at 07:47 PM..
Old 04-10-2020, 08:08 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And this is one reason why I think there can never be another game like original Everquest made again. It was literally a product of its time.

There were secrets in EQ that wasnt well known until years after the fact. Today though, if you had a game trying to be like that it wouldn't work, for starters any secret would find its way onto youtube to strike while the iron is hot and to get that sweet ad money. Some doofy streamer would be munching chips into the mic and spilling all the secrets.

Part of original EQs charm is we didn't have any of that, you went searching for clues on webpages and sometimes the information was good and other times it wasn't.

We also couldn't watch another player do something in a stream, or to "stream snipe". You could read someones thoughts/guide and do you best to play. You still had to find out for yourself and play the game.

Heck, there are games today I would like to have played but will never buy just because I can find out all the good stuff without buying it and playing.... why buy the Cow when you can the Milk for free?

Games are entertainment like a TV today.. even worse would be a MMORPG trying to be like EQ but also trying to be entertaining to a streamer audience. A very hard pass for me.

*Note: Some quests in original EQ make me scratch my head when I read the wiki, honestly how the heck did anyone figure those out. I bet a developer gave someone hints but who knows.
I remember watching my uncle play one time ,he would hail a quest npc , and ask questions or based of what they would say or words they used in their dialogue , sometimes he'd figure one them out , sometimes not at all
Old 04-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Sarnak

Teal was created when Green's population was lower than it is now.

There is no substantive, logical argument against bringing Teal back.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:39 PM
Planar Protector

wrong, most people were under level 10
Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by solleks [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wrong, most people were under level 10
This is a good point. Don't let all that other stuff solleks says make you think he's not smart. He actually is.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeCaptain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teal was created when Green's population was lower than it is now.

There is no substantive, logical argument against bringing Teal back.
You're leaving out a key detail, which is that teal was opened when Green's population was almost all concentrated in levels 1-15. People camping individual spawns in newbie zones is insane, I agree, but that's not even remotely the situation we're in here. There are individual instances of people camping individual spawns, sure, but that's nowhere close to what the opening of green was like. There *should* be some competition in the game, it's not an exp pez dispenser. I assume that's why we all play here.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Veeshan definitely broke 2k a few times, and Povar (where I played) came damn close. Those were both open at launch. But I agree player knowledge is the main factor. The gulf between the hardcore and casuals was way broader back then. Some people raced to 50 in three months, some people straggled along on a single character for *years* before hitting 50.

On p99, some people race to 50 in 3 *weeks*, and some people "straggle along" and hit fifty in a few months. The casuals of p99 can't help but be close to as good as the hardcore players were in classic, which really changes the way content is divided and consumed among the population.

But GOD I miss CT pickup groups, I remember there being two full groups in each *corner* of the courtyard, pulling lizards and gorillas out of the temple. Or throwing a group together and navigating the maze and breaking into the pyramid. That just simply never happens anymore.
*yup my life be like*

and if one group wiped, the other grp would usually toss out a rez to the cleric or port the cleric over and invis them to camp
Old 04-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know what server you played on... but on Brell, which opened in July 99 GMs came down hard on the kind of douchery you describe. We had one guy that was so bad about KS'ing mobs that he got banned.. but he lived on for a couple years after that via jokes and stories people told about his exploits. The same held true on Luclin, which I rolled a new toon on to group with RL friends.

So again, not sure what server you played on but on both the servers I played on the GM's didn't screw around with toxic players.
Was it Kenkoy?

Also what was your name and guild on Brell? (Fragged/Aikons here)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

CT was so damn popular on live.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Kobold

CT is baaack place is flourishing again!
Closed Thread