Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: What expansion would you like p1999 to end at?
Velious, with a possible "Green99" 235 32.59%
Luclin 98 13.59%
Planes of Power 370 51.32%
Transfer your character to Daybreak progression server 18 2.50%
Voters: 721. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP is clearly the best.

All of you beg for ports to a location 3 zones over anyways. PoK books are no different. Plus there are tons of places you still want ports to.

Iceclad, Wakening Lands, Cobalt Scar, Karanas, EJ, Skyfire, Dreadlands, Luclin/PoK ports as well. Hardly do PoK books make ports useless. They just allows noobs to not have to bother other people for their traveling to groups, they can get to their groups on their own and socialize in those groups.

Far more socializing is lost in players rejecting group invites because of the travel limitations than would be lost in the 10 words typed between "Port to zone X please?" And "Thanks, GL" when requesting a port from a Druid or wizard.
PoK books ruin the feeling of a living fantasy-genre world and make this already primitive game feel more artificial. Socializing isn't lost from players not being able to group with anyone because of travel limitations, instead it makes people play near the area they are already at if they can't find a port (or don't want to wait for one). It makes people work with what they've got and plan their adventures more carefully, not just mechanically herd themselves around for pixels.

It might make more sense in a sci-fi game for anyone to able to click around the universe at will, via some kind of centralized universal teleportation hub, but Everquest is not that genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoP is the pinnacle of classic.

Mortals reaching the realms of their gods and slaying them.

They balanced the classes best at this point in time, AAs encouraged you to continue grouping on your main character, the quests were superb, the raids became more involved than corner and tank, all 7 base Tradeskills and the racial/class specifics had value for players at all levels of play.

It was the golden age of EQ.
Class balance, individual diversification (which is still not something PoP really had), tradeskills being more worthwhile, and combat mechanics/encounters being more interesting (which is still not something PoP was great for) has nothing to do with any particular expansion. All of those things could be implemented in pre-Kunark Everquest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86753o9 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly I'm disappointed that I missed out on pre-kunark p99. To me true classic is pre-kunark. Maybe someday p99 will have a pre-kunark server that will stay pre-kunark.
True classic is people not being able to look everything up on a wiki and needing to figure it out for themselves, along with people doing things for the fun of it and not just because they have to get from point A to point B.

Classic EQ is simply dead until someone codes an MMORPG game that has more dynamic content and doesn't allow people to take shortcuts (although that doesn't mean timesinks), while at the same time having an equal amount of danger, immediacy, visionary design, player interdependency, and epic adventuring potential.

----

A few of the Luclin zones had cool designs, but mostly not. The whole concept of a moon world and routine teleports to and from it takes things too far away from the down-in-the-dirt grittiness of Everquest. The PoP zones were just bad, really blah design. None of them felt like some special, mystical place and I dislike the concept of mortals being able to freely travel between them all. The original 2 planes in classic made sense, they were the two most evil gods with large followings, so of course the other gods would have helped the mortals to breach those planes and fight against them. Then in Velious there is Plane of Mischief, which is very clever and unique, and Plane of Growth which is at least appropriately expansive. Plane of Sky is disappointing but the idea of all the tiers was at least something.

An ideal EQ would be pre-Luclin with extra dungeons that make sense in the existing game world and other extra zones that are visible on the original world map but not in game during this period. More/better boat travel and sea warfare would be interesting. The key is making the whole game world worthwhile and allowing for change and unique paths for characters to take. Having lots of Planes actually could work if only a few were accessible at a time, based upon the overall faction of all the players on the server (and if those zones were actually well-designed, so you felt you were really in an otherworldly place, not just some random box).
Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Luclin is good for the test i think they are....test of fire I think was pretty cool in grimling if I remember, well before it stopped working
Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Fire Giant

I am surprised by these results. I voted for Luclin, but I wouldn't mind PoP.
The only reason I didn't vote PoP is because Luclin is my favorite expansion and therefore every other expansion is not as good. PoK is really nice tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Also the amazing amount of raids that it adds.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PoK books ruin the feeling of a living fantasy-genre world and make this already primitive game feel more artificial. Socializing isn't lost from players not being able to group with anyone because of travel limitations, instead it makes people play near the area they are already at if they can't find a port (or don't want to wait for one). It makes people work with what they've got and plan their adventures more carefully, not just mechanically herd themselves around for pixels.

It might make more sense in a sci-fi game for anyone to able to click around the universe at will, via some kind of centralized universal teleportation hub, but Everquest is not that genre.
Instant teleportation via stationary objects is already part of the game both lore wise and mechanically.

Examples: "Miragul's Highway" and TD pots.

Perhaps the magic to create these things was lost with the combine empire but guess who we meet up with in SoL? While the actual players never get spells to create objects it wouldn't be outside of the realm of possibilities that some "lore" character could have picked it up after we reestablished contact with the combine empire. Also if mortals could create teleportation objects then it would make sense that the various gods also could do this to further explain the PoK books.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM
Large Bat

I voted for Luclin.... but ONLY because I really want the Beastlord class to be here.

Otherwise im pretty happy.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

whatever as long as they keep classic skele models and we get a heads up so we can all golden parachute like so many others before us!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 AM
Sarnak

After velious has shrivelled and people are gearing their 10th alts, the sleeper should awaken and gm events ensue that require the server to work together to put the sleeper back in his tomb, as long as the server can keep banding together to keep norrath safe... the server stays plugged in.

could be in the form of 'earthquake' type 'repops' done every few months-- get those batphones put to use, but instead of for pixels, its to keep the server online [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If we fail.... poof.
Dustboy#1652 on Discord
Last edited by dustysr06; 09-15-2015 at 01:36 AM..
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 AM
Planar Protector

Buff the shit out of the sleeper, or have more sleeper clones for other continents and watch them destroy everything through the eyes of a GM on stream [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Skeleton

I didn't mind Luclin content. I left months after PoP came out, however. That expansion killed so many smaller raid guilds due to how much HP the mobs had/how hard they hit.

If the server went to Luclin, I wouldn't be heart broken. Anything past that, though, I would probably quit EQ again. lol
Old 09-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Skeleton

PoP was my personal favorite even though I understand some peoples gripes about it.

But lets not kid ourselves...

Pretty much everyone here would keep playing if the moon cats and PoK books were added no matter how much they say they dislike them.
Closed Thread