Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 06:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druid for ports, better to do that than rely on guard camps being open.
Yeah I was originally thinking that Druid would be best for being able to port people for $$ semi-afk. However, I live in Asia and during the few hours that I'll be playing, the population is only around 300. So I imagine there will be less people paying for ports, as well as more camps open to grind coin at.

I thought maybe something like a Necro would overall make more money farming something like treants compared to Druid ports. But then again, I'm not so sure which is why I wanted some other opinions on it.

So far it seems like most people think Necro would be best.

One thing I am wondering though, since they can't root rot very well yet. How well would a Shaman work in my situation? They are apparently the kings of root rotting, right? Dont they have like the fastest TTK on single mobs? Or no?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One thing I am wondering though, since they can't root rot very well yet. How well would a Shaman work in my situation? They are apparently the kings of root rotting, right? Dont they have like the fastest TTK on single mobs? Or no?

Thanks!
Shaman are ok soloers in classic but they dont really come into their own until Kunark. They become root rotting machines once they get their epic and then gods once they get Torpor. Id rather play a necro, druid, on enchanter for soloing in classic though.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Sarnak

also necros are excellent root rotters if thats how you want to play, they just take a while to get regular root
Last edited by ajdes; 12-09-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 12-10-2019, 03:59 AM
Kobold

Forget Mage or Necro. Research is a serious time and money sink.

Go Bard. You have multiple ways to solo, and you can buy all of your spells from vendors. You also won't be a liability when you join a group like Druid.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:40 AM
VIP / Contributor

Reverse Engineers are pretty good for solo farming.

Makes slightly more $/hr than a software engineer, problem is they have one of the hardest learning curves. Really easy to solo on, though, as people literally will give you currency for playing the class well.

Downside is you might get banned early on if you're not careful about which NPCs you destroy. They're really good at breaking the play nice policy if you're not careful. Also, again, the learning curve really sucks, but again, high rewards.

I would try and farm IDA Pro from Hexrays first, you'll have an easier time getting more cash if you do that early on. Has clicky pseudocode which makes farming easy, too, which is also nice.

If you need any help, there's plenty of guides online and tons of resources about the class available, mostly self-serve though.

Hopefully they give them some much-needed buffs early game, its kind of intimidating playing the class as a newbie, lots of self-doubt and such.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Last edited by Secrets; 12-10-2019 at 04:42 AM..
Old 12-10-2019, 05:03 AM
Kobold

1. Get necro
2. Solo anything up to yellow, lots of profit and not hard at all
3. Get necro to Rathe Mountains giant-hunting level
4. Profit massively with little effort. Them being giants just makes it easier to keep track of them when you're fear kiting three at a time. One at a time can be done so drunk you that have to close one eye to see a single screen.
5. Go to EC and buy whatever strikes your fancy
6. Twink the ever-loving crap out of whatever characters follow

I played necros to 50s on live in 2000 and on blue, and past level 15 or so money stopped being a meaningful factor, with just a little work I always had plenty to get anything useful for my level. I haven't played bard or druid so maybe they can make lots of money too, particularly druids with porting, but I can say that necros make plenty of money and at least in outdoor zones, anything they see that's not red is only alive with the necro's permission. And it's really not hard to be converting two or three at a time to a more dead state. Add SOW and Clarity/KEI and it's not even vaguely fair anymore.

And I still think a necro with SOW is one of the best outdoor pullers. I was always able to supply to a group (as long as there were enough mobs) a completely continuous flow of half-dead mobs. Hit them with darkness and at least one more dot, run to group, pet and group wait for mob to arrive and attack, I FD. In 10-15 seconds pet or group has agro, run out, immediately repeat process with another mob, it will arrive at group just as first one dies, already half dead. Group taking little damage, chain pull until someone asks for mercy. Do that in OT and watch your levels go ding ding ding.

Another option is just using a group as an uber-pet and fear kite mobs, very useful if you're low on healing. Goes a tad slower as you'll have to occasionally med, but unless you're no good or the group is stupid, you can still kill things quickly with no one taking any damage.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Forget Mage or Necro. Research is a serious time and money sink.
Unlike mage the necro can actually get its pets right now. There's many more players with high level research now and the spells are available. You will be able to earn the money to buy them or tip someone to combine words that you buy/farm.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Early on.... rogue.

Later on.... also rogue probably.

Also gnome.
You need the in game knowledge to make the Rogue really shine here and to be willing to rub players up the wrong way. That said, I agree, a rogue can be a very profitable class to play and what is more, you don't even need to kill anything.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Necro.

They're a powerful solo exp class that also works well with a lot of different duo, trio, and group options.

You generally don't need to care about faction so you can go ahead and slaughter good NPCs (bards, guards, random townsfolk) for exp (or sometimes loot, like with guards); these camps are often quieter than other places so you can log on and immediately go to town without trying to find a camp.

Invis, invis vs undead, feign death, harmshield, pet allow you to travel around easily (just get some jboots or sow pots eventually, or tip druids/wizards for ports) both outdoors and in dungeons.

You have a lot of options: Fear kite with pet? Root rot? Lifetap tanking? Charming undead? Nuking undead? Some work better than others overall, but there are situations where a necro can deal with something that another class wouldn't be able to because of the different options they have.

FD is the ultimate "I randomly need to AFK while playing" tool.

Your other options aren't bad choices, but the necro stands out for what you're talking about imo.

Druid ports are convenient for self and for making cash, and druids are pretty versatile too: root rotting, charming animals, nuking stuff, quadding, lots of great buffs, snares and roots, acceptable healing. But they come up short overall compared to a necro imo, mostly because necros work as well indoors as out and have a strong pet without needing to charm and have amazing mana regen that druids never get.

Shaman is nice too. They're more straightforward than a necro or druid since they don't have any charm or pulling tricks to rely on to break up multiple spawns, but their mix of strong dots, great buffs, a pet, canni, slow, and resist debuffs carries them through. Most of the reason people think shamans are godly are because they're picturing a level 60 shaman with torpor. Shamans are a lot different before torpor than after because torpor gives the sham the staying power/brute force to win a fight even though they don't have the control or "oh shit" buttons a chanter (aoe stun, aoe mez, aoe blur) or necro (harmshield, feign death) have to use when they get in trouble; before torpor if they get behind the 8-ball, they don't really have a tool to right the ship except for perfect play and good luck on resists/root breaks.

Magician is too much of a one-trick pony to be a great all around solo character. They have no real way to pull or CC. They can farm solo pulls, or groups of lower-level mobs, well with strong pets and nukes but fall behind the others options above because of they lack the utility, mana regen, CC, etc., needed to handle themselves in most dungeon settings or against many stronger foes.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 12-10-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Old 12-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro.

They're a powerful solo exp class that also works well with a lot of different duo, trio, and group options.

You generally don't need to care about faction so you can go ahead and slaughter good NPCs (bards, guards, random townsfolk) for exp (or sometimes loot, like with guards); these camps are often quieter than other places so you can log on and immediately go to town without trying to find a camp.

Invis, invis vs undead, feign death, harmshield, pet allow you to travel around easily (just get some jboots or sow pots eventually, or tip druids/wizards for ports) both outdoors and in dungeons.

You have a lot of options: Fear kite with pet? Root rot? Lifetap tanking? Charming undead? Nuking undead? Some work better than others overall, but there are situations where a necro can deal with something that another class wouldn't be able to because of the different options they have.

FD is the ultimate "I randomly need to AFK while playing" tool.

Alright well you, along with everyone else speaking so highly of Necros, have pretty much convinced me that Necro is the class for me. The multiple ways to kill things and the many different tools in the Necro kit sounds like a lot of fun to play with. The ability to FD + AFK is also a pretty big deal for me. So, Necro it is!

Alright so, what race would you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards Erudite or Gnome because apparently they're the least KOS? I'm not too worried about faction considering I'll be killing guards, NPCs, Treants etc. for money. But, it would be nice to be able to buy/sell/bank/not be KOS in every city.
Closed Thread