Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If someone clones P99 im sure tons of people would love the rush of a new server they like racing to server firsts and other perks heh its just part of this society.
It's been tried before, someone tried to jump the gun on Rogean and release a """""Velious ready""""" (lol) server after getting banned here.

Needless to say his beta was a joke, and the amount of bugs and problems on launch night ranged from the XP rate being so slow it would take about 200 bard mail quests to hit level 2, to having non-classic mobs (added in later expansions) all over the place, non-classic loot, terrible forums (always important to have good forums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]), and a GM/dev who got very emotionally invested when anyone criticized the state of that circus server.

Threads got deleted, nobody was allowed to give constructive feedback, so the trolls came out and made it worse... there was a clear split between the P99 red players and the EQ live players lol.

TL;DR - its been attempted, it didn't end well. He took his ball and went home... epic it certainly wasn't.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Planar Protector

I probably wouldn't leave Blue until they turned the bloody thing off.

And even then, I'm not so sure I'd play on a New Blue. Probably, but it wouldn't feel right. If the Devs pulled the plug once, they could again, and it's a bad precedent to set.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Orc

Personally I would love a reset or a new server.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Aviak

A new server that divides the population? No thanks

Neeron Underhill
34 Warrior

Nasr Drogba
24 Necromancer

Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Fire Giant

The chicken little doom and gloom and drama that surrounds this topic everytime it comes up never ceases to amaze. But, then, we are gamers and that's just what we do, I guess.

One of the goals of this project, as I understand it, is to recreate classic era EQ as well as an accurate patch and expansion timeline. Classic era EQ has been recreated, with velious still pending, of course. But due to the unavoidable work-in-progress nature of the project we have never had an accurate timeline. Classic, for example, wasn't remotely classic because of mechanics and features that were still in the game and hadn't been nerfed or restored to classic. Kunark was never out for years before velious, etc etc.

So both sides of this constant debate just need to chill. Velious isn't here yet and even when it is there will still be plenty to tweak and fix. It will take time so dont expect a new server anytime soon even once it's out. On the other hand, once velious is finished, don't be so ridiculous as to think there will never be another server, either. We have the pops to support two blue servers and have for years. Lots of people will start and return for a new server also, because lots of people, myself included, really love fresh server starts. Besides, they did all this work restoring the game, it's just silly to think they won't apply al that work to a new server at some point. They've said from the beginning that it was a possibility and it makes perfect sense for them to do so, considering how non-classic the current server has been, particularly pre kunark.

They've also said that after velious there is the possibility of custom end game content. Not something I'm crazy about, personally, but duly noted.

So, all of that taken into consideration, what I would like to see is two servers....The one we have now, I'll call it the Perma Server, and a new fresh one I'll call the Timeline Server. The Perma Server stays as it is and that is where the custom content gets added. The Timeline Server starts fresh, day one classic, then runs thru the entire patch and expansion timeline up to what would have been the start of Luclin. Or that plus the sleeper being woken. Some milestone like that. Then the Timeline Server gets merged with the Perma Server, wiped, and starts the timeline over. Rinse, repeat.

This way there is something for everyone. For those who don't want to start over there's no need to worry. For those that do, they can. For those who missed the start of p99, the new server, or any other part of the timeline they particularly enjoy, the possibility of being there for it next time will perpetually be available to them. A win win for everybody.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 04-12-2014 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The chicken little doom and gloom and drama that surrounds this topic everytime it comes up never ceases to amaze. But, then, we are gamers and that's just what we do, I guess.

One of the goals of this project, as I understand it, is to recreate classic era EQ as well as an accurate patch and expansion timeline. Classic era EQ has been recreated, with velious still pending, of course. But due to the unavoidable work-in-progress nature of the project we have never had an accurate timeline. Classic, for example, wasn't remotely classic because of mechanics and features that were still in the game and hadn't been nerfed or restored to classic. Kunark was never out for years before velious, etc etc.

So both sides of this constant debate just need to chill. Velious isn't here yet and even when it is there will still be plenty to tweak and fix. It will take time so dont expect a new server anytime soon even once it's out. On the other hand, once velious is finished, don't be so ridiculous as to think there will never be another server, either. We have the pops to support two blue servers and have for years. Lots of people will start and return for a new server also, because lots of people, myself included, really love fresh server starts. Besides, they did all this work restoring the game, it's just silly to think they won't apply al that work to a new server at some point. They've said from the beginning that it was a possibility and it makes perfect sense for them to do so, considering how non-classic the current server has been, particularly pre kunark.

They've also said that after velious there is the possibility of custom end game content. Not something I'm crazy about, personally, but duly noted.

So, all of that taken into consideration, what I would like to see is two servers....The one we have now, I'll call it the Perma Server, and a new fresh one I'll call the Timeline Server. The Perma Server stays as it is and that is where the custom content gets added. The Timeline Server starts fresh, day one classic, then runs thru the entire patch and expansion timeline up to what would have been the start of Luclin. Or that plus the sleeper being woken. Some milestone like that. Then the Timeline Server gets merged with the Perma Server and starts the timeline over.
+1
Old 04-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Sarnak

That would be cool
Closed Thread