Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 02:06 PM
Kobold

Charisma gear is super cheap. I’d rather just carry some +cha pieces in bag rather than lose out of so much wisdom in stats.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Planar Protector

Human Innoruuk Cleric is a mega power combo in classic. Humans have the best itemization for Clerics that you can get including the most clickies and access to the special cleric robes, and the faction is good / one of the best across the board as a whole. Your stat aggregate is also the highest among all clerics.

Its probably the best cleric race religion combo, competing with DE Inny who has to sacrifice some of those perks just for Hide, or Halfling who gets Hide and Sneak, but loses a lot of good itemization.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charisma gear is super cheap. I’d rather just carry some +cha pieces in bag rather than lose out of so much wisdom in stats.
Never understood this logic given the paucity of charisma items that also offer "other important stuff" like AC/HP/mana/resists. Sounds like a losing bargain to me.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never understood this logic given the paucity of charisma items that also offer "other important stuff" like AC/HP/mana/resists. Sounds like a losing bargain to me.

If you only need charisma for lulls, then wouldn’t be easier and better to simply swap the items for out +charisma and keep the other starting points for wisdom? Maybe I’m overlooking something. For reference, I have an Inny cleric and have about 100 charisma with gear I’ve collected and with putting my starting points into wisdom and strength. I have a few items in my bags that can easily get my charisma to 145 or so when I need to lull.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you only need charisma for lulls, then wouldn’t be easier and better to simply swap the items for out +charisma and keep the other starting points for wisdom? Maybe I’m overlooking something. For reference, I have an Inny cleric and have about 100 charisma with gear I’ve collected and with putting my starting points into wisdom and strength. I have a few items in my bags that can easily get my charisma to 145 or so when I need to lull.
This wouldn't be bad logic -- if only you could guarantee 100% lull rates. Even with 200+ cha you are going to get a decent amount critical lulls.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This wouldn't be bad logic -- if only you could guarantee 100% lull rates. Even with 200+ cha you are going to get a decent amount critical lulls.
Fair enough
Old 02-09-2020, 09:37 PM
Fire Giant

The min/max Charisma debate is very interesting. It's easy to get wisdom gear but Human has low starting wisdom and people are concerned about a low Mana pool. Considering how most people gear their clerics (entirely +Wis) it makes a lot of sense to dump all your points into Cha.

I've been banging this drum for a long time and I'll keep banging it and people will continue to poo-poo it ----------- ~wisdom isn't a great stat~

Here's another issue. You dump all your points into Charisma. Every single time you get a crit resist for the life of your toon you got hosed on your stat roll. Every single time.

Here's the other issue --- all these people who want Cha to "atone" and "calm" and "navigate dungeons naked for corpse runs" ---- first of all barely anybody who rolls a cleric does these things, and second of all the cleric that does all these things needs sooooome wisdom because they are wearing HP AC Resist gear and not +Wis gear.

Also, the cleric in HP AC Resist gear isn't dying as much as the +Wis cleric, therefore he won't be doing these "naked corpse runs" that are just a production of people's imagination and never actually happen.

I did 15 Wis 15 Cha and I kinda beat myself up about it for a bit but now Im happy with it. I wear one piece of +Wis gear so I am happy with that bit of Wis at roll cause I knew I wouldn't be getting it from gear. I do the most dangerous camps in the game very well duo and trio. I pull and take hits all day. I soloed most of my 40s just fine.

I've done a lot of calming and you know what? It's been great. Clerics have DA. There's WC cap. If you crit resist there are options. If you're with a shaman you get a cha buff. If you're with an Enc you won't be calming. Again, most clerics will not be doing all these crazy things on their own - they'll be sitting on their ass in a full group or sitting on their ass casting CH while a Shaman or Enc does the heavy lifting. They certainly won't be willing to take hits when they don't have over 2000 HP, damn near 800AC, and around 130 MR buffed with all that Wis gear they have on.

Here's another one....you get a Manastone. Why the hell do you have any Wis gear on at all anymore? What the hell do you need Wis for?

Really 25 CHA is a great choice at roll, considering most people's gearing. I did 15 and 15 because I knew what I would be doing with my toon. I won't be joining a ~~~~~rAiD~~~~~ guild and I won't be getting any +20 Wis dragon drops. I don't need them. I made it to 50 and have made plenty of plat and have had plenty of adventures just fine.

You're not missing out on Wis dude, Cha is a good choice.

<The A-Team>
Last edited by Tuljin; 02-09-2020 at 09:44 PM..
Old 02-11-2020, 08:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toehammer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just made an Inny human cleric today. I am still apprehensive to Perrin after turning in letters to him twice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999...noruuk_cleric/

Did something get screwed up?

Also put 25 points in CHA and 5 in WIS... really a good choice?
No. Short answer No, long answer you fucked yourself. Reroll and save yourself some pain.

The amount of idiots in this thread giving you encouragement on choosing a stat that only sorta effects one small aspect of your play (10% MAYBE) while crippling the other 90% of your gameplay over the entire life of your cleric should give you enough pause.

Character creation is the largest single allocation of points for most combos and no matter what type of gameplay style you plan on playing the cleric ( solo, combat, all group) WIS and your mana pool is going to dictate 90% of that

Edit- and before the paint chip eaters chim in, will it stop you from getting to 50? No. Will it increase your med'ing time sitting on your ass or playing OOM by hundreds of hours over the course of the characters life? Making everything a lot less unenjoyable? Ya
Last edited by Gatorsmash; 02-11-2020 at 08:17 AM..
Old 02-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Fire Giant

Actually having more mana does mean you’ll be medding more and longer..
Old 02-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

+25 WIS is nothing to sneeze at, especially in classic and Kunark eras. You won't come close to capping WIS until Velious, especially in resist gear. And remember that every additional bit of +WIS you get at character creation means less +WIS you need from gear, which allows you flexibility to instead itemize for +CHA, Mana, AC, HP or resists as needed.

Also keep in mind that most everything you will be calming as a Cleric will be an XP mob. Meaning a low blue con. So even with only a modest CHA stat you will still have mostly successful calms simply due to the level differential, which only increases as you get to high levels, thus calming gets more reliable as you level.

Honestly it's very dumb to prioritize CHA over WIS on a Cleric. Over the life of the character the additional Mana from extra WIS will probably come in handy and possibly save your group/your life more than some extra CHA preventing a few crit fails while pulling XP mobs (which you should have a plan B for anyway since you will still fail occasionally even with Max CHA).
Closed Thread