Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 05-11-2022, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't true at all. Let's say you are farming safety XP: you're going to be playing for an extended period of time. The extra stats from Vindi BP aren't going to help you kill those XP mobs meaningfully faster ... but wearing your Fungi while you do it will save you a few Torpor casts over the entire XP session.

Again, it's not going to make a huge (or even medium-sized) difference either way, but objectively-speaking wearing the Fungi and having to cast Torpor less will be better in that case.
In that case its irrelevant what you are wearing, and saving one minute on torpor at then end of the session isn't going to matter. So just stick with the Vindi BP and give your fungi to an alt[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-11-2022, 02:02 PM
Aviak

for almost all grp content Fungi is better, if you are fighting dragons' Vindi for sure. the only reason to wear a velious BP is for the clickie (which is amazing) or fashion. female iksar PoG chest fantastic fashion fwiw.

Solo'n cliff golems i would use fungi vs vindi bp but other shaman solo targets, ww dragons for instance, i'd use vindi.

reality though, the difference is very small with respect to the power of torpor
Old 05-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So just stick with the Vindi BP and give your fungi to an alt[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was going to write something similar but you got there first. I see where Arbiter and Loramin are coming from in the sense that you can reach a point where your gear gives you enough durability and room for error to feel comfortable for the content you do and the only effect you notice anymore is maybe casting a little bit fewer heals here and there. They aren't wrong in that sense and nobody ever hurt himself by having a fungus tunic handy. However in most cases by the time someone reaches that point, if they have a fungus tunic at all it'll already be transferred to a melee alt where it can do some real good. If a player keeps it on his shaman, yeah, use it where appropriate if inclined. As the content gets easier (which includes out-gearing stuff) the worn regen gets better, even if "better" is reduced simply to a slight effort reduction as opposed to any difference in odds of success.

It matters so little in practice that the wife doesn't have a regen BP on her shaman even though at no point in the past 5+ years (and more) have we not had enough money to buy one if she wanted it. This is very much an academic discussion at this point, but I appreciate a level discussion about a shared hobby versus the all-too-frequent forum flame-fests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Granted it's impossible to ever know which hits you avoided strictly due to the AC difference between a Fungi and a Vindi BP, but still.
In theory you should avoid close to zero hits because worn AC shouldn't be affecting avoidance. Certainly it won't affect dodge. The additional AC should be reducing the average damage roll on successful hits, not the raw chance to hit in the first place. The -10 agility on the fungus could affect hit chance, slightly, so I call it close to zero instead of zero, although the effect from 10 agility is close enough to zero that particular point is largely moot. Dodge should work based on the character's dodge skill only. Raw miss chance works from a combination of things like defense skill, agility, etc. The caveat here is as always: We don't actually know whether P99's mechanics in this sense fully mimic EQ-Live, so I can only discuss how it presumably works, not necessarily how it really does.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 05-11-2022 at 03:44 PM..
Old 05-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Sarnak

Artists depiction of shaman optimization arguments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg men-arguing-louis.jpg (97.1 KB, 2 views)
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In theory you should avoid close to zero hits because worn AC shouldn't be affecting avoidance. Certainly it won't affect dodge. The additional AC should be reducing the average damage roll on successful hits, not the raw chance to hit in the first place. The -10 agility on the fungus could affect hit chance, slightly, so I call it close to zero instead of zero, although the effect from 10 agility is close enough to zero that particular point is largely moot. Dodge should work based on the character's dodge skill only. Raw miss chance works from a combination of things like defense skill, agility, etc. The caveat here is as always: We don't actually know whether P99's mechanics in this sense fully mimic EQ-Live, so I can only discuss how it presumably works, not necessarily how it really does.

Danth
This one I did not know. I had always thought AC both decreased damage taken and increased chances of avoiding a hit altogether. The more you know!
Old 05-11-2022, 03:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This one I did not know. I had always thought AC both decreased damage taken and increased chances of avoiding a hit altogether. The more you know!
It does in the sense that your AC score you see when you open your inventory does include all of that. Just it's a combined value; your mitigation AC and avoidance AC come from different sources. I cannot stress enough that the above assumes P99's AC system works like original EQ's did, which I have my own doubts about. In practice, I think it's safe to say "more is better" although we can debate how much more it takes to be X amount better.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It does in the sense that your AC score you see when you open your inventory does include all of that. Just it's a combined value; your mitigation AC and avoidance AC come from different sources. I cannot stress enough that the above assumes P99's AC system works like original EQ's did, which I have my own doubts about. In practice, I think it's safe to say "more is better" although we can debate how much more it takes to be X amount better.
Yeah I'm curious myself. I know if I load a level 1 with 100ac worth of worn armor, he is going to get missed a lot more by large rats than he would if naked, so I wonder why that is.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Aviak

Yes, Danth is absolutely correct here.

Here is a parse a P99 player by the name of Bugen did on a level 59 Golem in Velketor's Labyrinth. Defended is the sum of all the defensive skills. As you can see as his ac went down, there was no effect on the rate his defensive skills activated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parse.jpg (20.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-11-2022, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah I'm curious myself. I know if I load a level 1 with 100ac worth of worn armor, he is going to get missed a lot more by large rats than he would if naked, so I wonder why that is.
I'll post "how it should work" when appropriate, but in practice I assume P99's AC system is almost wholly custom. The parts of it we definitely know about (shield overcap AC, clothies getting high returns, etc) are indeed either custom or at least out-of-era. So I return to, "more is better" since all parsing done at least confirms the general strength of the stat since the 2015 revamp.