Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-31-2023, 02:00 AM
Sarnak

http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20001003.html

Right where I expected it to be based on the evidence so far. October 3, 2000
Ragebringer nerf, alongside NPC and Quest updates. Based on the timeline I think this makes sense as the starting point for the behavior observed in Plane of Hate. It was the last patch before it was reported, and the only other patch between epic implementation and the report was Sept 28 and was a lvl 1 name purge, fix to fleeing NPCs, and some command and UI tweaks. http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000928.html
Old 01-31-2023, 08:39 AM
Planar Protector

Keep in mind not all monsters picked up items, could only be clerics for example and perhaps only a certain level range. Maybe they also only searched for ground items every 2 ticks in a specific radius.

So possible the roamer may never pick up the item, but maybe if there was the unlucky combo and they searched in the sweet spot then yeah they could.

All needs testing to determine mechanic
Old 01-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Aviak

The item pickup scans were fairly quick, there was a quest involving Hansl Bigroon in qeynos called "The Bridge" that you had to watch an item spawn and grab it before he could pick it up. It only showed up for about a second, sometimes less.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:57 PM
Project Manager

I did preliminary testing of npcs picking up ground items a while ago. If people can fill in edge cases to finish requirements that'd be great.

Here were my findings:
Quote:
For these tests, I used Jracol Brestiage in qeynos2, and Nillipuss in rivervale.

-npcs that pick up items will pick up dropped items regardless of their type. They can be norent (summoned:black bread), they can be magicial (blackened iron armplates)
-the timer seems to be somewhere between 4.5 and 6 seconds. I used a stopwatch to test.
-the radius of pickup seems the same for the npcs who pick up items. somewhere around 48-50 distance (using #dist).
-when an npc picks up items, it picks up ALL available items within range, providing a text response for each when picked up.
-npcs also pick up items if they are in combat.
Old 01-31-2023, 02:05 PM
Banned

i love this
Old 02-01-2023, 04:11 PM
Aviak

I forgot to go back and find this npc to add to my list of item pickups, he's in OOT.

[Tue May 31 16:29:33 2022] Endan Halson picks up something from the ground.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first post makes no sense, since mobs are always nearby, so you can't pick it up just by clearing mobs, you have to wait. So likely a rumor of a rumor.

The second post has timing that is consistent with my theory that this happened as bugged unintentional behavior for several weeks before being patched.

The alternative theory, that this was intentional behavior that existed in Hate through the revamp many years later is inconsistent with the point of the quest (rogues sneak by scary monsters) and inconsistent with virtually everyone's memory of the quest (including this project's co-founder, Rogean, who played a rogue for 10 years on live).
Old 02-02-2023, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

I aim to test this on live with other no drop ground spawns and see if hate pathing is in range.

Just a guess, but perhaps only 1 type of mob could pick up, which may not be allowed as a pather, so if a puller pulled the right type of mob under or around there you screwed. But maybe it wont be allowed to pick up, we shall sees.

No doubt EQ had rumors propagate the land, was the original going viral. Either way will get the facts
Old 02-02-2023, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first post makes no sense, since mobs are always nearby, so you can't pick it up just by clearing mobs, you have to wait. So likely a rumor of a rumor.
Unless those players had a rough estimate of when the ground spawn would appear and scheduled their raids around that time, clearing the area leading to and surrounding the nightstand beforehand as a precaution. And/or they continued to clear the zone, waiting for additional books...

https://web.archive.org/web/20020816...ildNewsDec.htm

Quote:
Sunday - December 1, 2001

Screenshots

I will update Screenshots this week =o). Check out pictures from Kael, ToFS and Hate. If you have screenshots email them to me!

Plane of Hate

Great job to everyone that was at Hate! Much better job of listening and assisting! With 6 groups we cleared out the first floor, Maestro and that nasty hand. Thanks to Kroeten for getting everyone up there! Thanks to Gneiss for handling all the loot and Sarkisian for resing us with his fancy click-stick as well! We picked up lots of gear for clerics and several pieces for the other classes. Slinkity, Deniden and Paackets, who picked up the book of souls, all got items for their epics.
Regardless of whether the majority of guilds did this or not, the initial link is still a corroborating account of NPC behavior in the zone at the time. There is even mention of the book showing up on track; if this can be confirmed elsewhere, it adds more credibility to the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoolrausch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The second post has timing that is consistent with my theory that this happened as bugged unintentional behavior for several weeks before being patched.
https://project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19

Quote:
Old 10-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Project Manager

With the new round of beta testing, this is highly relevant.

Please make sure to include all the information you can about an issue.

I'm wasting a lot of time reading posts with no research or links.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:48 PM
Kobold

I gave links, and im the only person in this thread that linked to a post of an actual live rogue who actually did the quest, and surprise, they snuck past hate mobs to get their book, exactly as one would predict the quest to work, since it makes no sense to make a ground spawn for a rogue to pick up if they have to clear every mob in the zone to get it, they could have just made it a drop off a named mob.