Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-23-2022, 04:55 PM
Fire Giant

Default Don't split Green 2.0

So, maybe I'm alone here, but I think the Green/Teal split was dumb. There is more than enough content to support 2-3k people 1-40. People just need to be willing to hunt in the Mino caves in Steamfont or derv camps in Sro or goblin camps in BBM or hunting in Najena, Permafrost, etc.

I'll grant that there was an issue when Green launched with outdoor ZEM being kinda fucked, but we don't have that this time. Let's see groups in Runnyeye!
Old 11-23-2022, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, maybe I'm alone here, but I think the Green/Teal split was dumb. There is more than enough content to support 2-3k people 1-40. People just need to be willing to hunt in the Mino caves in Steamfont or derv camps in Sro or goblin camps in BBM or hunting in Najena, Permafrost, etc.

I'll grant that there was an issue when Green launched with outdoor ZEM being kinda fucked, but we don't have that this time. Let's see groups in Runnyeye!
Think that one through again. There aren't enough newbie zones at opening for 2-3k people. 12 starting races. 1-2 newbie zones. We're looking at 100-200 people per zone if we manage a perfect distribution.

TMK, 100-200 doesn't work in any newbie zone.

It takes weeks/months for people to fan out. 66 zones (including all cities + Arena + Temple of Sol Ro). If we had 3,000 online at once perfectly distributed across all zones, a single server is not enough.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:30 PM
Banned

dude let's open another earth
(lol)
Old 11-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

I played on green from the moment in launched, I remember groups of 6 getting together to take on level 2-3 mobs at level 1. It was crazy, but it was only the first day. Once there's people hitting 5-6 there's a ton of zones to spread to and a ton more space in most of the newbie zones. A split just funnels everyone down the same old leveling path we've all done. Faydwer races go to orc hill then CB, east antonica go to Befallen/Oasis and west Antonica go to Blackburrow/WK bandits.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

Math is not on your side, fellow elf.
  1. Count server population
  2. Count all level 1-20 zones
  3. Count all camps in zones
  4. Divide total server population by # of camps
  5. Realize the number is much higher than 6
  6. Join the good guys who want Green 2.0 & Teal 2.0
  7. Or come join me in retirement and be a true ForumQuester
Old 11-23-2022, 06:15 PM
Banned

Totally agree with OP. I understand why the devs split it, and I have nothing but respect for the people that make this entire thing happen. But I always felt like the issue would naturally work itself out. The first few days are obviously going to be chaotic and overcrowded no matter what, and there's no way to really emulate the actual launch of everquest as it was in 1999. But people naturally level at different rates, or simply aren't willing to log in on literal day 1 because of the crazy congestion in newbie areas, so the population quickly stratifies within the first week. The whole "people camping individual spawns in everfrost" thing only happened for maybe.. 2 days? 3 at most?

I also started green on day 1 decided not to switch over to teal. Again I think the devs were just trying to make people happy I don't fault them at all, but then when the servers merged back together there was a lot of unnecessary animosity created between who was on teal and who was on green. The teal tribe felt like they were being "forced" into green, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Both populations were merged, the resulting server was just named "Green". Had it been named "Teal" instead, the green people would have been up in arms about being "forced into teal".

I think it makes sense to not split, unless there's like a serious hardware limitation where people can't log in at all, or there's some other backend issue that requires a split.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe 20-30 level 1-20 zones.

There aren't 15 camps in CB.
There aren't 15 camps in WK.
There aren't 15 camps in Gorge of King Xorbb.
There aren't 15 camps in Qeynos Hills.
There aren't 15 camps in Unrest.
There aren't 15 camps in Befallen.

Let alone for 15 full groups of 6 =D

2000-3000 is a bit optimistic though.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:28 PM
Banned

guy who "solo'd" the fastest 1-50 (NOT 60 LOL) unable to contemplate group play
Old 11-23-2022, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
guy who "solo'd" the fastest 1-50 (NOT 60 LOL) unable to contemplate group play
You're right. When I say "100 people in CB is unhealthy for the server" what I mean is "I don't like grouping."

If you really stretch you maybe have 10 camps in CB. So we have 60 people (10 groups of 6) with 40 people waiting in line for a group spot to open up.

These people would probably complain, but more than likely they are simply unable to contemplate group play.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Sarnak

Agree with OP, the split was neither necessary nor beneficial. There were plenty of mobs to kill and the population was stratifying on its own. Letting people box green + teal made it even worse on top of that because many would just sit in the /list for both servers at once.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>