Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebandit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im not exactly sure why/how but i have done this before.. Pulled a waterbottle out of the freezer and it was still liquid and set it down and it literally started to freeze in front of me..

(I live in arizona.. its like 70degrees)
Has something to do with the way ice is formed; I'm probably the wrong person to have explain this so I won't get too technical. But basically for ice to form there has to be a "nucleus" present, normally in nature it would be some sort of impurity that the ice can stick to. Since there aren't really any impurities in the bottle of water and the bottle is left mostly undisturbed as it drops below its freezing point its harder for ice to actually form. When the bottle is taken out of the freezer the water is disturbed enough for the water to freeze/crystalize, or something like that. I believe they call liquid water that has dropped below it's freezing point "super cooled" but again this is just off what I remember from a science class I took like 3 years ago lol, it is pretty awesome to see though.

ps I'm in new York and fuck this cold its painful to go outside.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Been chilly in Ohio, bit below normal, but it doesn't feel especially newsworthy beyond the modern tendency towards hyping everything. I recall many area schools were shut down for about a week in early 1994 during a period of excessive cold. I think it hit -20 across most the region then--directly, not bogus windchill. Nothing was shut down that long this time and minimum low temperatures didn't really get close.

The folks who got it hard would've been either the folks farther north of here where it got genuinely frigid--you people in Maine or Canada or whatnot--or the folks a bit farther south who aren't prepared for cold. A bit under 0 degrees is trivial when you're used to it, but 30 degrees sucks when you don't even own a real coat.

I prefer this sort of cold spell over the more typical ~25 degree weather. It doesn't snow anything like it does at 20-30 degrees, the ground's frozen so there's no mud, and the air's crisp and clear as can be. Couple weeks ago we had a couple days of 40, maybe flirting with 50 degree weather. Folks were out in their shirtsleeves. The ground was a sea of mud so I'm not sure that it was necessarily better.

Danth
Old 01-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasslehofp99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has something to do with the way ice is formed; I'm probably the wrong person to have explain this so I won't get too technical. But basically for ice to form there has to be a "nucleus" present, normally in nature it would be some sort of impurity that the ice can stick to. Since there aren't really any impurities in the bottle of water and the bottle is left mostly undisturbed as it drops below its freezing point its harder for ice to actually form. When the bottle is taken out of the freezer the water is disturbed enough for the water to freeze/crystalize, or something like that. I believe they call liquid water that has dropped below it's freezing point "super cooled" but again this is just off what I remember from a science class I took like 3 years ago lol, it is pretty awesome to see though.

ps I'm in new York and fuck this cold its painful to go outside.
This explanation pretty much nailed it, Tass.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Sarnak

Florida here.

It was like 55 last night. I couldn't even go outside!
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drktmplr12 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Florida here.

It was like 55 last night. I couldn't even go outside!
haha savarin was from FT Lauderdale he used to tell me, in the middle of winter when its in the teens here, that he had to put on a coat and have his car heater on full blast to go to the store when it was 60degrees.

oooooooh!

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Orc

I live in Biddeford, I feel your pain man.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Biddifud! haha love seeing all these players from maine

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Orc

Yeah just checking through the whole thread it looks like maybe 4-5 people from Maine, which is VERY surprising. Love seeing it though!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

yeah it is!

Gonna have to do a Portland meeting this summer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Orc

I'm down with that. Would be pretty sweet to see the folks who still play my favorite game.