Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Sarnak

Default New Chanter Tips

Anyone have any tips for a brand new chanter?

• How do chanters solo without heals? Is it as simple as finding a camp, charming a mob, then slowing the mob its attacking so it takes less damage? Or do you usually find a healing duo partner like a Cleric/Shaman/Druid?

• What happens when charm breaks and you now have 2 mobs beating you down? I feel like you would die quick being a caster and such little HP, especially with a hasted pet.

• Do you normally mez your pet first, then charm it? Or do you mez/tash then charm? Or just run up to a mob and charm from a distance?

• How do you effectively pull a mob? Charm pet, park it it camp, pull to camp?

• Do you constantly have Rune up or only use for certain occasions?

Anything else that would be useful, please share. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
• How do chanters solo without heals? Is it as simple as finding a camp, charming a mob, then slowing the mob its attacking so it takes less damage? Or do you usually find a healing duo partner like a Cleric/Shaman/Druid?
Rune is what allows you mitigate the need for heals.
You'll still get whacked every once in a while, especially if soloing with animation pet, in which case you'll need to regen (troll illusion helps).

Quote:
• What happens when charm breaks and you now have 2 mobs beating you down? I feel like you would die quick being a caster and such little HP, especially with a hasted pet.
Root your target so you only have your pet on you. Stun ASAP and mez - if lucky you only get 1 round of melee from your pet and it gets absorbed by your rune which you will have to recast.

Quote:
• Do you normally mez your pet first, then charm it? Or do you mez/tash then charm? Or just run up to a mob and charm from a distance?
At low levels, can just freaking channel charm through pet's melee. Charms don't last all that long at these levels anyway.

The higher level pet you charm, the more need there is to stun, mez, tash, charm. Post level 30, you pretty much always do that.

Quote:
Depends on the situation and your objective. Sometimes do like you said, sometimes send pet into a group of mobs and AE mez everything then peel mobs 1 by 1 while keeping the rest mezzed. Sometimes calm mobs and pull a single. Sometimes just mez a mob and that will pull his neighbour.

Sometimes you charm your objective and get it whacked on by trash mobs to get it low then finish it off.

There are too many situations to have a set answer.

Quote:
When charming for exp, means charming mobs that can easily kill you, pretty much always have rune up. At higher levels you get Bedlam, component-free rune (that stacks with regular rune, too).

Quote:
Duo with a healer is a lot more fun, safe and efficient than solo IMO but to each its own.
Level 16 AE Mez is an incredibly powerful spell - learn to leverage it.
At high levels - Blanket of Forgetfulness will often be your friend.
Make friends with a bunch of good clerics.
Don't burn yourself out trying to get your epic too quickly.
Don't underestimate the power of Animations - don't listen to people who say enchanters must always charm - these people have no clue.
Use your keyboard as much as possible and develop muscle memory for stuff like handling charm breaks or dealing with many mobs (over 6 is many for chanter as AE mez hits only up to 6).
Last edited by Izmael; 11-15-2020 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

ROOT EVERYTHING
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 AM
Sarnak

Izmael’s response is really solid. The only thing I’d add is how important charisma is to an enchanter. It’s crazy important for charming to the point you’ll see noticeable differences in charm duration when your charisma buff wears off. Stack as much charisma as you can trying to get to 255 buffed.

In my mind stats for an enchanter prioritize as cha > hp > mana> ac

Oh and for selecting charm pets there are a couple checks charm has each tic to determine if it will break. Those are level difference between you and the pet, the pets magic resistance, and then charisma. Lower level pets with lower mgc resist will hold better as pets

Couple other handy tips, carry torches as giving this to your pet will make them dual wield (and enhances the ambiance in a dark dungeon) as you get higher lvl your charm will require either two stun or stun + mez to get off as the cast time is so long. There are pros and cons to each approach just play around with it to see which works for you. Lastly standing in a corner can help with regaining control when charm breaks. A hasted quadding pet generates a lot of push and will interrupt non stop, the corner can help you channel that stun or mez to regain control.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Keep the stun on spellbar slot #1, it refreshes faster than the rest of the spell slots.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by project99toons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone have any tips for a brand new chanter?

Get an instant click item (probably a telescope pre-30 and rod of insidious glamour post 30). Hotkey it, and when you hit that hotkey after casting it resets the global spell casting cool down, so you can cast a different spell immediately. For the top spell slot, you can start casting that spell immediately even if it was the last one you cast, but the cast will fail if the cast ends before the spell's recast time has run its course.

Bandages are useful when solo. When charm soloing keep the target rooted. It's valid to kill a mob equal to your charm pet without slow/haste, invis to break charm when they are both low, and nuke both down. It's also valid to kill several mobs with a stronger pet. When soloing, if the pet does more than half the damage it takes half the xp; this damage count is erased by breaking charm or successfully blurring the target.

If you get two on you you can color stun and ae mez (you need maybe 70-80 mr to get pretty reliable at resisting your own ae mez, which you will eventually get through buffs), or kite if possible.

I often try to keep double runed (berserker line earlier in the effects order than the rune line so it takes damage first) especially when charm soloing, but will relax this especially if I'm in a group that needs my mana elsewhere and charm breaks seem low risk (weak pet, alert group). Pay attention to what gets you killed and try to minimize risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep the stun on spellbar slot #1, it refreshes faster than the rest of the spell slots.
Do you mean mez? I never considered putting stun in top slot. Mez and swap-slot are both nice top slot options. Swap is nice both because you can start casting the swapped spell quicker, and because it's nice for chain casting lull line spells or getting off a couple nukes faster. I find mez top slot to be nice when fighting resisty mobs, but otherwise prefer swap. I am currently experimenting with using the top slot for both mez and swap; I figure I can ae mez if I need it while mez is swapped.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:02 PM
Sarnak

ive said this many times - when you mez something from behind, its 100% memblur. so once your target is near death, position yourself behind it, mez it and immediately call off your pet. then use a low level nuke to finish target. this yields 100% exp. other option is to invis yourself to break charm, but then you have to deal with the uncharmed pet, and have to recharm.

ideally thou, you wanna have two equal level mobs fighting each other so you're getting 200% exp every fight (from target mob kill and uncharmed pet kill)

or use the animation pet and take it easy. charming is for veteran players
Old 11-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dont do this
Keep two stuns loaded
1st slot being flexible is too important to put stun here

And it doesnt reason faster, if you use your gcd clicky it ungreys the spell gem so you can start the cast before the delay is up, but if the delay isnt up by the time the spell casts it will still fail
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 11-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ive said this many times - when you mez something from behind, its 100% memblur. so once your target is near death, position yourself behind it, mez it and immediately call off your pet.
Whaaat? Is that for real? I must test this!
Old 11-17-2020, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whaaat? Is that for real? I must test this!
I'm pretty sure this is a troll lol
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Closed Thread