Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM
Planar Protector

Default who plays dnd?

got a session to play tonight, i feel that this has to do with everquest in away, so i posted it

ive talked to a few that play dnd

currently i play two campaigns, a adnd, play a lvl 6 ranger (took about 8 months to get to this lvl) very fun, though we play with a big group of 10 members

2nd campaign is with the family only when we cant get our big group, just me and my two sisters, we each play two chars, no one wanted to heal so i created two clerics i play (campaigns sorta like the raymond foust a magians apprentice story line, but diffrent)....

anyways just wondering who else on the boards plays? share some of your stories, with the new on i we've started, only lvl 1 out of a few sessions, but is alot of fun
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Fire Giant

I play 4.0 every sunday.
Played a Dwarven Cleric to 10, then due to in game stuff all but one of us rerolled.
Now I'm a gith monk.

I love it, been playin for about a year. I look forward to every event.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

I played during AD&D and AD&D 2nd Edition. I used to have all the 1st ed. books (dmg, ph, monstrous manual, fiend folio, deities and demigods, forgotten realms, dragonlance, greyhawk, a couple others), and a lot of the 2nd ed., but they've been lost to the ravages of time. I would play now if any of my friends were gamer nerds, but alas, they aren't.

I was most proud of my level 12 thief in a real campaign that lasted several years and dozens of character record sheets way back when. He ended up being the covert head of a large smuggling operation, owned a castle, was knighted.. Fun times.

I also played in a few "monty" campaigns which kind of ruined it for me. I miss real DM's.

Once I had a real DM. I played a cleric with a pet cat to level 3 with him, and at the beginning of our next campaign we were basically forced underneath a besieged castle by the events in the story. On the way, the guard on one of the battlements failed a perception check, and took us for enemies. He rolled a 20 with a severe penalty to hit with a vat of boiling oil, and it fell on my cleric, killing him instantly. Since it was within the first 15 minutes of what was supposed to be a very long night, I sued to play the cat, and he let me. I proceeded to out dps the rest of the party with 1d2/1d2/1d3 claw/claw/bite.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Fire Giant

Guineapig better give all these people warnings for posting non server related items in server chat.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthmeal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guineapig better give all these people warnings for posting non server related items in server chat.
Shut up, assmunch.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

I played DnD second edition for awhile. I had more fun making my character and making campaigns than actually playing, we weren't 'nerds' so no one took the games seriously(except me). SO we basically had 'monty' campaigns all the time. Woulda been fun to have a serious crew but still enjoy some humor.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Kobold

I play a hybrid system using the basic rules of a game called Aftermath (post apocalyptic game), and adding my own magic systems and critters. The company FGU (fantasy games unlimited) also made a Japaneses fantasy game called Bushido that used the same basic rules thus it was easy to transform to fantasy.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Planar Protector

I played Gurps in semi-historical and Fallout theme setting, and ADnD 3.0E for over a year

I didn't really like DnD combat rules and magic spells system - combat felt too random and spell casting too cumbersome , so I wrote my own system from the scratch (inspired by EQ actually). Was highly successful with my group for over 2 years.

One of the funny stories we had was an encounter with a mob who basically killed itself.
The situation was as following -there was a giant 2-headed mutant rat standing next to a pool of acidic substance. The rat was suppose to leap forward and attack one of the player in flight. I, as GM, roll for rat leap, and get a 1 on d20 die - a critical failure. Now, according to my "bad things table" I roll d20 again to see what has happened, and rolled 1 AGAIN! Had to rule that mutant rat has tripped, and fallen into pool of acid and died, much to my players enjoyment [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Planar Protector

on a short break atm, but usally we play ever friday night from 4pm to 12am, i roleplay one of my clerics as a scared priest, the 2nd is over zealous, and doesnt think before he makes good accurate decisions, this is the 3.5 rule set, its a bit , well alot easier of rules and more smooth then adnd, for my ranger campaign its a mix of both, but 3.5 with the d20 to decide what happens with every roll is quite easy

oh man did i learn how one spell works tonight, could have been a 10 min fight that turned into a hour and a half, i casted a lvl 1 cleric spell fog (cant remember the exact name) but last 1 min, 10 rounds, and creates a huge fog by 20x40 feet, and 30 feet high, i didnt clarify where i casted it, meant to hide us from some ravaging wolves and goblins, so the gm decided i casted it in our general area, my two sis's were pissed lol, and you cant see shit in the fog, so i then took one of my other clerics out of the area, to do another cast of it in the goblins area, this allowed our party of 6 chars to then move out of the fog, and around it, as the other monsters went backwards from the fog, and as they did this, we ambushed em

quite fun, i have fun in eq, besides the grind, but sometimes i do have moments like this
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Planar Protector

oh the good ol' game of gurps, before my time, but my pops played that in the late 80's, we tried to do a game of it, to a fantasy setting, but dnd is just already there