Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 04-11-2022, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I rarely group as a Ranger, mostly solo. But when I do group I’m usually asked to tank.
Sounds reasonable then. Just carry another non-procing weapon to swap to if you're ever in a group and not tanking.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, you shouldn't. Stats are gravy, focus on the damage output of the weapons.
Winter's Fury has both, a good 13/23 ratio with Strength and HP, which is why I want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds reasonable then. Just carry another non-procing weapon to swap to if you're ever in a group and not tanking.
What I'm considering is selling the Frostbringer, getting my 1800 back, and buying a Skyfury Scimitar instead. Then I'll have two 13/23 weapons as my placeholders until Epic, or at least Swiftwind.

Then, if I haven't geared my Druid by then, the scimitar can go to him.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Winter's Fury has both, a good 13/23 ratio with Strength and HP, which is why I want it.

What I'm considering is selling the Frostbringer, getting my 1800 back, and buying a Skyfury Scimitar instead. Then I'll have two 13/23 weapons as my placeholders until Epic, or at least Swiftwind.

Then, if I haven't geared my Druid by then, the scimitar can go to him.
What he is saying is that a faster (10/18) weapon would outperform the slower 13/23 at higher levels and so you shouldn’t worry about acquiring stats on weapons. I agree with this poster, stats on weapons are just a bonus, speed for mainhand and ratio for offhand are most important.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman1022 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What he is saying is that a faster (10/18) weapon would outperform the slower 13/23 at higher levels and so you shouldn’t worry about acquiring stats on weapons. I agree with this poster, stats on weapons are just a bonus, speed for mainhand and ratio for offhand are most important.
Are you saying Lamentation becomes a better main-hand weapon the higher level you get? Because up until now I've been dual-wielding them.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Are you saying Lamentation becomes a better main-hand weapon the higher level you get? Because up until now I've been dual-wielding them.
That’s exactly what he means. Primary damage bonus gets higher as you level up, so the faster a weapon is the more often it gets applied. This also ignores ac.

You’re over complicating things for minimal gains. Just use the dual lammies until you get epic. And at that point go for lowest delay primary that you can afford with increasingly better ratios. As others have stated, sboz is pretty much the end game for tradeable Ranger primaries(excl warder loot)
Old 04-11-2022, 11:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s exactly what he means. Primary damage bonus gets higher as you level up, so the faster a weapon is the more often it gets applied. This also ignores ac.

You’re over complicating things for minimal gains. Just use the dual lammies until you get epic. And at that point go for lowest delay primary that you can afford with increasingly better ratios. As others have stated, sboz is pretty much the end game for tradeable Ranger primaries(excl warder loot)
That's exactly what I was planning to do, but I kept being told "no, you need to upgrade, Lammies suck, get a Woodsman's Staff, drop the Lammies, Woodsman Woodsman Woodsman." And I stubbornly kept the Lammies and did just fine.

Now I actually want to upgrade the Lammies for something better, and I'm being told not to? Seriously?

So unless I can resell the Frostbringer and get my 1800 back, I bought it for nothing?
Old 04-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That's exactly what I was planning to do, but I kept being told "no, you need to upgrade, Lammies suck, get a Woodsman's Staff, drop the Lammies, Woodsman Woodsman Woodsman." And I stubbornly kept the Lammies and did just fine.

Now I actually want to upgrade the Lammies for something better, and I'm being told not to? Seriously?

So unless I can resell the Frostbringer and get my 1800 back, I bought it for nothing?
Frostbringer is really easy to resell because of how good its aggro is for the price. Tbh I’d keep it for a tank setup. And just use dual lammies when you’re not tanking in a group. Woodmans is technically superior from 30-50s until you get epic but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get it.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frostbringer is really easy to resell because of how good its aggro is for the price. Tbh I’d keep it for a tank setup. And just use dual lammies when you’re not tanking in a group. Woodmans is technically superior from 30-50s until you get epic but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t get it.
So it's not worth getting a Winter's Fury then, to replace my off-hand Lammy?

If I'm going to keep it for tanking, I feel like I should also get a Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood, or a Flamesong, to pair with it for more proc threat.

Although a Ranger really doesn't have any problems with threat considering Call of Sky and Flame Lick.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 04-12-2022 at 12:12 AM..
Old 04-12-2022, 08:34 AM
Sarnak

You could tank with dual Lammies and never lose aggro, flame lick is far and away better than waiting on a proc for aggro.

If you want to flip the frosty to get your money back, I’ll buy it for my warrior which I’ve needed to replace for a while now.

People generally shit on lammies because they are a sub 0.5 ratio. Jade mace is around the same price and is a .5 ratio with 18 delay, making it the de jure twink weapon. No harm in using lammies till epic though. I still think the play would be to buy a 10/18 velium warsword (crafted velium warsword) for 5-6k. This is a weapon you could use forever in the primary alongside your swiftwind when you decide to do that.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:02 AM
Sarnak

If you aren't getting Swiftwind soon, then I would definitely upgrade your offhand Lammy with a better ratio. Winter's Fury or Scimitar of the Emerald Dawn come to mind with your budget, but if you are always solo or tanking then Frostbringer is perfectly acceptable as an offhand over Lammy. Really, the best thing you can do is to get Swiftwind done. You'll use that forever.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>