Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 08-09-2022, 12:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have the snare neck on my Troll Shaman. It has come handy numerous times even at higher end camps like fungi king in seb where a runner can mean a wipe.

It’s not the best snare. It frankly sucks with a short duration and lower percentage movement speed debuff … but it gives certain classes a whole new unique mechanic/skill that it otherwise wouldn’t have. It can, in some instances, change how you play entirely.

The snare will stop a runner from running.

Any item or racial perk that gives a class something it wouldn’t otherwise have is powerful.

Best racial skill perk? Sneak on halfling.
Best diety based? I’d argue snare neck.

Most important racial decider for a cleric? Liking what you look like.

In the end it’s all fashionquest.
I have multiple videos on my youtube channel disproving the need for snare neck on a Shaman. Just use root when you want to stop a runner. It has a faster cast, and same chance of resist. There are very few cases where you would actually need snare to accomplish anything, and in those cases it is easy enough to get a few https://wiki.project1999.com/Ball_of_Burlap_Yarn .

It's an item that's nice to have, but I have yet to find one instance where it was necessary or gameplay changing. Sadly it just isn't good enough to actually help out in any considerable way.

As I said before, Human Innoruuk Cleric is great. I have all the clickies and enjoy it immensely. But if you don't want to get the clickies (because they aren't really necessary for anything), then Tinkering would be better if you don't already have a Tinkerer, when discussing Human vs. Gnome vs. Dark Elf.

The only thing the clickies really open up are some solo possibilities because the fear and snare work on living mobs.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2022 at 12:23 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Look man. I have the snare neck on my shaman. I think I even chose the diety specifically with it in mind. I know its uses and its limitations (duration sucks … cast time sucks … % speed reduction sucks). There are, additionally very few places in the game I can think of off the top of my head where a runner running is truly dangerous .. but those camps do exist at both the high end and the lowerish end. For those areas you otherwise need a druid, Ranger, sk or bard. 50+ I wouldn’t even count on a warrior with snare whip because procs are so finicky.

Having said that it has saved more than one fungi group I’ve been in from a wipe. Rooting is cute but a DD (including procs) can break it. For the snare neck … once its applied it stays in place until either the mob dies or the duration expires. Nothing worse than a shroom managing to escape the exit room and have 2-4 more of its buddies come dashing in. I know that this is a whole group responsibility and shouldn’t fall on the shaman … but man it was nice not having to camp a cleric or wipe.

Do I use it often? Heck no. Does/did it get dusted off situationally .. yep.

No need to lecture me or parade around YouTube videos. Being able to snare on a shaman/cleric is cool.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 08-09-2022 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look man. I have the snare neck on my shaman. I think I even chose the diety specifically with it in mind. I know its uses and its limitations (duration sucks … cast time sucks … % speed reduction sucks). There are, additionally very few places in the game I can think of off the top of my head where a runner running is truly dangerous .. but those camps do exist at both the high end and the lowerish end. For those areas you otherwise need a druid, Ranger, sk or bard. 50+ I wouldn’t even count on a warrior with snare whip because procs are so finicky.

Having said that it has saved more than one fungi group I’ve been in from a wipe. Rooting is cute but a DD (including procs) can break it. For the snare neck … once its applied it stays in place until either the mob dies or the duration expires. Nothing worse than a shroom managing to escape the exit room and have 2-4 more of its buddies come dashing in. I know that this is a whole group responsibility and shouldn’t fall on the shaman … but man it was nice not having to camp a cleric or wipe.

No need to lecture me or parade around YouTube videos. Being able to snare on a shaman/cleric is cool.
Search back further in the priest threads.

On your break there were some multiple like ~100 page threads when DSM released his shaman guide saying ogres were the best.

This has been heavily discussed, lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

On a side note high elf clerics can cast root with the tunare necklace. It wasn't in OP's list of races but that could potentially be a huge mana saver for solo clerics. I solo'd to 53 on my cleric just root/nuking when melee fell off in the 20s
Last edited by Crede; 08-09-2022 at 12:57 PM..
Old 08-09-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Search back further in the priest threads.

On your break there were some multiple like ~100 page threads when DSM released his shaman guide saying ogres were the best.

This has been heavily discussed, lol.
I’m guessing DSM/Loramin made up 95% of those posts?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 08-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I’m guessing DSM/Loramin made up 95% of those posts?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can read the guide in my Sig. The math is clear as to which race is best, and I have videos showing how you don't really need Snare neck for anything, which is why it isn't much of an advantage to Trolls. Not really on topic for OP though.

Quote:

If you are just trying to prevent mobs from running you wouldn't DD them right afterwards, so that isn't really a concern. Not saying you can't use the neck for the purposes described, but it isn't providing any new utility you don't already have. You just prefer to use it for that purpose. That's perfectly fine, but it isn't something that will make a difference to a Shaman who doesn't have one. The snare simply doesn't last long enough to be useful in any serious scenario. It's OK for fear kiting easy stuff like guards.

Can you actually cite the camps where snare neck is needed? I can test them out to see if snare is ever actually necessary.

I never said it wasn't cool[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I like the snare neck. It simply isn't necessary for anything, so it's OK not to have it. You aren't changing your gameplay.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Any camp at any level where a runaway runner can spell disaster for the group. I’m sure if you try hard enough you can think of a few.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Any camp at any level where a runaway runner can spell disaster for the group. I’m sure if you try hard enough you can think of a few.
Every camp that I have been to can handle this via root just fine. Unless you can be more specific, there is no camp where snare is the only viable or effective method to stop runners.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Planar Protector

Nobody, anywhere, ever said it is only way.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Nobody, anywhere, ever said it is only way.
Which means it isn't necessary, and I haven't even seen a camp where it was better or preferable over root. It's a nice to have item, but it isn't needed. That's simply my point. Not saying you can't use it, or have fun using it. But that doesn't make it good, or game changing.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2022 at 03:22 PM..