Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Aviak

Default Why people don't list prices when selling?

Anyone else find it annoying when people don't list prices when selling stuff in EC?

I can understand on some high dollar items that will probably get haggled or whatever, but why force the extra unnecessary step of "/tell how much do you want for that?"

I know I've passed over items simply because no price was listed. Things that might be cool to have for an alt or something, but didn't really need. To me, not listing a price just makes it less likely you'll sell the item.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Sarnak

Avoids unnecessary (and excessive) undercutting battles, maybe? If someone is selling an item for 3k, and you're willing to sell for 2.8k, let the customer find out when they ask you and the other guy won't go to 2.799.

Funnily enough though, whenever I do this I find I get the most inquiries from people who are also selling the same item, so they can undercut anyway. I still prefer it though.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think I've ever really seen much undercutting in the EC tunnel. But I don't really care either way since the price people advertise is almost never what they are willing to sell it for anyways. You should know before hand what the cost of an item is and send in a lowball offer regardless of whether or not they listed a price or not.

And in case anyone doesn't already know about it: http://www.p99auctions.com/ is an amazing resource.
Last edited by jolanar; 07-31-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

I don't ordinarily list prices because I'll typically accept anything in the general vicinity of a given item's normal value. If I take a slight hit to get out of EC sooner, I consider that a good trade. If I do happen to list a price in an /auc, however, that price is firm and I decline or outright ignore any lowball offers.

Danth
Old 07-31-2016, 07:28 PM
Planar Protector

Most people are probably just too lazy to look up a price they're good with until after someone expressed interest.

Also a lot of people are miserable little dudes who have more fun trying to squeeze another 100pp out of an item than they do getting the fuck out of ec sooner so they can go actually play the game.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:38 PM
Fire Giant

To some of us tunneling is playing the game
Old 07-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Kobold

The same reason some websites don't have prices for things until you go to checkout. It's a marketing tactic (that works).
Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 PM
Sarnak

I don't list prices because regardless if I'm selling the item cheap, everyone always offers lower than what I'm selling it for. By leaving the price off the auction it gives you more room for negotiation. If I list a price that is too high knowing everyone will low-ball my offer it will scare off a lot of potential buyers. If I list it a the price I want to sell it for I will likely be selling it for less as everyone wants to get a deal. Just remember, eventually someone will be willing to sell at what your willing to pay.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunababy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The same reason some websites don't have prices for things until you go to checkout. It's a marketing tactic (that works).
In my case at least, it's the opposite, at least for cheap lower end items.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Aviak

Well here's my thought process on it.... Interesting how everyone has a different take on it.

Let's say I'm a chanter, or have a chanter alt with available funds 3k. I'm passing through EC. Someone auctions a loam sash. No price listed.

Unless i'm familiar with a loam sash and it's normal price already, at the very least I now have to send a tell asking how much it costs. I have no idea up front if it's something way out of my price range. If I do know what the sash goes for normally, I don't know if the guy is selling cheap to get rid of it, selling for normal price, or selling it a bit high to make a little extra money.

Especially for people like me who hate spending time in EC, unless it's an item I know before hand I'm really interested in, having no price listed greatly reduces the chance of me purchasing.

Putting that price:

-Tells people who aren't familiar with the item the price range. Sometimes it's hard to tell a 100p item from a 1000p item if you aren't familiar with it. A noob with 1,000p to his name will not have to ask you how much, or check a website site that way. He knows instantly it's out of his league.

-For those who do know the going rate, it signals your intentions. Selling low to get rid of it fast? Want the average rate? Don't want to sell it so bad and want to make a little extra money? Yes there's always haggling, some people will go down in price, others not etc, but at least it's saying, at least to me, "this is what I'd reasonably like for my item".

I rarely sell anything -- pack rat with tons of alts who doesn't enjoy EC trading. But when i do, I check p99auctions to get a feel for prices. Decide how badly I want to sell the thing. If it's an item in high demand and I don't care if I sell it fast, maybe price it above market. If I want to get rid of it quicker, price it low. Otherwise just set it at the average. Offers a little lower than /auctioned price are usually accepted.
Closed Thread