Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 11:58 PM
Banned

Druids, because on all levels except physical you are a wolf!

barks
Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Slow is one of the most overpowered spells in the game.

Enchanter can't heal.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:36 AM
Banned

shaman
everything is balls awesome with shaman
Old 08-01-2020, 05:27 AM
Sarnak

shaman slow and heals does make it great from min/max survivability perspective, but the dps will be lacking compared to enc. im wondering if a rogue and paladin would gel enough to be able to duo beyond lets say lvl40...
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make a Druid (if you don't already have one) if you think your buddy is likely to quit before reaching the highest levels. It's a perfectly adequate duo partner through mid levels and once said buddy quits that'll leave you with a useful utility character. Cleric is second place for this purpose in the event you already have a Druid and don't have a Cleric. Cleric/Paladin doesn't set any speeds records but it forms a nice basis for building larger groups if you like doing that. Either of these duos starts to weaken noticeably past about 50 or so once slow starts becoming much more important.

Enchanter or Shaman will give you the most power if you expect to stick it out long enough to do tougher stuff at level 60. Enchanter is cheaper to equip although the duo with the Shaman will feel better at middle levels due to the Paladin not gaining some of its most important spells until rather late.

Most any other duo can be made to work at varying levels of effectiveness if you really want to play some specific class.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Zipity: Often true, certainly true with a Paladin, but on my Shadow Knight I never found a means of effectively duo'ing with an Enchanter, at least not where both of us wouldn't have rather had a different class as a partner. Those two classes don't have much synergy.

Danth
Charm rogue pet and fear kite with mana buff, enchanter can provide the fears and beserker str so you take no dmg on the pulls. Adds can just be mezzed.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charm rogue pet and fear kite with mana buff, enchanter can provide the fears and beserker str so you take no dmg on the pulls. Adds can just be mezzed.
It's an interesting thought exercise; I've thought about it a fair amount. The rare occasions I've been duo with an enchanter on my shadow knight were mostly in velketor/broodmaster area so needless to say we didn't fear stuff. That being said if fear-kiting is the primary goal I don't see why the enchanter wouldn't prefer a necromancer instead. For my own part I regard the shaman as a much preferable partner. Anything can be made to work to some extent but some classes go together about as well as the proverbial square peg and round hole.

Speaking of velketor's: a couple buddies I knew, one had an enchanter and another had both a cleric and a paladin. They preferred the pal/ench pair for doing velk's over the cler/ench pair. The Paladin made charm breaks less dangerous and between slow and clarity could self-heal while tanking and hence losing complete heal on pets didn't matter overmuch. Though insofar as I recall that specific zone was the only place they liked using the paladin more than the cleric in their duo.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make a Druid (if you don't already have one) if you think your buddy is likely to quit before reaching the highest levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It sounds like your friend will never make it there, so I'd pick a class that is strong 1-20 without a lot of gear, and that set includes neither Shaman nor Enchanter. I think in your situation I'd go Druid.
Great minds think alike, eh?

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 08-01-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth
Great minds think alike, eh?
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth
Anything can be made to work to some extent but some classes go together about as well as the proverbial square peg and round hole.
I wonder if the locked progression on these servers derails what would normally be simple social decisions. On Live, individual pixels would be relatively rapidly replaced by new expansions, which would also constantly break, err change class balance. And with AAs more XP was always useful. On P99, if I go to say farm, say, the Puppet camp I'm going to get 50% more loot in a duo than a trio. XP is worthless so there is no meaning in killing anything other than the puppets, the blue flower lasts forever, and the rules are fixed so once I find the optimum strategy and necessary classes I can just roll with it for months. It feels like on Live the edge would go to the people who just make friends with good players rather than sperging out over min/max strategy. Of course I say this as someone who has mostly done the latter and found it interesting.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Fire Giant

Buffing up a charmed mob and letting it chainsaw mobs while CHing is just about as fast of kills as letting two mobs kill each other and getting the exp for both. And ironically, the latter is safer, since if you buff a charmed mob to the point where it does as much dmg as two mobs beating on each other, it can do the same to you. The only advantage to #1 is that it is brain dead easy to pull off when everything goes right. Paladins can't do #1 but they do a better job at assisting #2 since they can melee the last 5% HP, as opposed to nuking which is expensive for the enchanter or a cleric. The paladin can heal an enchanter about as well as a cleric can since CH is useless, and they have emergency agro and tanking tools as well.

Played an enc to 60 and a paladin to mid 40s on blue, I can't think of a better duo choice for paladin than enchanter. The enchanter might have better choices for a duo partner but paladin is still top 3.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im wondering if a rogue and paladin would gel enough to be able to duo beyond lets say lvl40...
Paladin and Rogue would be a solid duo for a couple of friends who aren't trying to do anything super serious: the Paladin can tank and has downtime heals, along with Root and Lull for breaking camps and some crowd control, while the Rogue does DPS and can safely fetch corpses if something goes wrong, heh.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 AM
Fire Giant

Shaman

Especially at end-game with Torpor

While they benefit far more with a Monk / Warrior, or Rogue with shaman Tanking (higher dps). Basically any Melee + Torpor shaman can get a lot done

Even before Torpor Shaman + Monk or Tank is just very good
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Closed Thread