Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AC gets worse the higher level you are. From 1-30 you can go all AC and do very well. 50+ it is all about HP. It can even increase your dps by allowing you to stay Berserk longer.

Capping Stamina and getting the best Haste possible are the first things to worry about. After that HP is king.
I don't know. From what I understand, AC is always beneficial, especially without cleric heals. Do you have any material to support the assertion that AC becomes relatively unimportant at higher levels compared to health?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 AM
Planar Protector

Double post sorry
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 11-16-2017 at 03:48 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

AC is important. Thankfully in this era, making the smart gear choice is rarely difficult. Good gear generally has both solid AC and meaningful stats/hp.

For the OP: You have nothing to worry about. You’re actually over geared for the content you’ll be facing for the foreseeable future and at level 56-60 could slide right into any high end group or medium tier raid without problems. Several of the pieces you have (thurgadin hat/arms/legs) are items on my next to do list.

Questions:
-do you have a magelo? If not I’d make one. The Ac calculation is buggy and doesn’t reflect Ac shown in game but the rest is pretty accurate.
-what is your unbuffed dex?

Recommendations you can realistically buy without breaking the bank:

-2x silver Chitin wristbands. Decent Ac, good dex, good hp. Can sell later when you upgrade.
-get a wrapped entropy serpent spine until infestation. Lose sarnak hammer.
-get haste off your hands and get real gloves. Eventually you will want 34-41% haste. That’s expensive and will come with time, but even in the short term a sidestep to dragonborn sash is worth it.

NoDrop stuff to consider next:

-infestation
-Kael arena gloves (nodrop war only)
-WW dragon +6 neck
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 11-16-2017 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, what are bracers of battle? The only bracers of battle I've heard of drop in Crushbone, and those are... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, the dragon necklaces mentioned give less AC than my current neck. How do I know when to sacrifice AC for HP and vice versa? If 4 AC makes an enemy hit for 15 damage instead of 150 slightly more often, is AC not the clear winner in most cases?
I'm going to play the dyslexic card on this one, where in truth my WPM exceeds my thoughts per minute [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

I meant BoB = Bracers of Benevolence. Basically every 10 hours an adhoc raid forms up, everyone /random 1000 and the winner gets to hand in their scout tools in WW and then all the attendees team up to kill the spawned mob (the winner of the /ran 1000 also gets to loot the prize).

It's hard to balance the relative worth of AC and HP. In the case of the dragon necks they add a tonne of other stats too. As a tank in the 50s it is nice to have a decent reserve of HP to shrug off ice comets and such (see resists too!).

Also consider, in the 50s the stuff you are fighting for XP might be quite a few levels lower than you. As such you mitigate them decently even with mediocre AC, but they have pretty substantial minimum hits, so medium AC, high HP means you can absorb more minimum hits before requiring your next cheal.

From my own findings, pretty much any 51+ melee with half decent AC (even rangers) will take an average hit of 70 against level 50ish mobs in KC. Adding more AC doesn't really make a significant difference, whereas the hp and/or resists let you deal with bad rounds or avoid slow (ganking your dps/aggro).
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AC is important. Thankfully in this era, making the smart gear choice is rarely difficult. Good gear generally has both solid AC and meaningful stats/hp.

For the OP: You have nothing to worry about. You’re actually over geared for the content you’ll be facing for the foreseeable future and at level 56-60 could slide right into any high end group or medium tier raid without problems. Several of the pieces you have (thurgadin hat/arms/legs) are items on my next to do list.

Questions:
-do you have a magelo? If not I’d make one. The Ac calculation is buggy and doesn’t reflect Ac shown in game but the rest is pretty accurate.
-what is your unbuffed dex?

Recommendations you can realistically buy without breaking the bank:

-2x silver Chitin wristbands. Decent Ac, good dex, good hp. Can sell later when you upgrade.
-get a wrapped entropy serpent spine until infestation. Lose sarnak hammer.
-get haste off your hands and get real gloves. Eventually you will want 34-41% haste. That’s expensive and will come with time, but even in the short term a sidestep to dragonborn sash is worth it.

NoDrop stuff to consider next:

-infestation
-Kael arena gloves (nodrop war only)
-WW dragon +6 neck
I don't have a magelo (Edit: I just made one), and I have 123 dex unbuffed. As for SCWB, I'll definitely look into getting at least one, although an additional 6k for two is a bit pricey for a negligible upgrade from Ice Forged Shackles. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Infestation does seem nice, and so do those gloves and necklace.

WESS is something I've been on the fence about, however. I'll often be the puller in my groups, and I sometimes like to hit targets for a few seconds to build up preliminary aggro before going back to my group -- and this often results in a weapon proc. With WESS, I wouldn't be able to do that. The aggro its proc produces almost feels like overkill, too -- after all, I've had virtually no issues holding aggro throughout a fight with just one proc from either my warhammer or my axe.

Not to mention not being able to move once I do get a proc without risking a fleeing mob... I'll often move to intercept and taunt a mob that suddenly decides to run for the back line in my parties (for instance, if a mob prematurely breaks mez), and doing that with WESS seems exceptionally risky.
Last edited by Soothsayer; 11-16-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Sarnak

I'm curious... there appears to be a great many dragons that drop an identical necklace (Entariz' talisman, Derasinel's talisman, etc). Do people just run around in WW in groups and farm the heck out of all those dragons? How easy would it be to drop into one of those groups and attain a necklace?
Old 11-17-2017, 03:50 AM
Planar Protector

Sometimes people will kill them before/after the scout charisa pop.

They are easy to do if you are buddybuddy with ToV. Pull from the pillars to the valley wall opposite ToV. Save the chealers and gaters till last. Probably don't bother with the Silence ones. Watch out for pathers, especially if you aren't pals with Ring of Scale.

Alternative fight location is at the portal to DN. Not so good if Klandlicar is up.

A single group is more than enough, it's good to have slow and stack heals and resists. These dragons don't fear, but again have precaution for gates, cheals and worst of all silence.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Bribe an end game shammy to solo / duo one and reap rewards
Closed Thread