Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Word. Congrats!

I need to decide IT or nursing very soon cause picking out fall classes. Is a "cybersecurity" degree worth anything or do I want a straight up CS path? Nursing is more my calling, I think, but I do have some serious issues with authority and that job puts in a subordinate position, likely forever. Everyone has to deal with a boss though and I'm willing to suck it up. As far as IT goes... I'd love to be autonomous but logic, math, and non-verbal intelligence aren't my strong points. I'm not weak in them, but I wouldn't be a prodigy. I'm stupid good in verbal.. Need input, halp!
A couple thoughts -

1. CS is in high demand. Very high demand. My husband is a senior software engineer and they can't fill jobs fast enough where he works. It's a problem.

2. For Software, math and logic are indeed key. His company does interview a lot of CS people, but they have an entry "homework question" they want people to solve before they get an interview. You have to solve it and explain your logic behind solving it. They also, during the interview, have a white-board part of the in-person process where they have someone write out their code to a few simple problems. Often times he said a candidate will have a fantastic resume and seem like a great fit/personality.. but then they get to the technical part, and do a hard pass on the guy. I once asked him if maybe it was just nerves or the math was too hard. He said the interview white-board questions involved 5th grade math, so when CS people bomb it it's a huge red flag. It's really just there to test how fast someone can solve it.

3. However, strong verbal skills are very important in government contract work. Often times the tech companies have problems interfacing with potential customers because some (not all) software teams have very introverted people who cannot communicate well. But often, the 'managerial' types that would be good interfacing with customers don't interface well with the software engineers. They don't jive well together because their personal interests don't line up. As a gamer, you'd have an advantage here. I have yet to meet a single software engineer that wasn't a gamer in some sort of way. If you can have both the trust of the software developers, and create the trust between clients and the company -you'd be invaluable. Now, what degree you need to land that sort of position? I unfortunately have no idea.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Banned

civil service tests is probably a better idea for someone with no job experience to land a city/govt job
Old 08-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Banned

I went into CS and that was even my MOS in some ways I excelled at it. However I was never driven or motivated or talented enough mathematically to really master it beyond a basic level. That held me back and contributed to complete burn out in 17 years with no real accomplishments to speak of. No advancement made in the field.

Nursing is brutally hard and I feel you need a better option just from cursory intuition.

You don't need a CS degree to build your own game or design your own website. I would only take the CS degree if you want to create hardware. Or build the engines that drive various aspects of software development. Interim you can get certification and go be a DB admin or something.
>
I struggle with this too because for me it's Everquest>cooking>exercise>cleaning>gardening. I'm an OCD freak so cleaning is compulsory.

All the other stuff I am talented at (makeup, hair, conversation, exercise) don't translate well because I can't stand people in close proximity on a continual and daily basis. Otherwise I'd run an LGBTQIAN+ salon, spa, gym, and healing center + makeup boutique add on.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Didn't know about that test. Is that like the ASVAB? Could be helpful, but I know I've tested to have a extreme affinity for "helping" and "thinking" careers in the past. Those two fields I mentioned seem like the most pragmatic and relevant to those categories I can go with. I really enjoy writing as well, but an English degree seems like financial seppuku. Comedy writing would be my absolute dream job, but don't think I'm consistently funny enough. I'd love to teach, and I'd do it well, but I hate the school system too much.

I think I going with my original gut instinct for psych nursing is making the most sense atm. It's a outlet for my need to help people. Money is not my end game. I want a few elective procedures and I have almost no desire for anything else. After that I just wanna spend my life helping to unfuck what life does to people.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Didn't know about that test. Is that like the ASVAB? Could be helpful, but I know I've tested to have a extreme affinity for "helping" and "thinking" careers in the past. Those two fields I mentioned seem like the most pragmatic and relevant to those categories I can go with. I really enjoy writing as well, but an English degree seems like financial seppuku. Comedy writing would be my absolute dream job, but don't think I'm consistently funny enough. I'd love to teach, and I'd do it well, but I hate the school system too much.

I think I going with my original gut instinct for psych nursing is making the most sense atm. It's a outlet for my need to help people. Money is not my end game. I want a few elective procedures and I have almost no desire for anything else. After that I just wanna spend my life helping to unfuck what life does to people.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.
is teaching english internationally still a thing? i think you have a degree and that's all it used to require. gets around the rude american student issue.

chime in here if you know better folks.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Banned

The nurses I knew all got something from being able to help people and touch lives in a positive way. My mom treated a lot of critically ill patients and she's proud of what she did looking back. That helped sustain her despite the profession being incredibly hard.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is teaching english internationally still a thing? i think you have a degree and that's all it used to require. gets around the rude american student issue.

chime in here if you know better folks.
Teaching in South Korea or some other non eurocountry isn't viable for out LGBT. It's even hard in places with good support and laws like UK or Germany.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah that's why I want to do it. A nurse helped me out of a dark place once and I've always wanted to do that for others since.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Teaching in South Korea or some other non eurocountry isn't viable for out LGBT. It's even hard in places with good support and laws like UK or Germany.
Yeaaaaa. Fuck being the trans ambassador of the US.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that's why I want to do it. A nurse helped me out of a dark place once and I've always wanted to do that for others since.
Quote:
Yeaaaaa. Fuck being the trans ambassador of the US.
+1 (sorry the replies are messed up)
Closed Thread