Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM
Sarnak

Default Thinking of rerolling to warrior

So I started off as an sk got to 52 and feel like I don’t really contribute to raids. I rerolled to ranger thinking that I might offer some DPS and be able to tank some group content. Once again at 49 I am feeling like I don’t offer much and I hear later on I’ll do less damage than a warrior. I like tanking but don’t have the kind of gime to devote to be a guild main tank. I was thinking if I can at least provide acceptable DPS when not tanking and still be capable of tanking in a group that I might enjoy the warrior. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Any help or suggestions? I made an iksar warrior and was having a fun time and am almost 32 now but I’m at the point the game slows down considerably and want to think ahead. My goal is to get to 55 on one character soon so I can join my guild on post Naggy Vox content.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:25 AM
Planar Protector

I think you think too much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you still enjoy the warrior, just keep playing and enjoy the ride. As your level increases your experience will change and you can evaluate what you personally think about the class as time goes on.

Personally I view warrior as the shaman of melee classes. To get the most out of it, you have to get to high level where you can enjoy the powerful disciplines available.

Also, you need to plop down some serious plats on all the clickies and special weapons that are at your disposal, so gearing can be very expensive.

If you invest the time and resources into the warrior, it seems they can be very rewarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Warriors are one of the key raiding classes, but you might not be welcomed as a tank until you hit 60.

To do the best DPS you need to be berserk and use the precision disc, but this is not going to happen if you are on the tank list. Even if you dodge the tank list you may not be able to berserk due to AoE damage.

I disagree that you need to put too much resources in to a warrior. Trochillic's Skean is generally free, and is a decent aggro weapon. For primary try get your SK or Ranger on board with some WW dragon hunting (such as talisman farming) in order to quest a Frostbringer. Frostbringer/skean will take you to 60 easily.

For other gear, crafted armour (as in the stuff quested in South Karana) is easy to obtain, and I wore it well into my 50s with no complaints. Once in the 50s try to get groups going in Velks and you'll slowly acquire Crystal Chitin, which is decent enough. You'll also come into Cobalt armour levelling in Karnor's Castle and Old Seb too.

For haste, warriors get a decent entry level haste from Plane of Sky (Belt of Concordance), which is basically rot tier.

Before you are planar enabled, hang out with your sk or ranger in Velks. Often level 60s will be farming items, and won't mind you hanging out with them to absorb the xp they don't need. The SCHW that drop there are lore, so you may be able to get the loot rights to them cheaply on site, or even free on rot!

When I was soloing my ranger on frenzied broodling I was suprised by how many pairs of schw I ended up giving away.

Good luck on your quest, my first toon was a SK too, only got him to level 51. I then switched to warrior, then ranger and now play my warrior again.

Both warrior and ranger are fun raid toons [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Banned

Play anything but Monk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I view warrior as the shaman of melee classes. To get the most out of it, you have to get to high level where you can enjoy the powerful disciplines available.
Pretty much this.

There is a certain appeal to being a raid geared SK/Pally though. Fancy as hell and not too much competition on a lot of nice raid drops.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:19 AM
Sarnak

I am not having trouble gearing. I just feel that the sk and ranger only really contribute bad DPS to the raid environment. As a warrior I hope I will do a bit more when not tanking and if I'm at it long enough I might actually get to tank if the regular tanks cant make it for some reason.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 AM
Planar Protector

Historically, most of the P1999 raid guilds tend not to think much of the hybrid classes. If you want to be a key raid player the Warrior should give better service in a majority of guilds.

That being said, a 52 Shadow Knight isn't going to contribute to most raids simply because it's level 52. At 60 SKs and Rangers both give fair service for the jobs they're meant to do. Nobody's going to particularly want a low/mid 50's Warrior either so if you want to play a tank type, you had best be prepared to dedicate to it sufficiently to make it to 60.

Danth
Old 01-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Planar Protector

Although I applaud your decision to level a superior racial character, I want to ask you if you have ever thought in depth about the higher level play of a shadow knight.

True, during raids in the cookie-cutter environment you will likely be overlooked in your tanking ability, in your damage output, and all raids default to a monk for pulls. But I have seen some incredible play by shadowknights, and their kit allows them to be even more resilient pullers than monks.

Shadow Knights have more to their kit than hunks of hp, spells, and ridiculous ratio weapons. A level 60 SK has access to THREE feign death cooldowns (non iksar), plus free instant invisibility. Self runes and better sta:hp ratio means they can take more hits on incoming than a monk also. Sk also have access to a lot of easily accessible resist gear than a monk meaning they have a better chance at resisting casts by incoming mobs.

IMO you haven't peaked yet. Get 60, get your clickies, maybe an epic and think about the ways you can be a logistical help to raids also before tossing all those levels out the window.

But if you do, Iksar is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post

If you have proof of a staff member violating policies, you report it in a Forum PM to me [Rogean] or Nilbog.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Sarnak

I guess where I am at right now, is that when I show up at a raid, I generally feel I would be contributing more with the superior melee skill caps of a warrior even of not tanking they seem to do more damage than both ranger and Sk and I haven't really found a niche for the Ranger or SK yet. Monks do all the pulling, and I just don't enjoy the feel of a rogue. Is there something I can bring to the table that would give more to the group chance of success than a warrior walking up to the mob and pressing auto attack with the correct discipline choice?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Banned

Bard or Cleric perhaps
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Banned

Its way more important to play something you have fun with than what is 'raid optimal'.

Warriors are one of the most boring possible classes you could choose (IMO)

You turn on auto attack and.... well not much else
Closed Thread