Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomish Elite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, a lot of love for enchanters. I'll be honest I'd considered/favored them the least of all the casters up until this point mainly because I'd heard they were very complicated to play.

I'll do some more homework on what they have to offer spell/role wise.

Very helpful feedback. Thanks all!
Enchanters are not complicated to play, just complicated to play well.

A barebones noob enchanter is only expected to CC and that's IT from 1-30 ish. Usually in groups, you will always have a Shaman so you don't need to worry about slows and sometimes haste up until your 40's. Once you start breaking into 40's territory its generally expected you charm and juggle CC with other things. but I have found the high level of play and skilled player on p99, a group will feel you out and ask if you are comfortable within your reasons. There's usually a monk that will love to tag with you for the haste bonus so you have 2 scenarios in a static mid tier group:

1.) A monk will split pull for the group so things are safe, but slow. Always have AoE mesmerization up just for the oh crap moment.

or

2.) You are impatient with the monk and ask for them to pull a train. Just kidding but you will see many different types of static groups and especially in 2016, a lot of twinked out chars with fungi's and stuff that can handle a few extra adds. root is also a CC

The proving grounds for an enchanter is grouping from 5-16 when you get almost all of your spell lines and get a taste for breeze. That usually weeds them out [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-26-2016, 03:11 PM
Orc

First off, thanks to everybody for being so helpful. It's awesome for a new guy to get this much positive feedback from a community right off the bat. Very cool!

Second, based on everything I'm reading, I'd say mage & necro are most suited to my play style (although I will be reading up more on the enchanter since everybody seems to favor it). I'm a fan of the pet classes. I have a few questions about both:

Mage:
I remember solo being pretty easy with a mage. At what level roughly will groups become a must? I'm not all about solo but it would be nice to be able to if I am only on for a short bit or something.

How passive are mages? I seem to remember a lot of send your DS'd pet in, throw a nuke or two here or there and sit/med. That the case in P99?

Necro:
How big of a deal is bad faction? I seem to remember it being a pain in the ass being evil because I always liked to travel a lot. If it's just a matter of learning the best ways to get around as an evil toon, I'm good with that. If it's more than that I'd like to know up front.

I keep hearing be an Iksar or don't bother with a necro. Is this really that big of an advantage? I really don't like the look of the Iksar, don't want to be hated absolutely everywhere (although hated in most spots may not be a huge issue depending on the answer to my above question), and just won't enjoy the experience.

Also what are the raid roles for both? From what I gather Mage is a call of the hero bot/dps, and necro is a mana battery. Sound right?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomish Elite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep hearing be an Iksar or don't bother with a necro. Is this really that big of an advantage? I really don't like the look of the Iksar, don't want to be hated absolutely everywhere (although hated in most spots may not be a huge issue depending on the answer to my above question), and just won't enjoy the experience.
Ripped straight from Sesserdrix's guide:

Iksar is the ideal min-max race for a necromancer. Iksars have the ability to forage, they have additional AC, but most importantly, they have regeneration. Regeneration as a bonus to a necromancer is difficult to compare to any other racial. It is something that creeps up on you as a necromancer, as you don't really notice it until you're 49+. What is so good about regeneration is that it curbs off your HP loss from your lich spells. These spells reduce your HP and give you a lot of Mana. To curb the HP loss, you use lifetaps to get your health back. But using lifetaps is very low damage for the high mana it costs, resulting in low efficiency. This means that having regeneration allows you to use less mana on lifetaps, and more mana on efficient damage, which results in you killing more enemies in the same amount of time.

Iksars get an experience penalty, but in return for that penalty, you get a power that no other necromancer has, or ever can rival with gear, that makes you kill more stuff. I cannot stress to you enough how big a deal being an Iksar is, and how irreplaceable the regeneration trait is. I played Uteunayr up to level 60 as a Dark Elf, and rolled a second necromancer, Sesserdrix, just because of regeneration. I urge you that if you care about producing the best output you can, that you should go Iksar.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ripped straight from Sesserdrix's guide:

Iksar is the ideal min-max race for a necromancer. Iksars have the ability to forage, they have additional AC, but most importantly, they have regeneration. Regeneration as a bonus to a necromancer is difficult to compare to any other racial. It is something that creeps up on you as a necromancer, as you don't really notice it until you're 49+. What is so good about regeneration is that it curbs off your HP loss from your lich spells. These spells reduce your HP and give you a lot of Mana. To curb the HP loss, you use lifetaps to get your health back. But using lifetaps is very low damage for the high mana it costs, resulting in low efficiency. This means that having regeneration allows you to use less mana on lifetaps, and more mana on efficient damage, which results in you killing more enemies in the same amount of time.

Iksars get an experience penalty, but in return for that penalty, you get a power that no other necromancer has, or ever can rival with gear, that makes you kill more stuff. I cannot stress to you enough how big a deal being an Iksar is, and how irreplaceable the regeneration trait is. I played Uteunayr up to level 60 as a Dark Elf, and rolled a second necromancer, Sesserdrix, just because of regeneration. I urge you that if you care about producing the best output you can, that you should go Iksar.
Wow, sounds game-breakingly better. I guess mage it is haha.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
First off, thanks to everybody for being so helpful. It's awesome for a new guy to get this much positive feedback from a community right off the bat. Very cool!

Second, based on everything I'm reading, I'd say mage & necro are most suited to my play style (although I will be reading up more on the enchanter since everybody seems to favor it). I'm a fan of the pet classes. I have a few questions about both:

Mage:
I remember solo being pretty easy with a mage. At what level roughly will groups become a must? I'm not all about solo but it would be nice to be able to if I am only on for a short bit or something.

How passive are mages? I seem to remember a lot of send your DS'd pet in, throw a nuke or two here or there and sit/med. That the case in P99?

Necro:
How big of a deal is bad faction? I seem to remember it being a pain in the ass being evil because I always liked to travel a lot. If it's just a matter of learning the best ways to get around as an evil toon, I'm good with that. If it's more than that I'd like to know up front.

Also what are the raid roles for both? From what I gather Mage is a call of the hero bot/dps, and necro is a mana battery. Sound right?
yes about necros in high end raids

in addition to CotH mages are also mod rod mules too. they really dont dps in raids since mod rods are so important for clerics / healers to keep their mana pool up. + high level raid targets may have a very high resist to fire spells.

Pets can be problematic in high end raids (the ones that have aoe dmg spells) because if they get low hp the raid target will turn around to kill it and that means it wont be facing the tank (which can lead to other issues).

don't put so much care behind being liked in enemy towns because that means you have another location you can xp off of guards later on >=).
From my experience evil erudites and humans can travel to more cities than dark elves or Iksar. My erudite SK can safely travel through Rivervale, most of Qeynos, all of Freeport, some of neriak, some of erudin, i have tried the elf or dwarf towns. i dont know about evil gnomes
Old 05-26-2016, 04:48 PM
Planar Protector

If I recall right at level 60 with the best lich spell at that level iksars only take half the damage of other races..

I've never gotten out a calculator to add up the difference between them as it relates to mana battery efficiency. But it doesn't take a genius to realize 30 damage a tick versus 15 is massive.

Half the necros in the uber guild I was in back in the day actually quit the game when kunark came out, the other half rerolled or just stopped playing the class(most rolled rogus which needed more of anyway -- thanks kunark!). Non icky monks bitched a bit but didn't seem to quit or switch as readily as necros.

As a necro,(iksar or otherwise) being hated isn't that big of a deal thanks to invisibility, feign death, harm shield, and skeleton illusion.
Last edited by DMN; 05-26-2016 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Kobold

Really depends on your play style. Me personally knowing no one when I came to this server, I made a wizard as my main(I was a mage on live also).

A. I don't need to rely on groups, I can afk when I want to.
B. I can get around a lot easier.
C. I can make a few plat selling ports here and there.
D. I would just quad kite till mana gone, then afk 10min or whatever and get stuff done around house. Where as other classes you would be at it with no down time.

If you're thinking long run and raids....every one of those classes are needed and of use. Sure there is more demand for certain vs others, but I promise you there won't be a guild saying, sorry don't need your class at this time. Downfall with wizard tho is odds are you won't get (pug)groups unless have some friends higher end as most other classes are more useful in groups. Knowing that I came to this server with intent of raiding high end also and didn't play that in a factor in my decision.
Last edited by Matalus; 05-26-2016 at 07:44 PM..
Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Kobold

nt
Old 05-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Orc

Read this http://wiki.project1999.com/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide
And you will want to be an enchanter. I've played mine naked with no problem, but gear does make it easier.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Wow, sounds game-breakingly better. I guess mage it is haha.
What that regen graph doesn't show is all downtime incurred by being kos in the entire old world. Every town is like vendoring/banking in a dungeon and even necro guilds will kos you.

Never mind that both lifetap lines and the heat dots are the most reliable spells a necro has in terms of resists. Snare and fear are double save. Poison and disease dots have a DD compenent that any shaman can tell you cause a ton of resists.

So if you're tapping less often you'll be casting the above spells instead and there are no partial resists on any of them. In my experience its more efficient to use spells that land 100% of time as part of your rotation.