Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Aviak

Cleric please, we need more than 1-2 for a server of 400-500 that are non-/anon tagged that actually can give you the time of the day for a rez for 250pp
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taminy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FBSS + yakx2 isn't needed for duoing.

FBSS + decent weapon(s) even fairly cheap ones would work fine for duoing, or a mith2h. Still expensive though of course.
Thanks for clarifying my point....
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Kobold

Send a message via ICQ to vageta31 Send a message via AIM to vageta31 Send a message via Yahoo to vageta31

No one can heal as good as a cleric. Period. If you're talking end game usefullness in old school EQ then cleric wins hands down. However if you're talking duo ability then Cleric's aren't the best choice. They can lull which makes it easier to break some camps but have zero utility really.

If you want the best partner to a melee class strictly in a duo sense then you can't go wrong with Shaman. Shaman's can slow the mob up to 70% which reduces the need for a complete heal altogether. Shaman's excel at increasing the output of their melee partner by being able to debuff a mob, haste the melee, buff strength for more damage, dex buff for more proc's and have decent HP/AC buffs as to top it off. Not to mention they have utility like sow, shrink, regen, resist buffs for all 5 resists, etc...

With a Cleric/Warrior it comes down to... Warrior engages mob. When down to low health Cleric casts CH. If you get adds root for crowd control and hope it doesn't break before your next CH is off.

With Shaman/Warrior it goes like this... Warrior engages mob, Shaman sends in hasted pet. After aggro is established(if warrior has proc weapon then he will be hasted and dex buffed by shaman) Shaman casts slow. Heal as necessary and if mob needs to die quickly then Shaman can cast a DoT as well. If you get adds Shaman can off tank pretty well, at least long enough to root park, slow and heal if need be. My shaman got to 50 by tanking specs right up in their face, no kiting or root parking necessary.

Basically a Shaman/Melee will burn through mobs much easier and safer due to the utility and extra DPS from pet. Cleric/Melee is a great combo, just not as efficient. Assuming the mob can be slowed then most encounters become trivial as long as the shaman doesn't run out of mana. Once you get into planes and boss mobs then even with slow the Shaman won't be able to keep up with heals, but based on your post I doubt this is something you're worried about.

At lower levels you can aggro kite with the Shaman and let the melee run behind and get free DPS without even getting hit. Slow, malise, dots, etc.. cause massive aggro so if his pet and the melee don't taunt it isn't hard to keep the mob's attention. If outside you can easily run around after pissing off the mob and let dog and melee get free damage. Very mana efficient way to kill mobs much higher than you if you're willing to put out the effort.

Then there's Kunark... Shaman's really become strong in Kunark and even better in Velious.. Shaman/Monk is unreal. Clerics are always needed and rezzes are like gold. But if you want to duo with your buddy most of the game then you can't go wrong with a Shaman. Oh and go Ogre or go home. No frontal stun > all. Period.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

zero utility? hmm .. root, stun, memwipe, undead DDs, hp / ac buffs, lull ...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Hmm, Shaman and Warrior sound pretty amazing lol. Im wondering though, whats the xp diff between grouping with a full group of people in an instances or somethin, compared to duoing with another player? Ive always assumed that being in a full group in an instance grinding would be the fastest way to level, thats why I figured Cleric. Cause I was assumeing I will always be wanted in groups, and I could easily start my own group with my warrior friend.

But if leveling duo is just as fast / or faster, then Shaman starts to sound a little more appealing.

edit: Also, you say Ogre Shaman is the best but... I heard the boats and stuff like that are bugged on this server or something? Where traveling as an evil race is near impossible because guards everywhere kill you? Like I said Ive never really played EQ so I dont know from experience, thats just what Ive heard.
Last edited by VincentVolaju; 02-16-2010 at 01:48 AM..
Old 02-16-2010, 02:06 AM
Kobold

Go with a barbarian shaman
Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Large Rat

The thing that Clerics get that Druids & Shamans don't is complete heal, but until that point Clerics get their heals one spell level earlier. For example, from 9-13 a Shaman will heal just as well as a cleric.

Shaman would probably be the best combo with slow, canni, pet(at 34), compared to druids who have damage shield and teleporting.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Go with a barbarian shaman
Barbarian Shamans are the best race/class evar!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVolaju [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hmm, Shaman and Warrior sound pretty amazing lol. Im wondering though, whats the xp diff between grouping with a full group of people in an instances or somethin, compared to duoing with another player? Ive always assumed that being in a full group in an instance grinding would be the fastest way to level, thats why I figured Cleric. Cause I was assumeing I will always be wanted in groups, and I could easily start my own group with my warrior friend.

But if leveling duo is just as fast / or faster, then Shaman starts to sound a little more appealing.
First there are no instances. There are dungeons, but they aren't instanced.

How fast a shaman/warrior duo levels compared to a few group has a few factors:

In particular, it will make a huge difference in the duo (not quite as much in a full group) if both characters are well geared. Especially the warrior.

Also it will depend on where you hunt. Sometimes a full group will be able to hunt in a particular dungeon that has a huge ZEM (zone experience modifier) that the duo may not be able to hunt in - or may have to wait a few extra levels before they can hunt there.

On the other hand, the downside to grouping is that you need to actually find people to group (and wait for them to meet you, etc) and that they aren't going to get you killed. Usually what you can do if you want to group is start duoing, and then just "LFG" until you find people to group with. Or go back to duoing if the group breaks apart.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

"The thing that Clerics get that Druids & Shamans don't is complete heal"

Superior Heal too, actually; Druids and Shamans don't get Superior heal until 50+.

---------------------------------------------------

"Cleric please, we need more than 1-2 for a server of 400-500 that are non-/anon tagged that actually can give you the time of the day for a rez for 250pp"

My wife read that and laughed to herself. There might be a larger number of 'non anon' Clerics on the server if a massive proportion of the server wasn't constantly begging the Clerics not only for rezzes, but to do all the footwork and even look for their bodies because apparently people are lazy and have over-inflated senses of entitlement.

In short, this is EQ and you shouldn't *expect* a rez, certainly not until you're 40+. If you get one, great! If not, suck up the exp loss and keep on truckin'.

-----------------------------------------------

As for the choice between Cleric and Shaman: I see sufficient numbers of both classes online (Clerics aren't nearly so rare here as they were on Live). Shamans are arguably superior if you intend to primarily solo or duo. Both classes shine in a group setting. Clerics in particular often form the backbone of their groups. Clerics posses much more raw healing power, and get their heals sooner, while Shamans offer greater combat utility. They play differently enough that my advice is to pick the one you like better.

Danth
Closed Thread