Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Kobold

Yeah when i started eq on live kunark had just dropped and i made a iksar it was "SpOOoKY" feel vibe to it i eventually rerolled a wood elf war but it has that mysterious fun feel to it. It will spike more for kunark than velious then see a pretty big drop after velly has been out a few months.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Kobold

Keith Parkinson also did a lot of art for TSR, which was the original company Dungeons and Dragons was owned by before going under and being bought by Wizards of the Coast right before Everquest started up.

He had some of his last art in Vangaurd: Saga of Heroes, the now defunct MMORPG that was the original 'spiritual successor' of EQ....

I'm pumped for Kunark, should help spread the community out a lot and get some people back around.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keith Parkinson also did a lot of art for TSR, which was the original company Dungeons and Dragons was owned by before going under and being bought by Wizards of the Coast right before Everquest started up.

He had some of his last art in Vangaurd: Saga of Heroes, the now defunct MMORPG that was the original 'spiritual successor' of EQ....
Yep, another was the Wizards and Warriors game.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

the original piece reminds me of Power Slave.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsham [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
firiona vie pic suggest he was completely deprived of female contact and career virgin, his art skills are pretty good for the rest of the stuff tho
He was married, dipshit
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After revisiting old world and having experienced all classic phases, I've come to the conclusion that kunark is the golden era of everquest.
Absolutely. Kunark feels exactly like what it's supposed to be: a lost continent for the player to discover and explore. Its zones are huge and mysterious, filled with ancient ruins and secret tunnels. The abundance of undead dungeons really serves to reinforce the idea that this is an ancient land, with a rich and detailed history for the player to gradually uncover through quests and lore. Kunark feels very alien compared to the classic zones, but not in a bad way (i.e. Luclin). Whereas classic is focused on a high fantasy vibe (think Lord of the Rings), Kunark introduces more of a low fantasy vibe (Conan the Barbarian). Kunark very much has a frontier feel. With the exception of the Iksar themselves, one is far from civilization here, relying entirely on literal outposts to function as cities. Everything else is either dangerous dungeons hidden underground or huge open zones teeming with mobs.

The only bad things about Kunark is that melee weapons are a little overtuned (although this is less of an issue if the original timeline is followed as opposed to multiple years of stagnation Kunark like Blue had) and that the Iksar race should have had some kind of drawback to balance it out, particularly for Monks and Necros (I would have liked to see Iksars stat capped at 200, for example).

But yeah, overall Kunark was absolutely the pinnacle of EQ. Every expansion that followed lost the purity of simply being made as an exciting virtual world to adventure in, and design began to be centered around building loot and raid treadmills instead.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
dang dude loved big ole tittays
Lmao
Old 03-13-2020, 10:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Absolutely. Kunark feels exactly like what it's supposed to be: a lost continent for the player to discover and explore. Its zones are huge and mysterious, filled with ancient ruins and secret tunnels. The abundance of undead dungeons really serves to reinforce the idea that this is an ancient land, with a rich and detailed history for the player to gradually uncover through quests and lore. Kunark feels very alien compared to the classic zones, but not in a bad way (i.e. Luclin). Whereas classic is focused on a high fantasy vibe (think Lord of the Rings), Kunark introduces more of a low fantasy vibe (Conan the Barbarian). Kunark very much has a frontier feel. With the exception of the Iksar themselves, one is far from civilization here, relying entirely on literal outposts to function as cities. Everything else is either dangerous dungeons hidden underground or huge open zones teeming with mobs.

The only bad things about Kunark is that melee weapons are a little overtuned (although this is less of an issue if the original timeline is followed as opposed to multiple years of stagnation Kunark like Blue had) and that the Iksar race should have had some kind of drawback to balance it out, particularly for Monks and Necros (I would have liked to see Iksars stat capped at 200, for example).

But yeah, overall Kunark was absolutely the pinnacle of EQ. Every expansion that followed lost the purity of simply being made as an exciting virtual world to adventure in, and design began to be centered around building loot and raid treadmills instead.
I personally think planes of power and kunark were the best. Planes of power was exciting as hell when it came to out! Man plane of Earth with all those scary giant ass crocodiles and creepy music
Old 03-14-2020, 02:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I hated Kunark. Lots of people who came to the game during that era loved it, but I felt it was not a continuation of the game. Especially with 10 Hell levels and how being 60 trivialized content. It was just a grind fest. Especially for hybrids.

I also felt that Kunark raiding was not great at all. Velious raiding was fun as Hell and I guess I’m one of the few who enjoyed Vex Thall. It was so much good loot for one clear...
Old 03-14-2020, 04:51 PM
Fire Giant

PoP also introduced the best graphic pixels the game ever seen imo

Remember that warrior only 2hander, or the staff of transcedence for monks! Whoa
Old 03-14-2020, 04:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktoor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hated Kunark. Lots of people who came to the game during that era loved it, but I felt it was not a continuation of the game. Especially with 10 Hell levels and how being 60 trivialized content. It was just a grind fest. Especially for hybrids.

I also felt that Kunark raiding was not great at all. Velious raiding was fun as Hell and I guess I’m one of the few who enjoyed Vex Thall. It was so much good loot for one clear...
Kunark’s glory is not about 50 - 60.

Kunark makes 1 - 50 an absolute joy compared to vanilla, that’s why people like it so much.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Closed Thread