Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Large Bat

Default Slander vs Libel

We all know that these two terms refer to defamation of character, but do YOU know which is written and which is said?

Learn when to use the term slander. Slander is used when the defamation of character is spoken. This can be person to person or a person speaking to many people.

Say the term libel when referring to the written defamation of someone's character. Libel is the defamation of an individual's or an entity's character which is published in a written medium, such as a newspaper. However, any written communication can be libelous as long as it's transmitted to a third party.

Know the absolute defense against libel and slander. There are a number of possible defenses against libel and slander, but the only one which is an absolute defense is truth. If the statement is true, it cannot be considered libel or slander.

Now that you know which is which, please refrain from repeatedly stating that someone who writes something on these forums is slandering your good character (which is a matter of opinion as is). If you use these terms correctly, you will not only appear smarter in life, but on these forums too! (which is what many of you appear to strive for...)
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Kobold

Thanks.

In next week's segment can you go over high school diploma versus G.E.D.?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Aviak

Hi, do you know what anal retentive means?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Large Bat

Anal retentive must be broken down into two seperate definitions, and then those definitions must be combined in order to form a definition which describes the phrase.

Anal: of, pertaining to, involving, or near the anus. Retentive: tending or serving to retain something. Thus, combining these two definitions to provide a definition of the phrase, you get something closely resembling: using an anus to retain something.

In other words, clenching of the butt cheeks rather firmly to hold something.

Does this help you, Dartagnan?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:38 AM
Sarnak

lol, jeez
Old 12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Orc

evidence vs hearsay and circumstantial (whether they witnessed it first hand or 2nd hand) evidence.

Evidence: written testimony or physical objects
Hearsay: Gathering Info. of what person A, B, and C did (usually dealing with 2nd hand witnesses), not permissable in court (because it's not good evidence and mostly what we use here.
Circumstantial: Indirectly prooves a fact. Bystandard saw something happen (usually dealing with 2nd hand witnesses)
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
1:he did this this and this
2:you're a fool let me embarrass you.
1:you're libel'ing me!
3: rabble rabble rabble
4:rabble rabble rabble
5: rabble rabble

10 pg's later

1:he obviously exploited.
2:where's the evidence?
gm: well i'll check it out
1: why do you need to check it out, we have 10 pg's of evidence. he's a witch

5pg's later

2:I just looked at the rules and.
1: and?
2: well you obviously cheated and these GM's won't do anything about it, except babysit us.
1: look I didn't cheat, is there a rule about this?
2: I dunno, but if there was you'd be guilty, I'm sure of that fact.
1: I'm free
2: libel him

aftermath of rant and raves thread:
1 *feels bad man*
2 *I did my job for the day*
3 *rabble?*
gm *these players are idiots, is there something we can do?
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
so does this show that you can't prove someone guilty on the forums, because it's near impossible to gather the correct evidence?
so, we are wasting everyone's time with these peer trials in rants and raves?

Infact, it appears, these trials will usually create confusion and untruth's more than justice, because no one is officially breaking the rules, or am i wrong?

what is evidence on an mmo server? I mean, it would take longer than a real trial to make sense of all this crap, sense there is only alittle evidence (if any) alot of circumstantial evidence, and intuition is needed.

can we ever trust the 2 biggest guilds with any kind of evidence they bring forward against the other?
what can the gm's do to make these 2 guilds stfu, other than forced rotations and treating them like babies until people start to mature?

anyways, GM's handle rules (sometimes evidence too)
players do not handle evidence and justice, but may bring up suspect circumstantial issues and quote rules and stfu unless they want to slow this process up.

lol, internet games have no evidence that can't be tampered with or taken out of context.
is that right?

Edit: also it is not exactly libel on the internet forums, because the forums are transitory in nature (not persistent, brief in duration), which would actually make it more like slander. Libel is infact written, but more like on paper. This is an internet forum so, it's got alot more slander in it's blood and libel.
Last edited by cassaruby; 12-19-2009 at 02:26 PM..
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks.

In next week's segment can you go over high school diploma versus G.E.D.?
Add also, Homosexuals who make female avatars, IE Zexa, Reiker
Last edited by Pimp1; 12-19-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and more retarded arguements, galore!
This is p1999 forums and our next guest will be,...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can add me into the basket with them. Is it more Homosexual to play a female character or to stare at a guys polygonal ass for 50 levels?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Kobold

You have gotten better at making childish, petty posts!
Closed Thread