Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Default Solo Self-Found Challenge / Guild Interest:

Some members of my stream suggested I make a guild out of this concept. It would be a place for people to hang out, chat, discuss what they're trying to do, and get recommendations on leveling strategies and locations.

If you'd be interested in something like that after reading, create a fresh character and either PM me your name or join our discord: https://discord.gg/CQ8bysF , and post your character name there so I can make the petition / get to inviting you once it gets made.

I was originally inspired to do this after spending some time in Auld Lang Syne years ago--it was really refreshing experience. I found myself enjoying the little things much more in EQ this way and end up having a lot of fun.

So what is Solo Self-Found (SSF)?
SSF is playing EQ without grouping or trading. You can only wear what you find, craft, or quest for. The point is to play within the means of your character.

Why?
It's a fun challenge to give yourself, its a different way to play the game, prompts doing some fun research and making considerations like "Where the hell do I get a magical weapon?" when you can't just buy one or group up and camp something.

What are the rules?
There are no hard and fast rules, but in general I recommend playing only within the means of your own character. As a warrior, I can't bind and I think binding is critical to the game, so I allow that. I can't resurrect myself, but I can farm the experience back, so I likely won't accept rezzes.

These are the rules that I'm following on my dwarf warrior:
Groups: No
Ports: No
Trading: No
Binds: Yes
Buffs: Yes, within reason

I feel that having a random passerby tossing you some buffs is a natural part of the game and in the long term of playing solo those buffs won't impact your progression that much. That being said, I remove thorns effects as I feel those DO impact your progression significantly. If I feel that someone is intentionally trying to power-level me, I ask them politely to stop and explain what I'm trying to do.

If we could make a guild, it might make that part a bit easier since the characters intent would be right there in the guild name.

Things to consider for playing SSF:

Race:
Some races have access to better early quests than others, I chose Dwarf Warrior because I could farm rep with the Gemcutters to quest for a Bull Smasher (6/20 1hb) which will take me a long ways. However, stats matter a lot too. Despite the Bull Smasher, playing an Ogre may have just been better because of their enormous strength and stamina.

Class:
How easy for your class is it to solo? What are they best at soloing? How much of a challenge do you want? Some classes will be significantly easier to play this way, but I'm sure there is still some challenges you would run into trying to obtain various items that you would like, so don't shy away from classes you enjoy playing just because "they're easy to solo with". Just do what's fun.

Initial Stats:
Remember, you're not grouping, dumping points into Stamina as a tank-class might not be the best call. Maybe putting them into strength as a warrior, or wisdom as a paladin for more mana will make soloing easier. Your initial stat distribution will directly impact your progression. I put my initial points in stamina and I've often thought I should've put them in strength as I think the extra damage at my level would outpace being able to take ~1-2 more hits.

Tradeskills:
Some tradeskills are really helpful, like blacksmithing, but this can be expensive. Thats sort of OK though, because what else are you dumping your plat into? Poisons for rogues aren't amazing in groups, but maybe they're worth it on your solo journey?

Starting Town:
Depending on how much of a challenge you want, some cities have better quests than others. Kaladim's bone chip and aviak talon quests are huge XP to cruise through the early levels. Crushbone belts get you decently far as well (its hard to solo much past the entrance though). Qeynos, similarly, has really good starting quests early on and gnoll fangs are great for a really, really long time. So if you have options for your race/class, consider where it makes the most sense for you to go!
Old 05-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Sarnak

I've gotta say I admire your masochism in character choice.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've gotta say I admire your masochism in character choice.
Haha thanks, it's actually not too bad! I've more or less cruised to 20 in the past week, the largest time sinks were farming Bloodforge handins, farming for rep for Bull Smasher, and traveling back and forth from Qeynos for the Bloodforge Hammer quest (desperately needed a magical weapon).
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's a fun challenge to give yourself, its a different way to play the game, prompts doing some fun research and making considerations like "Where the hell do I get a magical weapon?" when you can't just buy one or group up and camp something.
So you aren't allowed to buy Combine weapons from Gypsies in Oasis?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

As a side note, I feel really sorry for you with your play style/class selection. Sitting for 5mins+ per mob is going to be a real pain. Let's say at level 40 you have 2k hps and you can bind wound for half of it (which we will completely ignore the time it takes to do so and get to half hps). At 6hps per tick sitting it will take you ~166 ticks to get to full hps or 16.5 mins to get to full life. If you aren't killing near green con mobs you are going to be spending a crazy amount of your time just sitting waiting on hps. I don't see how that could be an enjoyable stream to watch.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seetherrr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a side note, I feel really sorry for you with your play style/class selection. Sitting for 5mins+ per mob is going to be a real pain. Let's say at level 40 you have 2k hps and you can bind wound for half of it (which we will completely ignore the time it takes to do so and get to half hps). At 6hps per tick sitting it will take you ~166 ticks to get to full hps or 16.5 mins to get to full life. If you aren't killing near green con mobs you are going to be spending a crazy amount of your time just sitting waiting on hps. I don't see how that could be an enjoyable stream to watch.
I generally don't stop killing, at this level (20, almost 21) its pretty easy to just chain kill greens/blues and combat bandage / bandage after battle. We'll see how it goes later in levels!
Old 05-01-2020, 04:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seetherrr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you aren't allowed to buy Combine weapons from Gypsies in Oasis?
I would personally be fine with that, the vendors have those items naturally so I don't see any issue with purchasing them. It becomes complicated though to get the plat to do so on top of raising smithing for banded haha.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I generally don't stop killing, at this level (20, almost 21) its pretty easy to just chain kill greens/blues and combat bandage / bandage after battle. We'll see how it goes later in levels!
fwiw, i've spent a lot of time soloing on a warrior and its actually pretty doable into the 40s. Its kind of fun seeking out places / mobs to solo. I kind of hit a brick wall though at 43 and im still trying to figure out where to go next.

You do spend the majority of your time bind wound / sitting though. And bind wound maxing out at 100 in classic really starts to hurt in later levels.
Last edited by ajdes; 05-01-2020 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
fwiw, i've spent a lot of time soloing on a warrior and its actually pretty doable into the 40s. Its kind of fun seeking out places / mobs to solo. I kind of hit a brick wall though at 43 and im still trying to figure out where to go next.

You do spend the majority of your time bind wound / sitting though. And bind wound maxing out at 100 in classic really starts to hurt in later levels.
Oh snap! I didn't know it only went to 100 that's rough. Any recommendations on where to go around 22-23? I'm in Oasis right now, and its fine, but I feel a little cramped and its tough to find worthwhile orcs / crocs with how many groups are here.

I like big, outdoor zones with a lot of space to pull to and a large selection of mobs, maybe I should head back to the karanas?
Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
It's fine at the lower levels but npc hps/damage scale much faster than PCs. As I stated once you get to the 40's you are going to be spending a lot of time sitting.
Closed Thread