Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:05 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New Player here, wanted to introduce myself

Hey everyone

I finally decided to install Project 99 to get that classic Everquest experience. I never played Everquest, but I love to try out older games, such as Doom I and II or Baldur's Gate I and II, which are some of my favourite games.

My MMO experience so far:
I played WoW Classic back in the days, but stopped when Guild Wars 2 came out, which I still play from time to time. I also played Guild Wars 1 for hundreds of hours and still love it.

Now I wanted to get back to the roots and see where it all started.

Also, I have a quick question: I play on a 4k screen. Is there any way to optimize the game for that? Or at least get it to run fullscreen? So far it only starts in window mode and I see now option to turn fullscreen on. Any help is appreciated =)

I am looking forward to a classic MMO experience and hope to see some of you online =)

With best regards,

Sully
Old 08-05-2019, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Heya! Welcome to EQ!

I never played Everquest before either, until I started here on P99 last year [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There is sometimes a steep learning curve, but there is so much to do & see! I hope you're having fun so far!

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

P99 is my first EQ experience as well.

Take your time with it. Read the p99 wiki. Nothing in EQ happens fast...except deaths....those can definitely happen quickly.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Everquest! !

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 08-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nothing in EQ happens fast...except deaths....those can definitely happen quickly.
Ain't that the truth! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Werga ⋆ Level 29 Shaman ⋆ Troll
Taruuk ⋆ Level 14 Necromancer ⋆ Dark Elf

Old 08-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully van Richard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, I have a quick question: I play on a 4k screen. Is there any way to optimize the game for that? Or at least get it to run fullscreen? So far it only starts in window mode and I see now option to turn fullscreen on. Any help is appreciated =)
Yeah it should, display options.

Keep in mind that the titanium client is what is used here, its not classic. Even the custom UI's are nothing more than min/maxed tools. Hardly any fantasy art & style. There are some other things missing as well, such as night blindness. If you find torches or lanterns in the game you will know why they are there. The original tutorial is missing as well as the original intro when you launched the game. Rogean, Nilbog and crew have done much to restore the original game and polish it.

EQ eventually fell victim to the min/max mentality that plagued nearly all MMORPGs.. but there was a brief moment in time...when the developers didn't know what they were doing or "how to do it".

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, Welcome to P99. The closest to original EQ that is out there.

Last edited by Mblake81; 08-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: fixed a link
Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Sarnak

Welcome new folks! This place is amazing!
We have a new guild that’s all under level 30 if your interested! Msg Semperfi, Hoaty or Helbit!
Read and study the wiki like you’re studying for an exam! Tons of super useful info there. And just have fun.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Banned

My first character in 2000 was a human monk. I remember getting lost somewhere in West Commonlands, it was night and I was blind. Then in the distance I seen this large ball of fire, the size of an evil eye, go streaking across the scape. It was a fireball spell, they are just small dots here on P99.

Spells would stand out in the darkness, especially fire based spells.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:43 PM
Kobold

This game can be extremely brutal. Significant XP loss when you die. Waiting for boats to travel between continents can take up to an hour including travel time. Forgetting to retrieve your corpse in a timely fashion and losing all your gear and PP forever. Putting bad starting stats into your character and feeling like maybe you should just scrap all your progress and reroll the same job class, letting your group down and feeling their rage, everyone has way more money than you, knowing there is content you will probably never experience. Botching a quest turn in and wasting many hours with nothing to show for it, handing gear or pp to the wrong npc or player and not getting it back, petitioning someone and getting banned, getting petitioned and getting banned. It also can creep into your personal life if you’re not careful and take your job, friends, family, health and ultimately your life. Msg deathbunny in game if you want to duo.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:48 AM
Large Rat

That sounds great man. I love BG1 and BG2 too. Is your name Sully in game?
Closed Thread