Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do not like it. As anything but a DE, nighttime requires me to bump up my gamma to see anything. I haven't noticed a difference between Infravision and no Infravision.
I have been specifically testing this by running around a human necro with Deadeye. There seems to be a clear difference between having infravision and not having it, so unfortunately I do not see an issue. Specifics would be needed and they would need to be put in the thread dedicated to this feature. Plus, the devs that worked on the lighting/darkness are watching that thread.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I haven't noticed a difference between Infravision and no Infravision.
I'm glad that I'm not the only crazy one.

It's tripping me out a bit because I normally played human races as a kid. I loved the Qeynos area and spent most of my time there either as a Human, Erudite, or Barbarian. I was quite familiar with night blindness and it's one of the things I loved about the game.

I vividly remember deciding to roll a Dwarf one day and being amazed at how well I could see, even in the dark. The difference was big and I noticed it immediately.

On green however, I don't really notice that difference. The system is really cool, but doesn't quite seem to match the way I remember it.
Last edited by Byrjun; 10-23-2019 at 12:35 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Fire Giant

Byrjun, Good to see ya sir.

If you really wanna see the difference between infravision and blindness, i suggest checking out the tunnel in SFG to QH -- As a half elf i was barely able to make some things out, as a human it seems worse to me.. Maybe it needs slight tweaking but i would say i didnt feel as blind as a half elf.

Lich (56+ Heretic)
Zelda (45 Shaman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derubael View Post
silence, 'hardcore scum'
Old 10-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

I tested dorf, human, and gnome.

Human was very blind at 9pm.

Dorf could see fine

Gnome could see well.

Felt about right.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Fire Giant

I didn't like it but I will admit it feels sort of close to what I experienced on old Fennin Ro when launch first happened and I rolled a Human druid in Qeynos. It was bad enough then for me to re roll as a Wood Elf so I could see at night, and it's bad enough now to make me want to do the same thing.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Kobold

Infravision exists in sort of an unfortunate purgatory where it's very difficult to satisfy everybody.

I run with 21% gamma and I can see perfectly fine with infravision at night. It's not supposed to be GREAT vision, it's supposed to be navigable without aide. You are still supposed to want a decent light source with infravision but it's not a requirement to be able to see a tree 5 feet in front of you.

Innothule and Feerrott are very dark, foggy zones, which does cancel out the benefit somewhat.

There's also a sort of confirmation bias going on here - if you really want to see the benefit Infravision provides, start a half-elf and human in Qeynos and switch between them, looking out of the gate at nighttime. The difference is pretty big.

Unfortunately, with the differences in monitor brightness, system gamma, ambient lighting in your room, glare on the screen, etc. etc. etc.... it's impossible for us to provide something that will work for everybody.

Most people seem happy with infravision and ultravision, so I don't foresee any major changes. I might tweak it a bit more but I wouldn't count on it.
Last edited by BlankDiploma; 10-23-2019 at 01:56 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankDiploma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Infravision exists in sort of an unfortunate purgatory where it's very different to satisfy everybody.

I run with 21% gamma and I can see perfectly fine with infravision at night. It's not supposed to be GREAT vision, it's supposed to be navigable without aide. You are still supposed to want a decent light source with infravision but it's not a requirement to be able to see a tree 5 feet in front of you.

Innothule and Feerrott are very dark, foggy zones, which does cancel out the benefit somewhat.

There's also a sort of confirmation bias going on here - if you really want to see the benefit Infravision provides, start a half-elf and human in Qeynos and switch between them, looking out of the gate at nighttime. The difference is pretty big.

Unfortunately, with the differences in monitor brightness, system gamma, ambient lighting in your room, glare on the screen, etc. etc. etc.... it's impossible for us to provide something that will work for everybody.

Most people seem happy with infravision and ultravision, so I don't foresee any major changes. I might tweak it a bit more but I wouldn't count on it.
As I stated before, this is why I have been running around for a week now with a human and only got him to level 8 so i can have Deadeye. I check out the zone as a blind human and then cast Deadeye and see if there is a difference. There were some places where there wasn't a difference but those seem to be fixed so, I think things look great!
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As I stated before, this is why I have been running around for a week now with a human and only got him to level 8 so i can have Deadeye. I check out the zone as a blind human and then cast Deadeye and see if there is a difference. There were some places where there wasn't a difference but those seem to be fixed so, I think things look great!
There WAS a bug a few days ago with infra/ultravision not applying, but it's fixed now. If you find any more, please report them with a /loc and a screenshot.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snort|eS [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Left my stream running overnight if you’d like to see day/night cycles as a DE and then TRL
I recorded something similar for Telin but here is a comparison day/night cycle in Freport West in the EQ Trilogy client.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/496456098
Old 10-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankDiploma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There WAS a bug a few days ago with infra/ultravision not applying, but it's fixed now. If you find any more, please report them with a /loc and a screenshot.
Sure will. But like I said, I went to all of the places I have been testing last night and things look really good. Thanks again for your hard work!
Closed Thread