Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 06:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason I don't like it isn't because "it's dark" it's because it's not just dark lighting, or even a lack of light, it just removed all the textures of everything in the game and made it a solid black color with no way of knowing what is near you. No amount of gamma raising makes any texture there that is black visible. It doesn't just make the game "bad" to play in that state, it makes it literally unplayable. Maybe the screenshot isn't doing it justice, but moving around with the lighting being like that feels quite literally broken, like the game world exists but completely invisible

edit: I just checked and dynamic lighting is enabled
I hear what you're saying, but they had to wrestle with the Titanium client. I think for what they had to work with, it looks incredible!

Not to mention, the game was absolutely unplayable at night time if you were one of the unholy trilogy (Barbarian, Human, Erudite). I user to have to go AFK at night time because I couldn't see back in 1999 on my first character, which was a Human Paladin.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:26 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hear what you're saying, but they had to wrestle with the Titanium client. I think for what they had to work with, it looks incredible!

Not to mention, the game was absolutely unplayable at night time if you were one of the unholy trilogy (Barbarian, Human, Erudite). I user to have to go AFK at night time because I couldn't see back in 1999 on my first character, which was a Human Paladin.
The reason why I think it's actually broken is because it doesn't always look flat black like that in the entire zone. I was on corpse run in FM and it was very VERY dark, but cranking the gamma up made everything look washed out and reddish brown and you could actually see textures on creatures and the ground.. In certain places (near the DL zone line in FM, and where that screenshot was taken on the bridge in FV) it was just flat, textureless black. I honestly don't think this is working as intended. Next time it happens I'll record some video and post it in here

Plush Bufnstuf
Old 10-25-2019, 07:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQuid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason why I think it's actually broken is because it doesn't always look flat black like that in the entire zone. I was on corpse run in FM and it was very VERY dark, but cranking the gamma up made everything look washed out and reddish brown and you could actually see textures on creatures and the ground.. In certain places (near the DL zone line in FM, and where that screenshot was taken on the bridge in FV) it was just flat, textureless black. I honestly don't think this is working as intended. Next time it happens I'll record some video and post it in here
FM is in Kunark, if you read the dev's responses in this thread, Kunark zones are not complete yet due to the fact that Kunark wasn't in green and it is green where the classic darkness was initially tested.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:45 AM
Planar Protector

Guys, it seems that with each patch, more and more performance is lost.

With the latest 52 patch, FPS drops sometimes to barely playable. That's on a modern comp.

Does it have anyhting to do with the recent DirectX developments?

I play on my laptop and since 49 or 50... the CPU fan is at 100% as soon as p99 eqgame is launched. Even before the game displays any 3D at all.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

True, but you had textures at least. You had the feel of something being around you in general, rather than just a washed out dark screen. I'd rather not have classic darkness if it just means you're going to get hit with a flat blackness for every texture.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guys, it seems that with each patch, more and more performance is lost.

With the latest 52 patch, FPS drops sometimes to barely playable. That's on a modern comp.
^
Old 10-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Kobold

Hey guys, I just wanted to give an update on performance.

There is a low-perf dynamic light mode coming in a future patch that will be usable by people who are seeing issues. Performance problems are not widespread, and they aren't considered game-breaking, so we didn't try to cram them into the day-1 green patch. Apologies to people who are having issues, and I hope we can get a resolution for you soon.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Kobold

Known issues:
  • Clip plane settings affect light radius. (Low priority)
  • Nighttime rain makes it easier to see.

Fixed (Live)
  • Infra/Ultravision are much too dark in certain indoor areas.
  • Skies and ambient lighting are messed up in several zones, notably Feerott, Toxxulia and Nektulos.
  • Outdoor zones should have a subtle blue tint instead of being inky black at night.
  • Under certain conditions, zone lighting can fail to initialize properly, resulting in darker-than-intended conditions outdoors at night.
  • Corpses show dynamic lights.
  • Boats (and certain other props) in certain zones (Erudin, Erud's Crossing) fail to show any dynamic lights at all

Fixed locally, waiting for future patch
  • Dynamic lights can cause FPS loss.
  • Dynamic lights can flicker in very crowded areas.
  • All dynamic lights are too bright
  • Starting candles are WAY too bright

Love to fix, probably can't:
  • Baked environment lighting in some city zones is stronger than intended.
  • Boat dynamic lighting is spotty and ugly.
  • Dynamic lights (torches) not flickering like they did in Classic
  • Infravision red tint on mobs. (Ultravision works fine.)
Old 10-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Aviak

I guess I'm having an issue where the darkness wasn't applied on my end? Still bright as day as a Barbarian while it's supposed to be dark.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphablue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess I'm having an issue where the darkness wasn't applied on my end? Still bright as day as a Barbarian while it's supposed to be dark.
Is it daytime? Cause you know it's supposed to be bright during the day right?

Just checking cause i know Barbarians are pretty stupid.
Closed Thread