Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I looked at the reviews and it looks like the launch is an unqualified disaster.

People be waiting hours and hours in the queue. Lol. I would NEVER wait in a queue. Queue means you're running a crap company just trying to squeeze some bucks and too cheap to invest long term. If you look at the reviews more than half are negative and the vast majority of them are like this "you are stuck waiting in 2500 people queue (about 5 hours)". Screw any outfit that thinks their product is so wonderful I'ma gonna wait around to play? Yeah man, I got 100s of games on my drive, see you laters. I wouldn't be so harsh on some independent studio but this one is backed by Amazon, who are the supposedly the Gods of Cloud Computing. That they couldn't anticipate demand and couldn't spin up more servers on the fly just boggles the mind.

You wait in the queue 2 hours and that counts as time played and now you can't get a refund. What a scam!

Amazon Game Studios is just one failure after another, remember Crucible and that other forgotten disaster? This looks like the last gasp, keep the players in the queue and keep their money lol.

I don't know much about the gameplay. I watched their promotional materials and I couldn't understand the motivation. You're all washed up on some island in the 1700s and are crafting stuff. Because...? I'm not really sure what the objective is, what the end game promises, none of that was explained clearly. There seems to be a very heavy emphasis on crafting, and there seems to be three archetypal factions to join (you got your ruthless guys, the righteous guys, and the secretive forbidden knowledge guys) and these guys fight for control of the island and you can do pvp. So I guess the end game is help your silly faction to gain control points and crafting will help you do that. I wish they were more innovative when creating these. The choices are unimpressive and rote. I don't want to help any of these guys. Going to chop trees so some THE MARAUDERS can grow larger? I'm not invested in them, why should I be?

How easy would it have been to "the entire island is going to sink into the ocean in one year! only the most powerful faction can defeat the evil whatever that is causing it! the final battle awaits!" and now I have a goal. I mean I don't really give a crap about the THE COVENANT but if I help them with the big boss then everyone lives. If that's something that happens the $50 million marketing drive has failed to inform me.
I haven't had a long queue time since early on during launch day. Other than that I've been able to either jump right on without a queue or maybe wait max 20 minutes, which isn't bad and will obviously diminish as they increase server limits and players transfer servers.

The crafting system is very robust and you can craft some serious gear with it. It's also very interesting because you can essentially customize your armor and weapons with attributes based on additional ingredients that you include in your crafting...makes it possible to create some interesting class builds that are actually quite effective (i.e. fire mage who also specializes in the rapier for close combat work). Crafting also helps with upgrading your forts and settlements owned by your faction (the upgrades can be really significant).

Faction ownership itself can provide a bunch of different perks for its members in terms of global perks and also perks localized to the controlled zone. And the faction battles themselves are really fun.

Overall I'm having a very good time in the game. Do I think it's the next ground breaking MMO that I will play for multiple years? Probably not in its current state. But it's very fun (and also the world is beautiful) and I anticipate that it will remain so for about 6-12 months for me.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Kobold

Good game, would recommend.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:12 PM
Kobold

EQ had loads of release issues, get over yourself BELLAMEYSPEARS
Old 10-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boptop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ had loads of release issues, get over yourself BELLAMEYSPEARS
The real ponder, summer sausage, is will this game still have fans 20 years later. I see some of you are using this game as boredom relief, meaning its good for 6 months or maybe a year. Maybe the purdy landscapes will keep you around, bros.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The real ponder, summer sausage, is will this game still have fans 20 years later. I see some of you are using this game as boredom relief, meaning its good for 6 months or maybe a year. Maybe the purdy landscapes will keep you around, bros.
No game is eternal. If you can get 60 months of enjoyment for a $40 price tag, that's fantastic value.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

6 months, gg typo
Old 10-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No game is eternal. If you can get 6 months of enjoyment for a $40 price tag, that's fantastic value.
*looks around*

im confused now, because original EQ wan't $2,000 msrp. We are still here playing it 20 years later because it was good stuff. This was an observation of the decline of the times.

I will say that getting 6 months to a year out of it would be a step up from Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures. (didn't get past the first free month and basically killed my future interest in the genre)
Old 10-01-2021, 10:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
*looks around*

im confused now, because original EQ wan't $2,000 msrp. We are still here playing it 20 years later because it was good stuff. This was an observation of the decline of the times.

I will say that getting 6 months to a year out of it would be a step up from Age of Conan: Hyborean Adventures. (didn't get past the first free month and basically killed my future interest in the genre)
I get what you're saying, but expecting a game to hold your interest for 20 years to be worthwhile is unrealistic. EQ is exceptional.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:04 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hehe the setting is earth sometime... when we genocided and colonized a new world.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, so its kind of bullshit that we can't own slaves to go chop down trees and gather for us.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get what you're saying, but expecting a game to hold your interest for 20 years to be worthwhile is unrealistic. EQ is exceptional.
I don't expect it to hold interest for 20 years, EQ hasn't as its been off and on, not continuous. EQ is an exception that cost the same as this but what I am saying is the players here have already handicapped any expectation lasting more than a year.

on or off, that is a significant decline in interest.