Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they can make Amazon Games considered a legitimate development studio for the future, they will be totally fine taking a loss with New World. That’s completely consistent with their corporate strategy.
Since Amazon Games formed it has consistently delivered trash and cancellations. Look at their release history it's all low quality mobile junk until they started to abort and cancel big-boy games. "inability to see a sustained future" regarding Crucible doesn't say much about their planning and forecasts and is likely the same phrase they will be trotting out again. I would admire the persistence but this isn't some passionate dreamers; this is a corporate idea of what game development is and what the final product should be. I'm sure the individual developers have creativity and passion, but that is plainly missing from the upper echelons.

The only reason so many people are playing is because people are just hungry for a new MMO. It's been years since we had a AAA release and people are checking it out in numbers.

Speaking of so many people, what do they have now like 600 servers? I wonder how they are planning to handle server mergers. Because the server has a persistent control map, right? So all the companies lose all their control and it basically resets? I wouldn't like that as a player, but what else can they do?
Old 10-12-2021, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

I wonder how FF14s numbers are holding comparatively, it was having a big run this last 6 months.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since Amazon Games formed it has consistently delivered trash and cancellations. Look at their release history it's all low quality mobile junk until they started to abort and cancel big-boy games. "inability to see a sustained future" regarding Crucible doesn't say much about their planning and forecasts and is likely the same phrase they will be trotting out again. I would admire the persistence but this isn't some passionate dreamers; this is a corporate idea of what game development is and what the final product should be. I'm sure the individual developers have creativity and passion, but that is plainly missing from the upper echelons.

The only reason so many people are playing is because people are just hungry for a new MMO. It's been years since we had a AAA release and people are checking it out in numbers.

Speaking of so many people, what do they have now like 600 servers? I wonder how they are planning to handle server mergers. Because the server has a persistent control map, right? So all the companies lose all their control and it basically resets? I wouldn't like that as a player, but what else can they do?
Except that’s kind of a different situation from what we were talking about. Your original discussion was about the economic longevity of the game (I.e. even if it’s a good game is it really economically viable without pay to win mechanics etc.). I said I think Amazon is willing to take an economic loss overall on new world if the game stays good and therefore allows them to develop a positive reputation in the space. Thereby netting them much bigger profits in the future via expanded product lines.

Now you’re totally shifting the argument to whether the game is good in general which is a separate debate.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Corporate gaming, Hasbro owns the D&D titties.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hasbro-...ly-11633908662

WoTC are also trash.

Tactical Studies Rules is prime nerd though.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Mblake1981; 10-12-2021 at 01:49 PM..
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM
Fire Giant

The best part of New World is when people* ask what you are playing you can say New World Order created by Jeff Bezos. Endless entertainment.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except that’s kind of a different situation from what we were talking about. Your original discussion was about the economic longevity of the game (I.e. even if it’s a good game is it really economically viable without pay to win mechanics etc.). I said I think Amazon is willing to take an economic loss overall on new world if the game stays good and therefore allows them to develop a positive reputation in the space. Thereby netting them much bigger profits in the future via expanded product lines.

Now you’re totally shifting the argument to whether the game is good in general which is a separate debate.
Oh yeah, imo the two are tightly related.

I spent 38 minutes playing the game and realized it's total and utter trash. Not like oh we didn't know what we were doing trash. No no no. It's intentional trash. It has to be because it's literally impossible for passionate and creative people to create dreck like this. I won't provide my litany because you're either sugar-coating a pile of turds in an attempt to get a new MMO fix or you see it for what it is. I'm not Roddy Piper with the glasses, don't care about convincing people it's actually crap on their plate.

The thing is the suckage is just so obvious the product is definitely going to be bleeding players very fast. Lol I mean it's even conceivable the management will get a bonus for shutting down servers early in order to save money in the long run. One thing they won't be doing is carrying this wreck any longer than they have to. The only thing these people are concerned about is coming out of this disaster clean, so they gonna close it up before it has a chance to generate any losses and call it a win-win. I understand what you're saying about long term investment and your point about the game staying good, but my argument is the game is incredibly bad to begin with, and just to bring it up to a minimum level of expectations will cost tons of time and money and it won't be good then either, just acceptable. Management knows this and they will blow very well rendered smoke up everyone's asses until the moment they turn out the lights and take their remaining money with them.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I spent 38 minutes playing the game and realized it's total and utter trash. Not like oh we didn't know what we were doing trash. No no no. It's intentional trash. It has to be because it's literally impossible for passionate and creative people to create dreck like this. I won't provide my litany because you're either sugar-coating a pile of turds in an attempt to get a new MMO fix or you see it for what it is. I'm not Roddy Piper with the glasses, don't care about convincing people it's actually crap on their plate.

The thing is the suckage is just so obvious the product is definitely going to be bleeding players very fast. Lol I mean it's even conceivable the management will get a bonus for shutting down servers early in order to save money in the long run. One thing they won't be doing is carrying this wreck any longer than they have to. The only thing these people are concerned about is coming out of this disaster clean, so they gonna close it up before it has a chance to generate any losses and call it a win-win. I understand what you're saying about long term investment and your point about the game staying good, but my argument is the game is incredibly bad to begin with, and just to bring it up to a minimum level of expectations will cost tons of time and money and it won't be good then either, just acceptable. Management knows this and they will blow very well rendered smoke up everyone's asses until the moment they turn out the lights and take their remaining money with them.
Idk, I find it enjoyable for a "modern" MMO that's more in the WoW style rather than the old EQ style. I like the crafting system a lot, although there are some areas where it could be improved in terms of making weaponry actually viable for your level by the time you are able to craft it.

The biggest gap in the game that I view as most problematic for its viability is the PvP system pre-level 60. In order to really get involved with the faction system, wars, etc. you have to be level 60. The ability to increase your faction's influence through repetitive PvP missions pre-level 60 (that really have nothing to do with PvP, they are just quests that you have to do while flagged for PvP) is a bad and boring system and essentially makes the whole system susceptible to the meta strategy becoming guilds zerging and just overhwelming the opposing faction with numbers so you can't even attempt to stop them from completing the quests. Also, the ability to unflag for PvP (as long as you're not doing the quests) means an opposing faction can have players following your faction's force around and letting the other faction know exactly what you're doing, and you can't do a thing about it since they aren't flagged for PvP.

There are things that are fun in this game and the faction system and wars are a cool thing (reminds me of the original Planetside, man how I miss that game), but there are definitely things in that system that need to be ironed out. I wouldn't say the game is terrible though.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

A lot of words with no substance. The Cynical Jaded MMORPG player, bitter as ever.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:23 PM
Banned

Im just saying, and it is a fact, that u cant spell Gary Gygax without Gay Gay
Old 10-13-2021, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

The biggest problem I find with nearly all modern games is there is this overall sense that I'm just playing the game exactly how the devs want me to play. There is a real lack of adventure and choice. It's like a build your own adventure book where all routes lead to the same spot and choices had no real impact.

Also this mechanic that I need to gather 100 Wood to go to level 1, then 200 to level to, and then 400 to level 3...just these massive numbers that are incredibly demoralizing when you realize it's just more of the same but with different materials. Or even worse, just a shit ton of the same material you've been gathering the whole time. This has to go away and it's just flat out lazy poor design.

I just started UO Outlands and the depth that these old games have is just amazing. There are a shit ton of skills, a world that is huge with surprises and new features that pop out as you level. Contrast that with modern games and it's no wonder UO and Everquest are still popular.
Closed Thread