Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Fire Giant

Default Dem Debates

The Democratic debate last night was pretty fun, right?! They talked about some real issues. Except Webb who just kept QQing over not getting enough time.

And Chafee.....that "well it was my first week in the Senate and everyone else voted that way" excuse was priceless.

I definitely feel the Bern!
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Fire Giant

Yah, I have been neglecting work to skew dem polls all morning! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Sanders
Wha...? Pootin? Who? National whatcurity?
Quote:
Black lives matter.
Quote:
Biggest threat to national security is climate change.
K
Old 10-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are many exemptions to free speach.. Gerrymandering in the media should be the newest edition to this.

It hasn't worked in our favor with Fox News, and its not going to work in our favor if the rebel alliance starts to rely on it too.

Help put an end to gerrymandering in the media now. Email your senator today and tell them you want to put an end to media run politics: http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 10-14-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 02:35 PM
Sarnak

I thought Bernie did very well last night but I'm not sure he "beat" Hilary. Bernie's stance on guns isn't fantastic, but its one of the very very few issues that I don't agree 100% with him on.

Hilary did great for someone who seems like she realized what it means to be a liberal a week ago. If Bernie's real goal in this election is to pull Hilary to the left then he's certainly done that. I'm gonna be in real trouble come primary time if Hilary manages to convince me that she's actually going to be aggressive on liberal issues. My only real concern with Hilary is that she doesn't actually support many of the issues that she purports to, and is just saying whatever is popular in recent polls. We'll see.

I appreciated Jim Webb being very classy about Bernie's conscientious objector status during the Vietnam war, and I very much appreciate that I'm in law school right now in no small part due to his activism on veterans' benefits. But I'm not sure I was with him on many issues, including affirmative action.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought Bernie did very well last night but I'm not sure he "beat" Hilary. Bernie's stance on guns isn't fantastic, but its one of the very very few issues that I don't agree 100% with him on.

Hilary did great for someone who seems like she realized what it means to be a liberal a week ago. If Bernie's real goal in this election is to pull Hilary to the left then he's certainly done that. I'm gonna be in real trouble come primary time if Hilary manages to convince me that she's actually going to be aggressive on liberal issues. My only real concern with Hilary is that she doesn't actually support many of the issues that she purports to, and is just saying whatever is popular in recent polls. We'll see.

I appreciated Jim Webb being very classy about Bernie's conscientious objector status during the Vietnam war, and I very much appreciate that I'm in law school right now in no small part due to his activism on veterans' benefits. But I'm not sure I was with him on many issues, including affirmative action.
personally I like Bernies centrist stance on guns. On one hand, as far as I'm concerned guns are horrible and I hate them. But on the other hand, I know a war on guns would turn out the same as every war on anything we've ever declared, total failure and decades of wasted effort and money.

In my opinion, you'll never get a Democrat to vote for a republican because the democratic nominee doesn't have the same stance on guns that the voter does, but you WILL get republicans voting for Bernie Sanders if he has a more centrist stance on the second amendment.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In my opinion, you'll never get a Democrat to vote for a republican because the democratic nominee doesn't have the same stance on guns that the voter does, but you WILL get republicans voting for Bernie Sanders if he has a more centrist stance on the second amendment.
This.

And the talk about mandatory reporting of mental health treatment is too slippery of a slope. Like the other candidate said, these types of background checks are fine, but who ultimately decides who can have a gun and who can't?

For expediency reasons I think we can guess that these background checks would ultimately lead to being denied a firearm if you have any history of being in a protected section (Section 12, Section 5150). One of the questions that ATF special agents ask when conducting an interview is "Have you ever received mental health treatment of any kind?", "Have you ever been in a protected section?". I know this because I knew a guy who was being investigated as a potentially "prohibited possessor". He was able to DENY any history of these things to the special agent, because current privacy law PROTECTS him from guys like this, who's goal was only to take unilateral action as a Special Agent and happily add another name to the prohibited possessor database with absolutely no oversight, and no consideration aside from his narrow matter-of-fact questions.

As adults, we all know you can end up sectioned for expressing a certain feeling after a tough break-up with a girlfriend.

For this reason, as I know too many responsible adults who had relationship problems in their 20's, I am fully against mandatory reporting of mental health records and section history. ONLY IF these records would be used by the legislation to make a blind uninformed decision to deny the applicant the sale of a firearm.
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 10-14-2015 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
K
You nailed it, my thoughts exactly.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Banned

what scares you more, russia or black people?
Closed Thread