Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Aviak

Default Shackle of Steel Guide (spoiler)

Hey fellow monks,

With the latest patch changes enabling the Shackle of Steel to be completed, I thought I'd share some information regarding the final step of the quest, since the wiki currently hosts information for the post-Droga revamp. Hopefully this saves some folks from having to dredge old archives to find the original information.

To start, get the key base from Rinmark, and complete the Shackle of Bronze and Shackle of Copper. You can figure that out yourselves!

1. The Nickel key - There's 2 spawn points in Dalnir where "a coerced penkeeper" can spawn. The first is just south of the drop-down point on the 3rd basement, and is roughly a 12 minute timer.

The second spawn point is found on the other side of the false-wall behind the crypt, just before cave that leads to the Kly area. This spawn is roughly 25 minutes, but is also shared with a couple of other named spawns.

I recommend the first spawn point, for expedience.

2. The Copper key - This key is a pain, but fortunately it's in the same room as the final hand-in for your Shackle.

The first trick is to get down to the jail in Droga. I won't go into details on this, since maps are available. This can be dangerous without a partner to cast invis, but Cloudy Potions are pretty cheap and effective. You can either walk down to the jail entrance, or take a separate path that features a false floor where you can fall directly into a jail cell.

If you came through the false floor, there's an obvious false wall (it's a different color) where you can walk out through the adjacent cell. Then you just have to deal with the locked doors.

You'll find several barred doors that cannot be opened without a key or lockpick. Somewhere there's a key I guess, but we're resourceful monks, so we're not going to worry about it.

There's two ways to circumvent the doors, and this is important for exiting when you're done. You can either get a Shrink from a friendly shaman or item, or you can duck your way through the door. To perform the duck trick, run towards the door lock at a 45 degree angle, and duck your character. It may take a few attempts, but you should pop through.

Take note of 2 rooms inside the jail: the room with enslaved iksars, and the room with the broken bars.

The broken bars room is where the "a goblin interrogator" spawns. Spawn timer is shared with the zone, and placeholders vary. The interrogator drops the Copper Key. Combine this with the Nickel Key in the key base, and bam, you have your Coppernickel key.

Also note, the interrogator will attempt to flee at less than 20% health, and can potentially cause a train. There's an easy way around this -- leave the goblin spawn up on the other side of the false wall, and pull the interrogator or placeholder into the middle of the broken bars room. Proximity to the nearby goblin provides them sort of a "courage-tether" and will prevent the goblin from running.

------------

Inside the slave room, there's 2 spawns. Ignore the spawn on right, you want the spawn directly in the middle of the room. This is usually "a crazed iksar slave". Kill this guy (faction hits are +LegionofCabilis, +BroodofKotiz, -TheForsaken) and sometimes "an iksar slave" will spawn. Hail this slave and if there's no response, it's a placeholder that may be killed for no faction hit. Otherwise, the response should be:

an Iksar slave seems to have lost all hope. He sadly looks to the ground. His shackles are different than the others you see in this cell. One is definitely steel and not of goblin design. The other is made of an unfamiliar metal.

This is Veltar, which you can verify by asking "Are you Veltar?".

Hand Veltar your Coppernickel key, your Shackle of Bronze, and Shackle of Copper to receive the Shackle of Steel.

Congrats! I hope this helps a few of you, and feel free to ask me any questions if you see me online.
Last edited by pyroglyphix; 11-02-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Old 11-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Aviak

One quick note, something I forgot to mention:

Veltar does despawn the instant the quest is completed, so please bear that in mind when completing.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Sarnak

+1 Well done.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Kobold

+1 answered all my questions the quest guide just happened to miss. Thanks much
Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks much!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

How rare a spawn is the coerced penkeeper? I socked him all night, and didn't get him. Was in statue room, like this guide recommends.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishyOne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How rare a spawn is the coerced penkeeper? I socked him all night, and didn't get him. Was in statue room, like this guide recommends.
Unfortunately random is random. Could be 20 minutes, could be 10 hours.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroglyphix [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately random is random. Could be 20 minutes, could be 10 hours.
3rd night and nothing. RNGesus hates me...=(
Old 02-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Fire Giant

From what I was reading, it appears this quest is set for Iskar. Could it be done by a Human Monk or is there a similar quest for Human Monks?
Old 02-18-2016, 03:03 PM
Sarnak

It can be done by Human MNKs, but it requires MUCHO faction work.