Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-13-2021, 08:42 AM
Skeleton

Default HD textures

There is https://p99.yourfirefly.com/ (lowres_s3d.zip, highres_s3d.zip and x4classicUpgrade.zip especially) and then there is https://wiki.project1999.com/EQClassicHD and https://wiki.project1999.com/Highres_4X_HD (among still others).

My goal is to have a classic looking game (no custom/cartoonesque bullshit), but upscaled textures wouldn't hurt, and I'm still confused as to which one(s) I should install and in what order. For instance, should I just install highres_s3d.zip, or should I install lowres_s3d.zip first and then highres_s3d.zip? What about EQClassicHD and Highres_4X_HD?

Sorry if it has been answered already, I've searched the forums for a straight answer but couldn't find it.
Thanks to anyone willing to enlighten me!
Old 08-13-2021, 04:07 PM
Kobold

I am not familiar with the "Highres_4X_HD" textures, but my process has always been to:

1) Install the game (note that the original CD ISOs will use the "lowres" equivalent textures).
2) Unzip and paste the "highres" textures into your install folder, replacing any files when prompted.
3) Unzip and paste the "EQClassicHD" textures into your install folder, replacing any files when prompted. This set enhances the original "highres" textures and provides some P99 client-specific fixes, like transparencies, summoned eye color, etc.

This process will give you good looking textures without any cartoony or low res results. Step 2 may not even be necessary, but I do it anyway to close any potential gaps. If you do this process in any other order than listed above, the "worse" versions will just partially or completely replace the better ones.

Edit: Looks like the 4X textures are kind of an optional further enhancement to EQClassicHD, with much larger files and longer zone time in some cases. Consider it an optional step 4. If you use them after applying EQClassicHD, you'll replace most of the zone/texture files, but still keep some of the fixes/enhancements that EQClassicHD provides. Personally I will probably just keep using EQClassicHD only.
Last edited by Lightloch; 08-13-2021 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 08-13-2021, 05:00 PM
Kobold

EQClassicHD biggest changes are to armor and weapons and models. the "highres" zone textures link on the same page are basically the luclin world textures.

Highres 4X HD are superior world textures to those found on the EQClassicHD page.

So do this:
1. install Highres 4X HD https://wiki.project1999.com/Highres_4X_HD
2. Install (and overwrite) EQClassicHD https://wiki.project1999.com/EQClassicHD

classic textures that arent a blurry mess of shit. theyre sharp and clear. because remember, back in 1999, low resolutions and lowres textures didnt look terrible ON A 15" monitor. Anyone who shuns these texture packs because "they want a classic experience" are out of their minds - get these texture packs and fill your 30-40" monitor beautifully. obviously your zone loading times will increase. mine increased by about 4 secs on a SSD.
Last edited by Faxi; 08-13-2021 at 05:08 PM..
Old 08-13-2021, 05:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightloch [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not familiar with the "Highres_4X_HD" textures, but my process has always been to:

Edit: Looks like the 4X textures are kind of an optional further enhancement to EQClassicHD, with much larger files and longer zone time in some cases. Consider it an optional step 4. If you use them after applying EQClassicHD, you'll replace most of the zone/texture files, but still keep some of the fixes/enhancements that EQClassicHD provides. Personally I will probably just keep using EQClassicHD only.
theyre separate packs - you can use both and will want to. trust me, Highres 4X HD are far better than the zone textures found on the EQClassicHD page.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:06 PM
Kobold

@Faxi thanks for the clarification. Just to confirm, you say to paste in Highres 4x first and then EQClassicHD, or opposite?
Last edited by Lightloch; 09-04-2021 at 04:19 PM..