Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Win 7 64bit, 4gig of RAM
Try making a very small disk, like 20 MB or something, see if it you can get it to initialize at all. If it does, depending on your system configuration and what you have running, you might not have enough available memory.

If that doesn't work at all, I'd try uninstalling RAMDisk and reinstalling the *.msi with a right click -> Run as Administrator. Run the configuration tool as an administrator, as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrisard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Try making a very small disk, like 20 MB or something, see if it you can get it to initialize at all. If it does, depending on your system configuration and what you have running, you might not have enough available memory.
It allowed me to create a 20mb disk. How don't I have enough available memory to create a small 2gig disk? The laptop is literally 2 months old.

Also, now how do I delete this pointless/wasted 20mb allocation? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Kolored on Red.

Last edited by Versus; 11-26-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Sarnak

Carving out half of your total memory for a virtual disk isn't really a "small" thing ;D Windows itself will want almost 600-800 megs alone for day to day usage. Specific system configurations with a lot of pre-installed programs set to start at startup can potentially eat a lot of your available memory in addition to that, which isn't uncommon with a lot of "pre-built" systems. I've seen some factory "back up" programs take up almost a full gig or more(!)

If anyone wants to mess around with trimming their running processes at startup, they do so at their own risk.

Obviously, if you're running anything memory intensive like Photoshop or video editing software, this will have an effect. Hell, just surfing a couple boards and Firefox is at almost 300 megs.

Anyways, to stop and uninstall:

Enter the RAMDisk Configuration, click "Stop RAMDisk" at the bottom. That will stop the disk service and shout make the drive go away.

Delete the "RAMDisk.img" and "RAMDisk.img.bak" in your C:\ drive (if you kept the save/load image location to default). These are where the disk image is stored when not in use, so this is a house keeping measure to delete these.

Uninstall RAMDisk if you plan on never fooling around with it again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Aviak

Just thought I'd put my 2 copper in, I use a 2gb thumb drive, my zone loading and all loading really is just 5-10 seconds usually. I used FatMagic's EQLite to cut my install down and loading it into RAM really had no different effect than just using my 2gb drive with the tiny install on it.

Check out FatMagic's EQLite. It'll cut your P99 install down to 1.4gb
Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Banned

Thanks for the guide, Did this(though don't run it on a thumb drive) and it vastly improved my zone times. My brothers laptop used to zone faster then me(qtr of the ram/processing speed but a 80gb 10k rpm hd), now I am zoning into some places in average of 5 seconds. At first I didn't notice too much difference until i started zoning back and forth into zones and I guess it was caching the zones to make them load faster the next time around? First zone into DL was 9.7s, zoned into KC 6.5s, back out to DL 6.9s, and back into kc was a mere 4.9s. As opposed to 20-25 second+ on average zones prior, It goes so quick the little blue load bar sometimes doesn't even show up it just poofs to the zone.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Planar Protector

+1 for SSDs. It's lazy and super fast if you can handle the smaller capacity. A 120 GB one is fine for what I do on my laptop and it's just been incredible for raiding. I usually beat people that I port into a zone by 5 seconds, actually make it to trak pops before he's engaged lol. Highly recommend one if you don't feel like doing this.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Kobold

Yeah, isn't it just as easy to get an SSD. I see other people have posted it, but seems much less intensive, same results, and it doesn't effect other high end programs. I mean, I have 18 gigs of RAM, so I have some to spare, but why not just go get an SSD, or another one if yours is all full up of other games, like mine?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

This is free, takes 5 minutes. I too was going to buy a 60-120gb SSD solely for the purpose of zoning faster in EQ, But why waste money when can accomplish the same thing in minutes for free. Doesn't effect anything else i do so far that I have noticed. Not to mention you can always click 'stop ramdisk'.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is free, takes 5 minutes. I too was going to buy a 60-120gb SSD solely for the purpose of zoning faster in EQ, But why waste money when can accomplish the same thing in minutes for free. Doesn't effect anything else i do so far that I have noticed. Not to mention you can always click 'stop ramdisk'.
aalpha approves of this message. i run ram drive and give zero fucks about my lost logs and screen shots. (JK i miss my screenshots and logs, but ram drive is that awesome and super free)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Unless you're playing on red, I don't see the urgency to zone as quickly as possible...sounds like a lot of effort just to wait a couple of seconds less between zones :P
Closed Thread