Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 12:41 PM
Sarnak

Question Solo Rangers - Do you wear a 2nd worn haste with SW?

Particularly for soloing with Swarmcaller/Runed Blade, where you'd need to take out your Swiftwind.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I was deciding between two closely costed items: Lodi Shield or a Sibilisian Berserker Cloak.

Curious what the norm is for those who don't have the luxury of having an Earthcaller.

PS - just lacking a 55+ tanky class for Jaeil (plus my static group), and the PoSky piece! Would appreciate any help I can get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by afelipe1189 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Particularly for soloing with Swarmcaller/Runed Blade, where you'd need to take out your Swiftwind.

For the sake of discussion, let's say I was deciding between two closely costed items: Lodi Shield or a Sibilisian Berserker Cloak.

Curious what the norm is for those who don't have the luxury of having an Earthcaller.

PS - just lacking a 55+ tanky class for Jaeil (plus my static group), and the PoSky piece! Would appreciate any help I can get [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it were me, I would look at a non-back slot backup haste in case you are able to loot what you need in Sky for the Dark Cloak of the Sky turn-in, unless you don't mind giving up a main inventory slot for it.

I use a RBB for my backup item haste, and I wear the DCotS for my spell haste.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Not what you wanted to hear but that 20k or w/e would be much better going in the bank to buy seoc. If you just really want a cloak then I'd go with the Lodi shield bc you don't need haste to proc slow. I guess if you're very weak then the 9sta and 50hp on sib could be nice but meh.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

I went with the 41% VP boots for weapon swaps. Think I used RBB before that.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

I would say if you're mainly swapping to the Swarmcaller/Runed blade to proc, then back to whatever/Swiftwind (you have SW right?) to dps, not to worry about a backup haste item. From what I understand you would have a better chance at procing those weapons minus the haste. Hiero cloak or Lodi shield may be better options for your back slot. For the price, the RBG is a great item to wear regardless if you're using the haste or not.
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Sarnak

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it were me, I would look at a non-back slot backup haste in case you are able to loot what you need in Sky for the Dark Cloak of the Sky turn-in, unless you don't mind giving up a main inventory slot for it.

I use a RBB for my backup item haste, and I wear the DCotS for my spell haste.
Definitely have my sights set on the sky cloak, although I'll probably have to resort to buying loot rights for one, which may not happen anytime soon. That being said, I think that does move the needle between deciding waist vs. back slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not what you wanted to hear but that 20k or w/e would be much better going in the bank to buy seoc. If you just really want a cloak then I'd go with the Lodi shield bc you don't need haste to proc slow. I guess if you're very weak then the 9sta and 50hp on sib could be nice but meh.
I'm on board with saving up for the SEoC, but I'd rather have my plat work for me until I get to that point, even if it comes with the cost of tunneling when I get closer to that magic number of whatever one costs.. Great point about haste not effecting procs - now that you mention it, I do recall reading a thread on that.

Seems like the jury is split.. belts are hard to come by (not a raider), so I'm thinking I'll take the stats and haste of an RBG and pair it with a heiro/lodi for now, with sky cloak -> SEoC as future goals.

Thanks for your responses in this thread and the countless other Ranger ones I've read [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Sarnak

If you need a tank for the hole part I can do it on my pally. I used a cloak of flames for a long time till I got my swiftwind. It's got good stats and can be used on an alt once you get your SW. I liked rocking cat fur girdle or tbb for my waist slot. CoF is a bit more money but can always flip it.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe not understanding the question but for solo/melee fighting with my ranger I root/snare and joust with the Swarmcaller until it procs. If it doesn't I'm still on average doing more damage per round than with the DW combo.

For a tanky combo or for mobs with damage shields maybe pack a Wurmslayer? It's a DPS drop compared to Exquisite/Crafted/Guard Capt Mallet/SoZ, etc but you will definitely eat less ripostes. That or just get some budget haste like a SCHW and use a 2h of your choice (never thought about a Runed Blade); would be an interesting parse but I expect the 20-30% dps loss for the tank isn't as important as increasing survivability.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-14-2020 at 07:23 PM..
Old 01-15-2020, 05:07 PM
Sarnak

I have the same setup and use belt of the pine when I use swarmcaller. Usually they rot in sky so it might be pretty easy to pick one up.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Planar Protector

Need more Ranger discussion
[51 Champion] Logue (Halfling)
Closed Thread