Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 AM
Aviak

Default How to get a port

1) Money talks. That 3 line /tell you just sent me explaining why you need my services is sweet but you're wasting your time and mine. You want my attention?

/t Gandite gfay to nro 40p

2) If you're on a CR you are absolutely at the mercy of the person porting you. Don't bother with the "I'll hit you up later/when I get my body/when I get back to EC" because I don't believe you. Heard it all a trillion times and I don't care. If I ported you for your CR its because I felt like helping you out. If you do make good on it that's awesome, but the vast majority don't so save your breath.

3) Don't sit somewhere and /ooc for a ride. Even if you're donating or sitting somewhere heavily populated like EC. Do a /who and find someone. Even when I'm fishing for ports I ignore a large amount of that stuff. The people advertising do the same thing. They expect you to come to them, not the other way around. Don't wait. Make that shit happen.

4) A port is a luxury, not a right. If you're a low level figure 1pp/level until you figure out the paper chase. If you're level 45 and you offer me 20p to pick you up and port you somewhere go die in a fire. You're wasting my time and you know it. If you can't let go of your precious monies get a sow and start putting one foot in front of the other. There's always the boats!

edit:

5) Always pay in platinum. Why the fuck are you carrying 600 gold? Seriously.
Last edited by Gandite; 01-26-2011 at 06:29 AM..
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 AM
Fire Giant

I don't like the greedy tone in this. Yes, I do agree that many people can be a nuisance and do not deserve to be ported for the kind of manners they show.

However, I found that as a true newbie, it is hard to find help when people automatically expect you to be an alt, and charge you 25pp (for a level 7!) to get out of Toxx - for instance - to the commonlands.

So - I'd agree that donating is good practice, and I definitely agree that no one can demand to be ported, but I think many porters are being greedy about it, charging rates that only twinks can afford.

I think what's affordable to a level 10 would be in the range of 5-10pp but that is already a huge amount of money that will be missed sorely when buying spells later.

I generally SoW people when I don't have anything better to do without expecting money, and turn down donations from lower levels. I am happy if porters treat me the same. Sure, zoning is involved, usually twice, so that is some extra effort - but going (a bit) out of your way to help people is what makes EQ a fun social experience for everyone.

Just my 2c,

Slozem (currently 23 shm)
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Fire Giant

/ooc Paying 50pp for a lift to _________ <--- works like a charm

But I think it's better that every porter put up a list of how they prefer to be approached. Then we non-porters can print out the thread and refer to it as necessary.

Oh. And please porters, post in alphabetical order!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM
Aviak

There's nothing greedy about this. I've never charged anyone up front and I never advertise that I'm porting. If I want money I fish. If someone expected 25pp to get your level 7 off Toxx you've asked a huge dick.

Also remember like I said its a luxury. Your level 7 can still travel. There's a boat to qeynos, and then the longest run of your life to get to anywhere meaningful.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Sarnak

Zereh, i just noticed you're from Kirkland 0_0 i'm from Sammamish pretty much nearby there. lol wtf

Server first Golden Sash of WTFPWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Unlike modern life, natural selection is alive and well on p99. Adapt or die.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Kobold

Zepp I ran into something similar on Live back in the day.

After being in a guild for almost 3 years, found out my Guild Leader lived about 10 mins from me.

I /gquit and never played live again.

Tru story!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 AM
Sarnak

dude i was about to say Zereh, Wurli, me and my gf... Tech City bowling! lets do eeet. lmao

Server first Golden Sash of WTFPWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Unlike modern life, natural selection is alive and well on p99. Adapt or die.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Sarnak

Condescending much? I'd sooner walk than ask you for anything at this point.

I'd go into a few reasons why your expectations are ridiculous, but you seem to be set in your ways, so... yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratis View Post
Or you people could quit being children and stop treating minor issues as major infractions. There are tons of petitions coming in for reasons that can actually be resolved quickly and don't culminate in a message board brawl by a bunch of adults acting like brats.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Planar Protector

Hell, i usually donate a gem of some sort for a port because it weighs less than carrying money. It wasn't mentioned in your rules of etiquette for asking for a port so i'll assume it's frowned upon.

Since we're complaining about people's attitudes when asking for things. Here's Here's my criteria :-
1. Don't bother sending me a tell with just "clarity" or "c" ... because that's not a question, it's not polite, and i'm not going to buff you. /tell "can i get a clarity plz?" works fine.

2. Don't donate, C isn't worth a lot of money, and i'd rather not have to move my mouse to accept your 3pp, give it to a noob or something. Also you mess up my targeting, as well as mean no one else can open a trade with me.

3. Be in range of where i am, i'm not looking for you, i'm going to /rtarget you and cast, that's all.

4. I hate you, don't think i buff you because i think you're nice.

5. If you're a class of remotely any use (dru, sham, cle) then you may as well try and toss me a complimentary buff.

I enchant things...
Last edited by Omnimorph; 01-26-2011 at 08:26 AM..
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Aviak

I've never been given gems before but I think that's a fine idea. It never occurred to me that it would save weight. You would not believe how many motherfuckers pay me in gold. WHY ARE YOU CARRYING ALL OF THAT?

I feel like I could have said some of what I said better, for example on #1) is based on an assumption you're planning on paying for the port in the first place. It isn't about the money its that I want you to spit it the fuck out.

/t Gandite hi are you porting?
/r yeah sure
/t Gandite if it isn't too much trouble I'd like to donate for a port to sro
/r yeah sure
/t Gandite awesome where are you?
/r tunnel ent

This has nothing to do with the money. Just spit it out. People send me tells that are a fucking paragraph long explaining that they need a port. I'm a wizard I get it.

/t Gandite 50p for a sro port
/r tunnel ent

Here is the chase, and that is how you cut to it.
Closed Thread