Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Aviak

Default 1st big upgrade for 32 Monk

Hey,

My level 32 Monk (main char) has saved about 5k platinum to date. I am thinking about a serious upgrade piece; for a long time I was planned to buy a bag of tinkerers for flexibility. I know the bag will hold value, as well and be useful at any level.

That being said....should I keep saving for something more impactful, like an FBSS or similar haste item? I always play with a shaman so I at least have his haste buff running.

I already have the essentials: 5/55 rings, forest loops, dual trance sticks, quivering staff, azure sleeves + cured silk set, and a 25% reduction bag.

My cash flow is limited to the capabilities of my Monk and my 34 Bard (co-main char hehe).

Any ideas on a 1st "big boy" upgrade?

Thanks in Advance [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-17-2014, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Save for fbss probably. Tink bags are great, but if you're always with a buddy then it's not like you need to be carrying loot anyway (sham can summon WR bags anyway if you insist on carrying loot yourself), and there are other weight-reduction bags that are light weight to use for food/bandages/shurikens/whatever. Maybe consider buying an imbued fighters staff if you like using 2hb. You could get one for like 3k probably, instead of 8k+ that a FBSS would cost, and IFS without haste is about the same damage you'd be doing with quivering staff and FBSS... plus you drop 5 weight to boot! Then you could work towards an FBSS from there.

I personally have never been one to worry about making wise investments on gear that I will actually be using. I see no problem losing money on an item because I buy it now for more than I sell it for in 3 months when I get an upgrade, but in the meantime I get some good use out of that item. Not even sure how much a 3k IFS will change in price over the next several months anyway!
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 07-17-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

fbss
Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 AM
Planar Protector

Whether you have shaman haste or not is irrelevant. Item haste stacks with spell haste - so as long as you're not already at the haste cap for your level with a spell buff (you won't be at higher levels), a good haste item will be worth more than most other things you might consider buying as a monk.

Until you can reasonably get a high dollar haste item or a posky haste belt ... FBSS is a big deal.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Planar Protector

Tink bag would probably help you save more cash tho
Old 07-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Save for a peacebringer and fbss. On red the dps is crazy 30+. After that invest in tink bags. I find groups so easy because of dps+ pulls+ tanking
Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Tink bag would indeed let you hold more loot to sell, but the fastest way to making money is to level - and a good haste item will have you leveling faster. If you're in the right place a right time you could potentially get a fbss for as low as 6-7k - realistically they usually go for 8-9k.

5/55 rings, a good but inexpensive weapon and a haste item will get you a long way as a monk on a budget.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Banned

PB is a terrible idea. It doesn't pass up IFS in dps until ~50 and is a costly interim step between an IFS and either epic/sos or a T-Staff.

FBSS if you want to level faster. Tink bag if you're leveling slower and want to make more cash along the way.

FBSS prices seem to fluctuate and have dropped lately. Tink bag always holds steady and one tink bag will likely be in your inventory forever.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

With misses added in, pb is better dps til 50+... You think a tink bag is gona boost his wealth? How much expensive shit can you fit in there at 32?
If you have the best gear possible, gets 50+. 1 good drop in seb/kc will make up for all them trash drops he can fit into one bag.
Last edited by Infectious; 07-23-2014 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: .
Old 07-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Banned

Unless you get both dragon bags you'll still want a tink bag. Even then, you still might want one tink bag. Even at his level, a tink bag is still an extra 50pp every time you cross a vendor. I can't believe it won't pay for itself between 32 and 60 just on FS weapons.

You'll also always want some haste. Most haste is droppable which means you can swap out haste to upgrade.

PB actually overtakes IFS at level 44. It is worse damage at lower levels. At level 60 it is roughly 4% more dps than an IFS. IFS with any haste is still better than PB with no haste.

The formula for misses is too complex and can't be easily calculated like DPS, damage bonuses, and dual wield %. It would vary from target to target and is not as easy as saying you'll miss on x% of swings.

When you figure the cost difference between an IFS, PB, and T-Staff, I don't see how you would ever not just skip PB and go for T-Staff. I actually see T-Staff and IFS for sale more often than PB too.
Closed Thread