Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Large Rat

Default New Player with limited time - Cleric Viable?

Hello,

I've played EQ a lot in the past (I was very young, and was never able to focus enough to level past the late 40s). I'm currently trying to decide on a class. I don't have a ton of free time to devote to the game, so being able to solo a bit is important. I'm really interested in playing a cleric. Is it really that hard to solo on a cleric when I don't have time to find a group, or will I be better off with a class who can solo better, like a bard?
Last edited by vsanthos; 06-29-2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

You can solo on a cleric no problem! Once you hit 50s not as much but it is really easy at that point to find a group as a cleric. If that’s what you want to play then do it the server could use more Main clerics!
Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Aviak

You can solo on any class really, given time.

Just be warned a lot of the people saying you can solo, are coming at this thinking you have top end twink gear. And at the end of the day you might find you wished you went with a more solo friendly class.

Wasn't even a week ago a twinked cleric in my guide was complaining about soloing, because they couldn't find a group.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsanthos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I've played EQ a lot in the past (I was very young, and was never able to focus enough to level past the late 40s). I'm currently trying to decide on a class. I don't have a ton of free time to devote to the game, so being able to solo a bit is important. I'm really interested in playing a cleric. Is it really that hard to solo on a cleric when I don't have time to find a group, or will I be better off with a class who can solo better, like a bard?
Clerics can solo, but your options are very limited. You're really just looking for specific spots for undead, and cleric is ultimately a group class. I would not recommend playing this class if your playtime is limited to solo play.

In your situation, I'd recommend a Druid. They can heal, but can solo extremely well between charming and quadding. If you're looking for classes with a higher skill cap who are great soloers, then go with Enchanter, Necromancer, or Bard. Wizards are also a good solo option, but you sorta have to be 100% set on a wizard to play one. It will take awhile to get to lvl 34 where your solo play really takes off, and are more annoying to play without the means of obtaining Jboots.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsanthos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

Basically you'll struggle in the DPS department your whole life if you decide to solo a cleric. Any things possible, but that doesn't mean you should do it
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 AM
Kobold

Given your situation I highly recommend a shaman. It's the perfect class for when you only have half an hour to play and want to solo, but then on days where you have time, if you want to get a group they are always looking for a shaman.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Fire Giant

Contact me in the tunnel tonight after 8 Eastern time. I have something to give you that will help you out regardless of whether you go Cleric or Shaman. Send me a PM with your character's name so I know it's you.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Given your situation I highly recommend a shaman. It's the perfect class for when you only have half an hour to play and want to solo, but then on days where you have time, if you want to get a group they are always looking for a shaman.
I played a bit on a bard, only level 4 though, so not a lot of investment. Is a shaman going to work out a lot better in the end than a bard?
Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

The same will apply to bard. You can spend 30 mins soloing very effectively either charm or AE kite (One 25-min ae kite session will be like grouping for a whole day).

When you need a group, bards are great utility class and get groups easily.

I would say that without MAJOR time investment, youll get more out of bards (since shammies need like 200k in spells / gear and level 60 to be considered a real 'shaman')
Old 07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The same will apply to bard. You can spend 30 mins soloing very effectively either charm or AE kite (One 25-min ae kite session will be like grouping for a whole day).

When you need a group, bards are great utility class and get groups easily.

I would say that without MAJOR time investment, youll get more out of bards (since shammies need like 200k in spells / gear and level 60 to be considered a real 'shaman')
That's what I understood previously. Just wanted to make surez before I sink too much time into a character. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Thanks for the input!
Closed Thread