Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Planar Protector

gotta give weps to your charm pets to get them to dual wield

that adds up if you're killing your pet every fight
Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Planar Protector

Well, the math portion of it comes apart a little bit when you throw in the number of med ticks you get, however the effectiveness of your pet during the fights as well as the whole method is contingent on you fearing the mob. With that said, you're still going to be doing the same amount of chasing on an unsnared mob as I would be.

I would argue you get the same number of med ticks either way considering my method has always been to simply follow the feared mob (while trying to take advantage of quick med breaks) and mezzing everything that might path near where the battle is going on.

Either way, I think the take away from this is that, at least on paper, both methods come very close to eachother with regards to mana used vs. Mobs killed. Though I can tell you it worked best for me by doing it my way, if you've perfected yours in a way that works then all the power to you. Fwiw it sounds like yours is a more universal application of Enchanter solo skills anyways so that's a pretty useful set as it is. I would say my way of doing it though grows some real legs when you add a second class to it, which as I've said before is the basis for a really effective group.

Tl;dr: why solo quickly when you can duo quicker?
Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why solo quickly when you can duo quicker?
Duo has more max potential.

Solo is a million times more convenient.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Fire Giant

My enchanter is level 30, he should be just right for starting to take on some pirates and stuff. I might actually do a little test, maybe an hour of killing with just fear and an hour doing mem blur/kill and see what each gets me. Mem blur/kill was getting me better xp in the WW giant fort, but I also didn't have a wicked backstabbing pet to pump damage out faster. I really came into my stride and started enjoying charming a lot out there so I want to figure out how to maximize my returns doing it.

I definitely agree with duoing though, especially since I tend to get bored fairly quickly soloing. I often hear about druids and necros having hard times finding groups so I like to invite them, great partners for fear kiting.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you tried using mem blur with them, though?
Why mem blur? When your pet gets low, just invs / hide to break charm and kill it.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Duo has more max potential.

Solo is a million times more convenient.
Absolutely 100% this.

I think that because the level of damage a pirate can do is so high and so quick, the strategy you would use for duo (chain pulling and fear kiting) is as effective as mem blurring and nuking (which is the obvious solo strategy). I don't think you would get this type of efficiency without a backstabbing hasted mob.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenlaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My enchanter is level 30, he should be just right for starting to take on some pirates and stuff. I might actually do a little test, maybe an hour of killing with just fear and an hour doing mem blur/kill and see what each gets me. Mem blur/kill was getting me better xp in the WW giant fort, but I also didn't have a wicked backstabbing pet to pump damage out faster. I really came into my stride and started enjoying charming a lot out there so I want to figure out how to maximize my returns doing it.

I definitely agree with duoing though, especially since I tend to get bored fairly quickly soloing. I often hear about druids and necros having hard times finding groups so I like to invite them, great partners for fear kiting.
Give it a shot out there and see what happens. I would be leery doing it at 30 because most of the mobs are level 31-36. It would probably be better at 34 since fear has a nasty reputation as having additional vs magic checks.

I think you'll also find this is considerably easier than giants as well because of the fact that giants cannot be mezzed or stunned which is the core of your protection.

Happy hunting and good luck. If you find yourself without SOW pots and don't have jboots (these are essential) I can jump on and quickly hammer out a few for you.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something'Witty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why mem blur? When your pet gets low, just invs / hide to break charm and kill it.
We're talking about fear kiting with a pet you keep here.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Give it a shot out there and see what happens. I would be leery doing it at 30 because most of the mobs are level 31-36. It would probably be better at 34 since fear has a nasty reputation as having additional vs magic checks.
Hm, I might just have to run out there and just see what happens. If the wiki is wrong it'd be nice if somebody with access could update it, it has pirates being level 24-30 and two of the drolvarg types as level 26.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Hm, I might just have to run out there and just see what happens. If the wiki is wrong it'd be nice if somebody with access could update it, it has pirates being level 24-30 and two of the drolvarg types as level 26.
It is definately wrong. Here are (as close to as possible) the level ranges:

A Pirate - 28-32 - can be Warrior or Rogue. Max level pirate has never been a warrior for me; ymmv.
A Pirate Cartographer - 30-31 - Always Rogue.
A Drolvarg Savage - 26 - 29 - Warrior.
A Drolvarg Growler - 28 - 33 - Warrior.
A Drolvarg Snarler - 32 - 36 - Warrior.

This is why I really like this area because your pet is, on average, lower level than anything else making it easier to handle for long-term charms.
Closed Thread