Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragolyche [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not on karana server. System rotation forbidden that and everyone were happy.
This server is different from how my favorite server (Brell) was, and it appears to be different from your home server as well. We're all from different servers, mate, and it can't encapsulate all of them.

This isn't Karana. It's not Povar, and it's not Brell. It isn't Quellious or Rallos Zek or Sesame Street or Little China or Zimbabwe. It's P99.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
whereas the massive variance is something we created to combat a problem and it didn't work.

you keep saying variance was created to solve a problem, and it didnt work. Im not sure if said problem was poopsocking or GM intervention, but whatever of those 2 you talking about, it certainly worked.

There is (almost) no poopsocking
There is (almost) no GM intervention

so why are you saying it didnt work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragolyche [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not on karana server. System rotation forbidden that and everyone were happy.
I doubt the rotation forbid that, the rotation pretty sure was only player, and not GM enforced. Maybe the guilds on your server were all about the same strength, but im sure if there would have been one guild dominating most of the content, they wouldn't have given a flying fuck about the rotation.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Sarnak

Thoroughly enjoying Skopes tangential analogies that have 0 connection to the argument.

However, Skope, you're missing the point that this server is not classic, period. We all have prior knowledge, web sites, word of mouth, etc etc, that put every one of us at an advantage to those back in 1999-2000. By this fact alone, arguing "is it classic" is a moot point, and you need to cease and desist.

The Guides/GM's, as previously mentioned, are doing this FOR FREE. Considering this, and the fact that removing the variance (reverting back to poopsock-mode) would insure at least tenfold the number of crying petitions, poopsocked targets, and general asshatery, I hope you can realize WHY your argument is invalid.

-Ledz

Server first Golden Sash of WTFPWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Unlike modern life, natural selection is alive and well on p99. Adapt or die.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humwawa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troy - Who the hell says it didn't?

I've played on two different servers on Live EQ.

On Brell Serilis, the end game was controlled entirely by a council of guilds who, in retrospect, manipulated the rules to ensure their superiority. It was civilized, but it was what it was - controlled content.

On Povar, there was Triton. And there was Triton. Everything else was under their heel, once RA fell to dust (through a particularly foul subterfuge on the part of Triton's leadership).

There's always a guild, or a couple warring guilds, who fight over the top tier content, either through brute force like P99, or through politics. You're looking at the game through rose-tinted glasses, I think.
In classic any guild could show up at spawn time and take a shot, sure people might not like it but GM's weren't going to enforce those player-made rules.

I play a tracking class and am not willing to spend 90+% of my play time sitting semi-AFK hitting track waiting to trigger a mass communication to the guild. Nor am I going to leave work to log on when a boss spawns, or wake up in the middle of the night, or leave dinner, or leave rehearsal, or drop anything I'm doing that is not playing EQ. A player like me could still see a lot of bosses in classic. On P99 it's unlikely I'll see one until every hardcore player is fully equipped with the best Velious gear.

So yes, I want the rules changed to something that will benefit me. That something, however, IS HOW THE GAME ACTUALLY WAS. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

hey guys. red99 will have static timers so that everyone knows when the mob is up and it will be a pvp clusterfuck. jelly?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Banned

Zepp, sooner or later variance will run into a wall, especially in velious. I've thought about the ass-hattery that would ensue, in fact i've mentioned it repeatedly. But there's ways of getting by that without having to prop up a 4 day window. The fact that they're doing it for free isn't a new concept... i've been here longer than you, friend. I know that they have zero requirement to appease the bitching, but the "is it classic?" argument has been the argument that's been brought up again and again, patch day after patch day. It's the reason p99 exists in the first place. It's a mantra that's spoken at whisper volume that guides the way this server works. When steering away from it you generally had to have a very good reason; what i'm doing is questioning this reason.

Nedala, variance or not, whoever engages first gets the target. Welcome to FTE (first to engage). This doesn't change if there's a smaller or larger window, or a window at all. A guild coming 5 minutes before the spawn has just as much right as one who's been there for 3 days. Variance is independent of FTE. Variance, originally, was introduced to discourage poopsocking and it flat out didn't work. It did for a couple of weeks, but then DA quickly got to poopsocking and IB used the excuse of "if they're doing it, we have to do it too." In fact, it probably goes back even father, but if you want a P99 history lesson this isn't the forum for it.
Last edited by Skope; 06-01-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I play a tracking class and am not willing to spend 90+% of my play time sitting semi-AFK hitting track waiting to trigger a mass communication to the guild.
Regardless of your personal priorities (which sound healthy), there are gamers who WILL do just that. You can't ask them not to do it, for your benefit.

Remove the variance and you'll likely see those same people eventually sitting on the spawnpoint, while you're sleeping your six hours before you gotta slog off to work. That's life, mate, and your choices are what they are.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humwawa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regardless of your personal priorities (which sound healthy), there are gamers who WILL do just that. You can't ask them not to do it, for your benefit.

Remove the variance and you'll likely see those same people eventually sitting on the spawnpoint, while you're sleeping your six hours before you gotta slog off to work. That's life, mate, and your choices are what they are.
The difference is that if I know the spawn is due at 3AM I can choose to camp there and wake up at 2:30, have my chance at it (maybe I win, maybe I lose), and log back off at 3:30. If it's due between 3AM Monday and 3AM Friday, I'm not likely to have a chance without spending way more than an hour of time on it. My choices were actually semi-compatible with the classic environment. Why P99 encourages a non-classic EQ>Life raiding mindset is beyond me.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzepp02 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

However, Skope, you're missing the point that this server is not classic, period. We all have prior knowledge, web sites, word of mouth, etc etc, that put every one of us at an advantage to those back in 1999-2000. By this fact alone, arguing "is it classic" is a moot point, and you need to cease and desist.
-Ledz
Last I heard, this server was supposed to be modeled after Classic EQ.

With all the bugs and everything I think we all realize it is not classic EQ and it is provided to us for free but this is one thing that could be easily changed back to classic if the GMs willed it.

BTW, wth does having prior knowledge of EQ have to do with this server supposedly being modeled after Classic EQ?

Asher
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In classic any guild could show up at spawn time and take a shot, sure people might not like it but GM's weren't going to enforce those player-made rules.

I play a tracking class and am not willing to spend 90+% of my play time sitting semi-AFK hitting track waiting to trigger a mass communication to the guild. Nor am I going to leave work to log on when a boss spawns, or wake up in the middle of the night, or leave dinner, or leave rehearsal, or drop anything I'm doing that is not playing EQ. A player like me could still see a lot of bosses in classic. On P99 it's unlikely I'll see one until every hardcore player is fully equipped with the best Velious gear.

So yes, I want the rules changed to something that will benefit me. That something, however, IS HOW THE GAME ACTUALLY WAS. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to reiterate that you have absolutely no clue how the top guilds are run or work. I hope that the vitriol you and others continue to spew serves the purpose of satisfying your need to feel like there's an outside injustice keeping you from indulging yourself in everything you think EQ should be, but it is not based in the reality of how this server works or how EQ actually was 11 years ago.

You genuinely think that only people who play bards, rangers and druids do the tracking for all of these targets?
Closed Thread