Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 05-20-2022, 03:08 PM
Sarnak

Default Are Cripple spells worth casting?

Are the cripple line of spells worth casting?

- https://wiki.project1999.com/Incapacitate
- https://wiki.project1999.com/Cripple

I've scoured the forums for details on this but only found this thread which seems inconclusive https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=cripple+spell

My questions are:

Is cripple line worth casting if you have the mana?
Does it decrease mob damage?
Does it increase dmg done to mob by melee?
Are there situtations/encounters when cripple is useful?

Thanks for coming to my TED talk on cripple. Thoughts & experiences welcome below!
Old 05-20-2022, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

That's a good question. Looking forward to one of the EQ genius's answer.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 05-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Planar Protector

On some raid mob sure. Other than that I never wasted mana on the cripple line myself, as it generally seems better to put it into dots or heals.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

It really depends on what you are fighting and who you are fighting it with.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 05-20-2022, 04:36 PM
Sarnak

Here was another entry I found: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...13&postcount=5

Quote:
To answer the question directly,. no, but!~ Cripple on mobs does HELP!
Cripple = Less damage taken by the players and more damage given by the players.
It should be done to any raid mob it's able to land on.
And some external, potentially out of era, posts like https://beastlords.org/index.php?topic=7550.0

& https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...10081174636613

Quote:
I found a parse which indicated Cripple is about 10% effective at reducing DPS. After a 75% slow, thats only another 2-3% less DPS from the mob. Other debuffs like Hand of Ro and Ro's Illumination are much more effective, HoR reduces dps by about 45%
---

Still no conclusive evidence. Where ya at DeathsSilkyMist with the deets? ��
Old 05-20-2022, 04:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still no conclusive evidence. Where ya at DeathsSilkyMist with the deets?
Lol I agree with Loramin. Cripple is really only worth casting on certain raid mobs.

Shamans have limited flexibility on their spell bar. Typically speaking you will always have Torpor, Cannibalize 4, Malo, and Turgur's Insects memorized. This leaves only 4 spell slots for Root, Dots, Insidious Decay, and maybe Gate.

Unfortunately the Cripple line of spells simply does not reduce enough damage for it to be worth putting on your spell bar for most situations in Solo/Group play.

Root or another DoT will typically end up reducing more damage in the long run, as you either don't get hit due to the mob being rooted, or you kill the mob faster via the extra DoT. Since the mob dies faster, you take less damage that way.

There may be rare situations where Cripple could work in Solo/Group play, but I have yet to come across it personally.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 05-20-2022 at 05:00 PM..
Old 05-20-2022, 05:00 PM
Planar Protector

Ive never seen anyone do any damage tables to indicate the difference in cripple vs non crippled mobs.. would love to see that.

in pvp it makes it so you cant walk which is pretty cool, but it'd be cool if it actually made the creatures you were fighting feel different but Ive never noticed anything.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, raid mobs. Any chance you can give your tank to not get 1 rounded, the better.

Its bigly on Vulak, for instance.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM
Sarnak

I, for one, use Cripple when doing WW dragons. Once slowed, their combat rounds are slow enough that I can wait for a bash+hit round and quickly mem up Cripple to cast. It's a little risky, but the reduction in hit damage IS noticeable. Then once Cripple has landed, I can wait again for the right time to swap in another DoT or somesuch.

This is easier to do with something like Cliff Golems, where your pet can tank and you can freely swap spells during combat.

Raid wise you want cripple if possible against anything it can land on, most importantly the unslowables like AoW, but really anything that hits hard enough to seriously pressure your tank. Beware though, Cripple generates LOTS of aggro, and i've gotten myself killed on raids trying to cast it 3 or more times, so use it sparingly or at the very least, stand where the tank is when casting, so you don't cause the target to come peeling off after you if you mess up.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Last edited by greenspectre; 05-24-2022 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-24-2022, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

The -AC -Agility are huge when cast on players and really pump up incoming dps. Is it similarly devastating to NPCs?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung