Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-22-2022, 12:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kinda shitty that you and your "friend" want to cheat a 20+ year old game because you can't do what literally thousands of other players can: play it by the rules, as intended.

Bullshit. The only way to lose your character is to break the rules (which are very clearly posted), as you did.

Hell, I've (god I'm embarrassed to say this) mistakenly accused the founders of this server of violating intellectual property law! ... and I'm still playing, with no characters lost. (Thank you again for your forgiveness, benevolent overlords Rogean and Nilbog.)
God you sound old
Old 05-22-2022, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bullshit. The only way to lose your character is to break the rules (which are very clearly posted), as you did.
False. I clearly outlined a scenario in which you could be banned in which you did nothing against any rules. A friend afk/semi afk with audio triggers that alt tabs back to buff me when requested isn't boxing nor is it breaking any rules I'm aware of. It could certainly easily be interpreted as boxing though and if you aren't prepared to pass a boxing test at a moments notice you could be falsely labeled/banned very easily.

I personally lost my main account due to having a (inactive) 3rd party program running in the background that I forgot to close before launching P99 for 5 minutes when I was playing another server that allows said program. Did I break the rules? Technically yes. However, it was never actually used or even configured to work on P99 but their judge/jury/executioner DLL picked it up and I was labeled a cheater regardless and it sort of felt like attempts at appeal weren't taken seriously or even really considered. The point at which I supposedly "cheated" I was logged in to the game for less than 20 minutes and hadn't been logged in for months prior. I literally logged in to give a friend something and talk to a couple people for a minute then logged off. I never even left EC tunnel from memory. But apparently that constitutes being an unforgivable hackerman and staff feel it justified to torch my thousands of hours of investment over it. As you can tell I'm a bit salty about it still.

Inb4 trolls tell me I deserved it
Last edited by PlsNoBan; 05-22-2022 at 02:22 PM..
Old 05-22-2022, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
False. I clearly outlined a scenario in which you could be banned in which you did nothing against any rules. A friend afk/semi afk with audio triggers that alt tabs back to buff me when requested isn't boxing nor is it breaking any rules I'm aware of.
It is boxing (you're playing two accounts at once: your's and your "friend's"), plus you're breaking the rules on automation:

Quote:
3. You may not kill NPC's while you are not at your PC.

It is against the rules to "afk camp" any NPC or groups of NPC's by placing a pet nearby and letting it kill while you are away from your computer. Any other form of "afk camping", such as faction killing, is also against the rules, and you may be subject to disciplinary action.

In addition to this rule, and further explained in section 5, you may not Forage items using any automated program (hardware or software).
and:

Quote:
5. You may not use third-party programs on Project 1999.

The use of any third-party programs on Project 1999, including but not limited to, Macroquest/Macroquest2(MQ/MQ2), ShowEQ(SEQ), or any other program that interacts with the Everquest Titanium Client, is strictly prohibited. Use of any third-party programs will be detected and will result in the permanent banning of your account(s). No exceptions will be made, and once a ban has been enacted for violation of this rule it will not be reversed.

This includes programmable keyboards or other devices that creates multiple inputs for a single keystroke or automated task.

Wineq2 by Lavishsoft is the exception to this rule. In addition, any program that strictly reads log files is acceptable.
- https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=325349

Every other player of this game (again, literally thousands of people) play the game with one account; they don't play multiple accounts, automated or otherwise. If they want buffs from another class, they ask a human playing that class.

You're the only one who felt the need to cheat and setup AFK buffing for yourself using multiple accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graahle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
God you sound old
Yes, I'm a very old 40-year old. Get off my damn lawn!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 05-22-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-22-2022, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
It is boxing (you're playing two accounts at once: your's and your "friend's"), plus you're breaking the rules on automation
I'm not sure if you're trolling me or just don't understand what I was saying. In this situation I had an actual real life human being friend of mine that was at work and couldn't actively play but would have happily sat around semi afk and buffed me occasionally. This LOOKS like boxing to an outsiders perspective. It's not actually boxing. I'm not playing my "friends" account. He's playing his own account just not fully at the keyboard. No automation is taking place. He isn't "afk camping" anything. A program like GINA would be used (expressly permitted by Rogean himself) to alert him when I sent a tell for buffs. Which he would then manually buff me. No automation is happening and no boxing is happening. No rules are being broken. We chose not to do it because it LOOKS bad and could get you falsely banned for something you did not do. I'm not sure if I could spell this out any clearer.

The 3rd party program thing is a totally separate issue in which I was technically guilty and fully admit as much. It was simply my argument in that case that I had an inactive program in the background that wasn't even configured to work on P99 and thus was not actually cheating. I simply got marked as such by the anticheat and staff didn't care to investigate any further. Or they did and decided a 5 minute mistake in which no actual cheating took place was worthy of a permanent ban. Either way I respectfully disagree but they're fully within their rights to do what they did. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna be a little upset about it. I think anyone being honest with themselves would understand why I might feel that way if they were in my shoes.
Last edited by PlsNoBan; 05-22-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Old 05-25-2022, 02:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure if you're trolling me or just don't understand what I was saying. In this situation I had an actual real life human being friend of mine that was at work and couldn't actively play but would have happily sat around semi afk and buffed me occasionally. This LOOKS like boxing to an outsiders perspective. It's not actually boxing. I'm not playing my "friends" account. He's playing his own account just not fully at the keyboard. No automation is taking place. He isn't "afk camping" anything. A program like GINA would be used (expressly permitted by Rogean himself) to alert him when I sent a tell for buffs. Which he would then manually buff me. No automation is happening and no boxing is happening. No rules are being broken. We chose not to do it because it LOOKS bad and could get you falsely banned for something you did not do. I'm not sure if I could spell this out any clearer.

The 3rd party program thing is a totally separate issue in which I was technically guilty and fully admit as much. It was simply my argument in that case that I had an inactive program in the background that wasn't even configured to work on P99 and thus was not actually cheating. I simply got marked as such by the anticheat and staff didn't care to investigate any further. Or they did and decided a 5 minute mistake in which no actual cheating took place was worthy of a permanent ban. Either way I respectfully disagree but they're fully within their rights to do what they did. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna be a little upset about it. I think anyone being honest with themselves would understand why I might feel that way if they were in my shoes.
If your friend is not on your account or the same IP address and is truely at work this is completely legal and they would not bother you. For good form if you are concerned you can request they take you off IP exempt status. You will only get busted if you truely are boxing. If your friend is afk next to you, the guides can see they are not on the same IP address. They can also tell if you actually have an IP exemption also.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your friend is not on your account or the same IP address and is truely at work this is completely legal and they would not bother you ... You will only get busted if you truely are boxing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your friend is not on your account or the same IP address and is truely at work this is completely legal and they would not bother you. For good form if you are concerned you can request they take you off IP exempt status. You will only get busted if you truely are boxing. If your friend is afk next to you, the guides can see they are not on the same IP address. They can also tell if you actually have an IP exemption also.
I personally do not believe this is true. I think if you appear to be boxing and someone reports it and a GM investigates there's a real chance they issue a box test regardless of IP or exemption status. If what you were saying is true then anyone could just get away with boxing if they had a method to play 2 accounts from different IP's. Just having a different IP isn't a get out of jail free card as your statement seems to imply.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I personally do not believe this is true. I think if you appear to be boxing and someone reports it and a GM investigates there's a real chance they issue a box test regardless of IP or exemption status. If what you were saying is true then anyone could just get away with boxing if they had a method to play 2 accounts from different IP's. Just having a different IP isn't a get out of jail free card as your statement seems to imply.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's very, very simple: box and risk getting banned. Don't box, and play with 100% peace and security, with no fear of losing your account (unless you break another rule, like say using a keypress program).

Old 05-25-2022, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't box, and play with 100% peace and security
Sorry I don't buy it. You'll never convince me that it's impossible to get banned for suspected boxing when you weren't actually boxing. There's no 100% foolproof way to know one way or another and if it looks bad enough you're gonna get nailed regardless of if you're actually guilty or not. That's just the way it is. Unless you believe P99 staff is omnipresent and can tell with certainty who is/isn't boxing at any given time? That's a crazytown belief but you seem to be of that opinion.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Sorry I don't buy it. You'll never convince me that it's impossible to get banned for suspected boxing when you weren't actually boxing. There's no 100% foolproof way to know one way or another and if it looks bad enough you're gonna get nailed regardless of if you're actually guilty or not. That's just the way it is. Unless you believe P99 staff is omnipresent and can tell with certainty who is/isn't boxing at any given time? That's a crazytown belief but you seem to be of that opinion.
Believe what you want, but this server has been going for over a decade, with (literally) tens of thousands of players all having no problem whatsoever.