Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Planar Protector

btw this is why groups are kind of crucial. just soloing through levels - yikes. going around and forming groups is what makes the grind tolerable, imo
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Planar Protector

Don't level too fast! You'll miss much of the content that makes this game great.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
Orc

Problem at like levels 3-8, especially in EC/FP area is a lot of things either become green/light blue or yellow/red so you're stuck killing a crapload of smaller mobs (which isn't necessarily bad for your first toon, since that = more loot) but you get significantly more exp from something closer to your own level. It's somewhat better in other leveling areas. Gfay (Crushbone, belts/pads quests) or Qeynos(Blackburrow+gnoll fang quest) are the quickest areas to get to level 16, even 20 IMO.

The balance between what you can fight efficiently (see: not take too much dmg/create downtime) and the xp the mob gives will change as you level. As melee that curve starts to suck (less so for monk) earlier than it does for casters. And for mage/necro/drui/shm/enc, it pretty much stays flat your whole career as they can solo db/white/yello for the majority of the leveling process.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

Best tips I can give, although most have already been covered:

- familiarize yourself with high xp quest turn-ins. Most of these have already been mentioned, such as bone chips, red wine, orc belts, gnoll fangs, etc. Many of these are in the 1-20 level range only.

- minimize downtime. This might be stare-you-in-the-face obvious, but less downtime = more time killing = faster xp gains. Gear and buffs make a HUGE difference here. This category also covers the mobs you aim to kill. It is generally faster xp to mass slaughter light blues than to struggle to kill whites and have plenty of downtime.

- some zones have higher ZEM than others. Get to know where to hunt for maximum efficiency.

- some class / race combinations level faster than others. Something to be aware of.

Above all, as others have mentioned, keep in mind that this game is meant to take a long time to level. Mind you, things are much faster now than on classic or even this server when it first started: you can now have a fresh to the server character outfitted in gear that would have taken you a year to obtain previously (or longer) with minimal difficulty. However, things are still slower here than in modern MMOs, and you need to wrap your head around that. To echo many others, classic EQ isn't for everyone - especially the modern generation of instant gratification.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Planar Protector

Log in to an xp hotspot group, take plenty of bandages/food/whatever. Make some meals in advance (preferably ones that you can reheat in the microwave) and sit there for 6 hours.

Only loot valuable /stackable/low weight items and don't waste time making runs to sell. Just sit and enjoy the xp grind... it helps to play an engaging class [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 01-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisen223 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't mind the slow speed by the way, I just wanted to see if there were any other ways I could speed it up, because killing skeletons and Deathfist pawns was getting repetitive and boring fast. Thanks for the helpful answers anyways, and no, I like the game so I don't feel like switching.
The challenge with levels 2-4 is finding appropriate level mobs. Ignoring monk xp enalty, at Level 1 one needs 1000xp to level and gets 75xp per kill from each L1 mob. At L2 one needs 8000xp and gets 600xp for each L2 and 75xp for each L1.

By L4 one requires 64000xp to level and you still (assuming they are not green) get 75xp per pawn/skelly, meaning you'd need to kill around 850 to level. Conversely, you get 2025xp per each L3 mob that you kill, meaning you only need to kill 32. The problem is that many newby zones have few or no L3 mobs.

Orcs in Gfay spawn at along a wide range of levels and can and are regularly grouped. Just be sure to stay group with players within 1 or 2 levels of your own at low levels because xp is distributed similarly based on level (i.e. A level 4 will get 64/65 of the xp from a mob if grouped with a L1.

Again, this ignores class/race penalties and group bonuses, but should give you an idea how to improve the xp flow: fight things as close to your level as possible.
Last edited by maskedmelon; 01-09-2015 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Corrected auto-correct
Old 01-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Aviak

Once you get past the initial level 1-10ish hurdle of finding mobs without a very narrow level range (not too low to not give decent xp, not too high to kill you), each level actually takes the same amount of time until level 30, assuming you kill blue con mobs. After that, level 30 and each 5th level after that is a hell level that takes around three times longer than a normal level, and after each 5th level (31, 36, etc.), the following 4 levels take around 10% longer than the previous batch of 5 levels. At 50 it goes berserk with even higher xp requirements.

So, just wanted to give you a little encouragement that the first 30 levels are actually fairly forgiving xp-wise, compared to the rest of the game at least. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Sarnak

By joining Red.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Planar Protector

One thing to remember on a lot of the Quests, Belts in CB, Orc scalps, Gnoll Fangs, etc, is that if you are a evil class on average it ain't happening. You do NOT have the faction to even get in the zone to turn in, let alone do the turn in.

And it is not even close to trying to get faction. By that time you could have just ground out 10 levels and be ahead of the game. I am not saying don't play evil classes, probably close to half my toons are one, just keep that in mind when you play one. No classes get FD at a low enough level to even bother with any of these quests. And you are really probably not going to inviz, sneak past enough guards, and they hit hard as hell, etc, turn in guy, to bother. I am not saying it can't be done but.. Do Quests in your home city, a lot faster.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zliz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Once you get past the initial level 1-10ish hurdle of finding mobs without a very narrow level range (not too low to not give decent xp, not too high to kill you), each level actually takes the same amount of time until level 30, assuming you kill blue con mobs.
I do not think you are right about that. If you really think it only takes as long to go from level 29 to 30 as it did from 10 to level 11 you must play on a lot different server than I do. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread