Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

I would list everything you mentioned as a pro and makes the game better than p99

There is almost literally nothing challenging in classic eq so I don't feel like removing headaches rakes anything away from the game
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Last edited by enjchanter; 01-24-2024 at 07:28 PM..
Old 01-24-2024, 11:12 PM
Aviak

The Solo Artist Challenge has always been quite challenging on p99 for those willing to take on those risky battles solo. Especially true as you work your way down toward the harder mobs on the list.

My take away from a month or two of TLP play several years ago was that my character on the TLP seemed more powerful there than equivalent leveled p99 character. To me this felt "off" and slightly overpowered to what I was used to. Ultimately the slightly easier gameplay lead to me losing interest on the TLP much earlier than I would have here.

The simplest way to put it is that it felt more "Arcade-like" with less downtime and less risk involved in trying things. I noticed I only enjoyed playing on a TLP for maybe 45 min to an hour before I was done. Here on p99 that would have been a multiple hour session. Overall for me this made TLPs less fun and less immersive to me overall compared with p99.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:29 AM
Planar Protector

Similar to origin is the return home button. I liked that one. It let your character head back to it’s starter city ‘offscreen’ letting you start a new adventure next time you played (iirc you had to be offline for 8 hours for it to become available).

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-25-2024, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

Oh yeah, I didn't see the "Rest" mechanic in the list if it was there. That's a big game-changer. Is that present on the TLPs? I only made it as far as making a human cleric in freeport and gave up because I didn't like the revamped zone/graphics either.

-Mcoy
Old 01-25-2024, 11:06 AM
Planar Protector

For the most part QoL doesn't affect veteran players very much. QoL features would probably get more players in the door of P99, but making the game easier would also have players leaving faster.

It's a conundrum that is difficult to solve. P99 has nostalgia going for it, which is how it recruits most players. They are already willing to put up with some clunkiness to relive the Everquest experience.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:06 PM
Sarnak

I have definitely experienced my wife struggling with clunky EQ in P99 and not wanting to play for many sessions from time to time (she is not a gamer), and I think that all of those things would probably help her to enjoy the game and not get so flustered/stressed/want to take so many breaks.

That being said, that is not EQ in my opinion, and if I wanted to play a game with all of that quality of life improvement with her I would have just had her play classic WoW with me or any number of modern MMOs.

That's not to say I won't someday play on a TLP if life is busy and I want something that is kind of like the EQ I remember without the time commitment, maybe have my kids play too.

I do think there are things in that list that anyone could pick and choose but ultimately as has been said all of it combined makes for a vastly different game.
Old 01-25-2024, 11:27 PM
Fire Giant

Cool with non QOL for the most part, but wtf is the problem with shared bank?
Wouldn't this actually help the GMs with less issues with fraud acusations on trades?
Old 01-26-2024, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

I quit live eq and abandoned any desire to even consider TLPs right around the time they revamped the common lands and Freeport. It upset me to know that I could never again go back and visit those zones and experience them (at least visually) the way they always were. It was the straw that broke the camels back.

I legitimately loved the game and each of the first half-dozen or more expansions. I personally feel the game peaked around PoP but still had a ton of fun through OoW. From there it slowly declined.

As EQ expansions marched onward, the game felt smaller and smaller and less complex/interactive. Travel was too fast. The game was too easy. The communities and players became more insular. Everyone boxed. Mercenaries really killed the grouping game.

In my last year or 2 I ultimately entertained myself by using Macroquest2. I copied my characters to test server so I could play for free on as many accounts as I wanted. I wrote some pretty complex macro scripts to automatically play all but my primary character and could load 6 instances at a time to have my own custom built group that always played/reacted perfectly. Novelty wore off and I logged in less and less.

I know we may all be tired of p99 since it’s stagnated forever at Velious … but this project is truly a magnificent thing. The aggressive stance on policing basic things like no hacks and no botting was icing on the cake. As tempted as I have been at times to load a 2nd instance to do something as simple as buff, rez or port myself … it is the fact that I can’t/shouldn’t that makes this server so great. It’s the reliance on others to get what you want/need or achieve certain goals that keeps some of the original eq magic alive.

First time I logged into p99 and made my way to EC tunnel to see the vibrant hawking of goods - nearly brought a tear to my eye.

#nostalgia
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-26-2024, 04:47 PM
Aviak

Thank you everyone! The latest episode is up!

Are TLP's EZ mode?