Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomaroast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Somehow over the last decade the playerbase on P99 has gotten worse. We all know the raiding scene has always been toxic and stupid, but lately even just hanging out in low level dungeons is toxic af. People train without smashing a train hotkey. Lots of people will just ignore you if you try to interact with them. Half the players in groups are afk or barely paying attention.

The playerbase on P99 sucks, and it's a damn shame.
I don't agree with your conclusions, but I've thought about why p99 (socially and emerging gameplay) is so much different than live. There are the usual suspects: game knowledge now is vast, player experience is vast, better connections, non-classic UIs, 3rd party software, etc.

But I think it is mostly a generational thing. On live the average player was a GenX or older (meaning growing up without internet, online games, mmos, etc.). Many came to EQ from their pnp (pen and paper games, like AD&D) backgrounds and treated the virtual world like an extension of their experience with pnp games. The average age (from what I recall surveys showing 20 years ago) put the average player age at about 25-30 years old.

If this same demographic were playing today the average player would 45-50 years old. While those players still exist, most of the server isn't that demographic now. They are younger. The majority of players I've met on p99, especially in the uber guild game, are closer to 30-35...which means that they were the young kids that your guild on live wouldn't tag because they were too immature for adult guild conversation.

These players of that younger generation play EQ like it is any other video game, and that's not how it used to be played. The result is that much of the behavior that so many find unlike their memories from live.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not calling the players on p99 "immature" or even putting them down. I'm just pointing out that they play games differently.

In some ways, its actually a really cool sociology experiment.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Sarnak

Lol. More likely the people playing ARE older, and grandpa needs to be woken up in between pulls, or dada needs to burp the baby and change a diaper.

In my case, I need to be woken up AND burped in between pulls.

I do like your flex to blame the youth though. Real boomer of you, sir.

Maeraculous - 60 Enchanter
Old 12-28-2020, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaerx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol. More likely the people playing ARE older, and grandpa needs to be woken up in between pulls, or dada needs to burp the baby and change a diaper.

In my case, I need to be woken up AND burped in between pulls.

I do like your flex to blame the youth though. Real boomer of you, sir.
I'm not a boomer...and I was on the younger than the average player in 1999...so, if I'm accidentally blaming "them" then I would have to include myself with them.

And, I specifically went out out of my way to say that the way the younger generation plays games isn't better or worse than any other generation.

What is interesting to me is that it is different, at all. People don't play games like EQ the way they used to. If anything, I've become more like the younger players by hanging out with them so much...whereas on live I was more like the older players who I spent most of my time in game with.

Brad McQuaid, for example, would be 51 years old if he were alive today. Do you really think the way he played games isn't different than what we see in younger gamers today? Again, not better or worse, just a change.
Last edited by fastboy21; 12-28-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Old 12-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Sarnak

I entirely disagree. I guarantee your groups are being carried by the youth. All of the best players I know, attentiveness or otherwise, are younger than I am. Across every single game I've played. That's just the way of the world, my dude. Everquest is a unique exception where game KNOWLEDGE provides a degree of functionality in a group or raid setting. But beyond that, we lose in reaction time and attentiveness, on average.

But yes, I do think there are difference between the older generations and the younger. Older gamers are far more casual, and every younger gamer wants to be Shroud. That lends to the opposite conclusion of yours.

Last edited by xmaerx; 12-28-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Old 12-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaerx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I entirely disagree. I guarantee your groups are being carried by the youth. All of the best players I know, attentiveness or otherwise, are younger than I am. Across every single game I've played. That's just the way of the world, my dude. Everquest is a unique exception where game KNOWLEDGE provides a degree of functionality in a group or raid setting. But beyond that, we lose in reaction time and attentiveness, on average.

But yes, I do think there are difference between the older generations and the younger. Older gamers are far more casual, and every younger gamer wants to be Shroud.
I'm not sure what you disagree with me about. It seems we agree on the only point I was trying to make: that there are generation differences between how people think about and play games --- especially complex social games, like EQ. And that those generational differences create different patterns of emergent gameplay on p99 compared to live.

I never meant to say that younger players aren't as good as older players (or vice versa). It is probably objectively true that younger players, all other things being equal (including game knowledge) are better than older players as you said just due to physical differences...but I wasn't trying to argue for/against that in my post.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Banned

im 40 and i play eve online while working very casually. I do not care about farming treasures or items. The only thing i do is make people mad because its just more fun. I spend time camping people trying to mine and do little lemming tasks then blow them up.

When they all log off, i do as well with a mission accomplished.

When i played aradune in an average 30 day month i was suspended for around 20 days.

I killed hundreds of stupid druids in ocean of tears dispelling their snares while they kite seafuries and they are so dumb they just kept casting it over and over, then i got a huge wall of text which is ultimately what i wanted.

People online are babies now, its just sad. The only solution is PVP
Old 12-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure what you disagree with me about.

The entire point of the thread was that the group culture is totally worse now. Of course it is. Because everyone's old and busy. Your conclusion is that the people playing now are younger, and of a different generation, and.. on their phones or something?

"If this same demographic were playing today the average player would 45-50 years old. While those players still exist, most of the server isn't that demographic now. They are younger. "

BS. Everybody is juggling children, playing from work, or failing to burn the midnight oil because it ran out 2 decades ago. The average age of players on P99 is definitely higher than the average age of players in classic.

I'm specifically saying: "Everybody is old and casual and the cause of these problems." Everyone knows this, and is various degrees of understanding.

Old 12-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Banned

consider blue
Old 12-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
im 40 and i play eve online while working very casually. I do not care about farming treasures or items. The only thing i do is make people mad because its just more fun. I spend time camping people trying to mine and do little lemming tasks then blow them up.

When they all log off, i do as well with a mission accomplished.

When i played aradune in an average 30 day month i was suspended for around 20 days.

I killed hundreds of stupid druids in ocean of tears dispelling their snares while they kite seafuries and they are so dumb they just kept casting it over and over, then i got a huge wall of text which is ultimately what i wanted.

People online are babies now, its just sad. The only solution is PVP
This guy is deep deep red.

Obvious maximum high threat on red 99 2.0
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The entire point of the thread was that the group culture is totally worse now. Of course it is. Because everyone's old and busy. Your conclusion is that the people playing now are younger, and of a different generation, and.. on their phones or something?

"If this same demographic were playing today the average player would 45-50 years old. While those players still exist, most of the server isn't that demographic now. They are younger. "

BS. Everybody is juggling children, playing from work, or failing to burn the midnight oil because it ran out 2 decades ago. The average age of players on P99 is definitely higher than the average age of players in classic.

I'm specifically saying: "Everybody is old and casual and the cause of these problems." Everyone knows this, and is various degrees of understanding.
My comments don't piggy-back on the purpose of this thread. So, if this thread is all about finding what is wrong with p99 that isn't what my comments were meant to be about.

Second, age and generation are not the same thing. On average, the people playing today on p99 are probably older than the players who played back in 1999 on live, but they are of a different generation. For example, there are less GenX'ers on p99 than Millennials, whereas on live it was probably the other way around. If that is true then it would have big implications for the way the game is played.

I don't agree with you that everyone on p99 is "old and casual" --- I'm not sure what that would mean given the number of people who clearly play this game in 2020 like it is a career/life choice.
Closed Thread